World Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
World Vision President Richard Stearns
Richard Stearns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Supportive environment; strong work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Supportive work environment for all staff (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenging work life balance overall (in 8 reviews)

• Salary is low even in the non-profit industry (in 12 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment- Positive- Encouraging-uplifting- great team environment- works and plays well with others

Cons

Compensation lower than most companies, but it is understandable since it is a NGO

Advice to Management

keep up the great job!!

2. "Spiritually fulfilling, working on some organizational health issues"

Current Employee - Entry Level
    Current Employee - Entry Level

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team is full of diverse political and spiritual practices (within Christianity) and celebrates that diversity respectfully. I feel spiritually fed working here!! I also sense that the organization is really trying to achieve better organizational health goals, and I'm excited to see those changes move forward.

Cons

Lower salary than similar nonprofits.
    The way we practice corporate spirituality does not lift up examples of the spiritual practices of the very diverse Church around the world.
    Sometimes employees and even senior leadership talk about the people we serve by only describing what they are lacking - I think we're getting better at showing children with smiles and a full life, but sometimes we can fall into the trap of forgetting to use asset-based language to talk about the communities we serve.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership, please avoid talking about how you gave up "so much" to come to WV (mostly you talk about the pay cut compared to your previous corporate jobs). This sounds kind of tone deaf when you're saying it to a room of career non-profit professionals, who have always chosen the lower salary in order to fulfill their vocational calling.
    Keep communicating down the pike, and engaging the "lowest" in the organization in the changes that are happening. Continue to explore ways to better value the your employees compared to other faith-based NGOs, especially with career advancement opportunities and compensation packages.

3. "Senior Technical Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At more senior levels it can reward those with an entreprenuerial mindset, that don't mind taking the initiative and risk to create value. There is a real and acknolwledged opportunity to transform lives at a scale not easily achieved elsewhere. Having over 99% of our staff working in their home communities, means that the organization has a very local, and long-term relational presence in the communities with whom we partner and serve.

Cons

The complexity of the organization (related to both scope and scale of work) in addition to regular staff reorganizations, shifts in strategy, and new processes and technology can leave some longing for greater simplicity and continuity. Adaptive personalities do better than those uncomfortable with uncertainty.

4. "Senior Operations Manager"

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

Everyone is working towards the same goal - increase the percentage of funds sent to the field, thereby changing more lives for the good.

Cons

Sometimes people are "too nice" to one another - we need to have the hard conversations, in love.

Advice to Management

Continue to increase transparency required between groups and hold people accountable.

"Account Manager, Philanthropy Relationship Officer"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision (More than 5 years)

Pros

Organization comprised of Christian's doing wonderful work in the name of Jesus.

Cons

Has flaws as any organization or church does, as is normal to humanity.

Advice to Management

Don't let the children that are being served abroad to become idols to the extent that Biblical standards are compromised, or that local internal organizational health becomes compromised. Downsizing for financial reasons may be economical, but is it fruitful for the body?

6. "Excellent Environment"

Former Employee - Administrative Researcher in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Researcher in Federal Way, WA

I worked at World Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with people who are faithful, kind and hard working.

Cons

No benefits and a lack of flexibility.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you would want to be treated.

7. "Super Experience at World Vision"

I have been working at World Vision full-time

Pros

After working previously in the Army and then over 25 years in corporate America, this is my first experience in a non-profit organization. I expected to find a culture that was built on compassion and love for serving Christ and am certainly not disappointed. From previous perceptions, though, I was pleasantly surprised to find a team here that is highly professional and very competent and motivated - very much like I experienced in the corporate world!

Cons

Picking up and moving from the Midwest to the Seattle area has been a challenge for the family. However, the scenery and views around here are simply stunning!

8. "Employment at World Vision"

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am so excited to be working at World Vision. Not only is it a Christian organization, but it is a place where Christianity is lived out in its very vision "when you do for the least of them, you have done for me". I'm proud to say I work for an organization that stands behind its promise.

Cons

I don't think there is a downside to working for an organization like World Vision. What it does is holds us accountable for our actions, words and deeds. Sometimes this can feel a little restrictive, but it is good for us.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and welcoming to your staff. My welcome to WVUS has been overwhelmingly positive. The process of getting hired is a little arduous, but I would assume that is an attempt to get quality people. The downside is that quality people are often the first ones snapped up by others and WV may miss out.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager\Work Intake Coordinator in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager\Work Intake Coordinator in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at World Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working towards helping the poorest of the poor is very rewarding experience and World Vision does it better than anyone else,

Cons

Being a non-profit organization we frequently have to do more with less so at times that can be very challenging.

10. "Systems Administrator"

Pros

Great mission and great work in the communities around the world.

Cons

Salary is low even in the non-profit industry