World Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
World Vision President Richard Stearns
Richard Stearns

Pros
  • Supportive environment; strong work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Supportive work environment for all staff (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenging work life balance overall (in 8 reviews)

• Since it's a non-profit, they are a bit behind the times in regards to technology and (in 9 reviews)

"Prospect Development"

Current Employee - Research Director in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for an organization that does so much to improve lives of families and children around the world. It feels wonderful to be part of such a noble cause.

Cons

The complexity of the work can be daunting.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clear communications regarding annual goals, what changes the organization faces, and continue to invest in people who do the work.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their work has powerful impact hear in the US and across the world. They produce some of the best content of any organization I've ever worked with. You certainly get to play a part of something bigger.

Cons

They mean well, but often bureaucracy, silos, and keeping information as currency kills great ideas and disrupts progress. Often the requirement for buy-in across large cross functional teams muddles the outcome of projects. The work cut off and be done with half to one third the people involved. More agility is needed.

Advice to Management

Change. Trust the experts you have employed and give them more power to make decisions that can drive results. Hire more experts at the top of their field. The investment will be worth it. Yearly surveys don't cut it.

Apr 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

Improving our agility is a key focus for us. Some of the elements you describe - eliminating bureaucracy, hiring experts, enabling the right people to lead out versus having too many people involved ... More

"Place of hypocrites"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are few wonderful people there

Cons

The company is full of people who have big egos and are hypocrites. They pretend to be humanitarian and Christian and go to donors to get funding but they treat their employees very badly with racism and evil soul. There is so much hierarchy and unfairness.

Advice to Management

You need to act based on what you pretend to say to donors.

Apr 7, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

It breaks my heart to read your review. We are listening to our employees through a number of venues - anonymous surveys, focus groups, employee emailbox to senior leadership and more. And, we are ... More

5. "World Vision as an organization"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a charitable organization WV strives to serve the poorest of the poor. They have a decent salary structure with benefits.

Cons

The headquarters in Federal Way, WA treats the satellite locations as step children. Promotion from within is practically non existent even when hiring for the satellite location.

Advice to Management

Get focused on Kingdom principals as opposed to those of the world and the organization will do much better.

6. "A wonderful, God centered place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible interview process, allowing you to feel completely involved in each step. Phone interview was lengthy, but I felt all areas were being addressed thoroughly. Once I started, it was a few weeks before I got the "hang" and "flow" of the company down. Working for a non-profit is in every way possible different than working for a for-profit. Chapel every Wednesday helps you keep your work in-line with your faith.

Cons

On-boarding process is not defined. You can either learn a whole lot about the company all at once, while not really learning anything about how your position works towards WV goals - or from what I have heard from other employees - you can dive right in to your new job and wait 3 to 6 months to get a solid background on the company. New Employee orientation should take place more frequently.

7. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Deep care for children in need around the world. Strong knowledge of how to fight poverty. Love of Christ.

Cons

Could do a bit more for children in the U.S.

"Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Vision (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice work environment, good collaborative team enviroment

Cons

Constrained by their evangelical values

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+Relatively competitive compensation compared to other non-profit organizations
    +Despite the challenges, there are still several godly leaders who want to serve Christ
    +Inspiring chapel messages and worship
    +Time for team devotions
    +Annual day of prayer where the office gathers for worship and prayer
    +Pension and retirement matching provided to staff
    +Generous vacation and sick leave offered

Cons

World Vision is facing an identity crisis and is no longer perceived by churches/evangelicals as a trustworthy Christian organization, dedicated to spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. Instead, the work is focused on meeting 'physical' needs. Evangelism is not a goal for this organization, which explains why so many Christians now support other evangelical Christian groups like Samaritan's Purse.

The organization's finances are struggling badly and things do not seem to be getting better anytime soon, which means more layoffs and cost-cutting is likely to come.

Despite hiring new senior leadership team members, the organization moves TOO SLOWLY and wastes millions of donor dollars through bureaucracy, politics, power plays, and inability to adjust to the expectations of the supposed core donor, evangelical Christians.

Toxic leaders and work environments exist across the organization, especially in the IT department. Turnover is very high in many departments and though concerns are raised to HR and through exit interviews, NOTHING IS DONE.

Since the organization has been struggling so badly, work life balance has taken a negative hit. Directors and managers often work more than 50 hour work weeks and expect their exempt staff to do the same. Staff are expected to be online working at home at night with their laptop and on the weekends. You will even see staff working on Sunday mornings when Christians would normally go to church to worship! It is a common joke that evenings and weekends are for 'email and work time' and that the workday is for meetings.

The health insurance offered is terribly expensive and the maternity and paternity leave offered is a joke compared to other companies in Seattle/Bellevue.

The location is really out of the way in Federal Way; most people these days want to work in Seattle.

Training/tuition assistance opportunities are basically nonexistent now that money is so tight.

Advice to Management

World Vision was founded as an evangelical organization committed to spreading the gospel of Christ. You have to get back to those roots or evangelicals won't support World Vision. Are we just another basically secular charity with Christian 'ethos' or a group dedicated to making Jesus famous? This needs to be clarified.

Improve work life balance for staff, address the toxic culture/leadership that exists in the organization, and listen to your staff when they raise concerns. Actually consider acting on the annual employee survey.

"A great place to work if you have passion for humanitarian efforts"

Former Employee - Donor Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Donor Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about causes and some solutions for world-wide humanitarian issues. Met so many passionate people to devote their lives for the humanitarian work.

Cons

Too many programs are running and lost the efficiency.

"Exceptional Goal, Unqualified directors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing mission. upper management (CEO, VP level) are people that inspire you with their work and experience. Brilliance that makes you want to follow their lead

Cons

Heavy Director level staffing, unqualified and negatively impact the cost of doing the work (they are expensive, their errors are time consuming, and their poor leader ship causes turnover of good people)

Advice to Management

Take note of the fact that your exit interviews have a focus on the level of hostility in the work environment. You have a toxic work environment which is in contrast to the Christian mission

Dec 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

We do invest in exit interviews in an effort to identify opportunities for continuously improving our workplace to be a great place to work to do the work we do. Most recently we have embarked on a ... More