World Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
World Vision President Richard Stearns
Richard Stearns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work culture, good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Supportive work environment for all staff (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • That puts pressure on the work/life balance and often limits career growth (in 10 reviews)

• Bias against hiring from within the Non-profit sector for many positions as for-profit experience deemed preferable (in 14 reviews)

1. "Senior Program Officer"

Current Employee - Senior Program Ojfficer in Russia, Clinton, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Program Ojfficer in Russia, Clinton, NY

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. A leading Christian Organization committed to work for Sustainable Development
    2. Child focused Organization to help the Poor and oppressed people. Very much concern to Child safety and security.
    3. Relief oriented Organization to response rapidly to save people from disaster and from any crucial crisis.
    4. Love & Serve people as per Gospel asked by Lord Jesus Christ.
    5. Good concern to Staff and their Family members.
    6. Good attitude to all people with out making any discrimination like Religion and Color of skin.
    7. Good leadership overall in the world.

Cons

No downside I have found yet.

Advice to Management

I think the Management of WV is very nice. So don't have any advice to them.

2. "A great place to work and grow, just make sure you follow the rules (no matter how silly)"

Former Employee - Donor Services Representative I in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Donor Services Representative I in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very family friendly atmosphere where their Christian Commitment is evident through basic work and Chapels/devotion times offered.

Cons

They have a few policies that have been changed within attendance. This is the silly part, in turn if you are out for any reason for some time in the year, you are out.

Advice to Management

Change of the attendance policy to look at medical absences as something different. Also keeping the work areas sanitized consistently keeping workers healthy and consistently able to come in.

"Area Director"

Current Employee - Area Director in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Area Director in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible mission and world class international development experts. World Vision's transformational model is the most effective way to change poverty and we are seeing excellent progress as a result.

Cons

Constant re-orgs and cost cutting. The benefit is World Vision has a tireless pursuit to get as much money as possible to the field, however it can make for a challenging work environment at times.

4. "Amazing mission"

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coming to work every day with a focus on helping others is a blessing and something you don't get in the for-profit world. Being able to pray among your fellow staff about the work is a true privilege. It's still a business and needs to be run as such. There is a fine balance to applying marketing rigor in a way that is mindful to the importance of seeking God first and considering the need to be relational with staff.

Cons

Recent years have meant a lot of transition at the leadership level. Often that translates to stress and frustration to the teams who are struggling with how to understand and apply new approaches and processes. In today's tight economies in the NGO world, we are being asked to do more with less. That puts pressure on the work/life balance and often limits career growth. As things improve in the future, these issues should resolve as well.

Advice to Management

Be sure and listen to your teams in the trenches, and spend more time on Change Management there to help realize the new processes and skills needed.

5. "Wonderful place to work"

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

The work we do at World Vision is so meaningful and impactful. We are a Christian oganization with over 200 different denominations represented. Even though employees have different opinions, theologies and expressions of Christianity, we come together for a mission we believe in. The culture at WV is incredible -- supportive managers who invest in you, a wonderful leadership team, and tons of support both professionally and personally. Opportunity for growth, learning and professional development. A unique opportunity to combine your faith life and professional life. I would also say the compensation is good (compared to other non-profits) and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

Location. The Federal Way office is halfway between Seattle and Tacoma, and commuting from either location can be tough in terms of traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Great mission"

Former Employee - Finance Officer
    Former Employee - Finance Officer

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really smart and loving and thoughtful people at World Vision. Everyone has a heart for serving poor children globally, and that is an amazing goal to be working toward.

Cons

It is a big organization, so it can be hard to feel like you're working for a big corporation that has layoffs and such.

7. "World Vision US"

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing colleagues in the International Programs Department and in our National Offices. The level of passion and commitment is inspiring.

Cons

As the World Vision US headquarters office is a Support Office, the majority of its functions surround fundraising and marketing. If your primary interest is programming, it may be beneficial to be located in WVUS' Washington DC office rather than US headquarters.

Advice to Management

The current atmosphere of divisional reorganizations has led to lowered morale in several departments. Consider limited reorganizations with clearer communication plans.

8. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, top talent

Cons

Still maturing as an organization

9. "Come for the mission"

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

Inspiring mission. Great work-life balance. Opportunities to travel internationally for some positions. Open to process improvement. Management and executives are approachable and open to input. Organization challenges itself to do better and not accept the status quo.

Cons

Career growth must be driven by the individual. Bias against hiring from within the Non-profit sector for many positions as for-profit experience deemed preferable.

10. "Managed a portfolio of overseas programs from the HQ finance perspective"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership
    Supportive and encouraging office culture
    Place where faith and work can be integrated
    Interesting and meaningful work
    Opportunities to travel

Cons

Not always clear career path or next steps
    Hours can be long depending on position
    Have been numerous restructurings in recent years

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work