World Wide Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

World Wide Technology Reviews

Updated January 18, 2019

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great; Im able to work from home when available" (in 63 reviews)

• "The characteristics of the employees embody their core values" (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • "The culture and core values are well understood by management, but sometimes they're just not the right fit" (in 30 reviews)

• "The company is experiencing growing pains" (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Deserving of the accolades - truly a Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an energy and an intensity at every level of the company that is contagious and I believe a direct reflection of the passion and dedication that the leadership team exhibits each and every day. I feel a tremendous amount of gratitude for the opportunity to be a part of this organization, and excited to do my part to contribute to WWT’s success.

Cons

Hard pressed to think of any...at this rate of growth opportunities abound but you must be prepared to do your best every day.

Advice to Management

The mission to create a profitable growth company that is also a great place to work requires continued focus, discipline and commitment across all levels for all three to be in balance. I believe we are achieving this, but never stop driving the message.

Dec 9, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Profitable, growing, and a great place to work. The three legged stool. Must have all three for long-term success. Simple yet very practical. Thanks for the feedback!

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Professional Services ATC Lead
    Current Employee - Professional Services ATC Lead

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company! Great benefits and opportunities as a growing company! I'm currently in the National Guard and WWT has been more than willing to understand my commitment to WWT and to serve in the military. As a growing company, WWT builds more opportunities to move from one position to the other and facilitate professional growth.

I highly recommend WWT!

Cons

I think the annual raises should be based more on overall contribution and experience as an employee, instead of leaving WWT and coming back to the company to make the salary you request. However, their benefits and culture are great reasons to look beyond the pay!

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and advancing our Management that matches our core values!

Jan 20, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for this constructive feedback.

"You can tell the diference"

Current Employee - Production Control Analyst in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Production Control Analyst in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teams you work for are amazing, the management of full of trust. I have been with the company for 3 years, in the 3 years it was a wild ride. If you put in the effort and the gumption to be the best you can be they give you all the tools and advice. I can not stress enough how much it meant for Jim to personally come to LKV and have a “round table”. He genuinely shows compassion and respect when talking and when he opened up the floor for any and all questions he didn’t steer away from them. This company is the best in my eyes for someone that wants to blossom and excel.

Cons

The only con is the pay, they did handle the pay increase properly like they said. You won’t make the most money here but you have to take in consideration the benefits this company gives you so I don’t even consider this a con. We have one of the top health insurance policy’s out there and it’s 25 bucks a month, and that’s not increased in the 3 years I’ve been here.

Advice to Management

Keep facing reality and being honest to the team. You guys put in effort for us and it shows.

Jan 15, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks! And thank you for acknowledging the health insurance coverage. $25 per month for single coverage and $145 for family. Although costs have risen substantially, these amounts haven't changed... More

"LTC"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Great benefits. Strong leadership and awesome culture.

Cons

Challenging to keep up with growth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. No place is perfect but this is the best place I've worked before.

Jan 8, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you!

"Manager"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing mission/vision where entire leadership is passionate about leading their organization; Deep desire to listen to employees and continue to ensure it's a Great Place to Work; Employee Benefits are amazing

Cons

Could not say one thing I would change - in fact, don't change a thing.

Advice to Management

Keep balanced in the business and culture - stay true to the three-legged stool (Profitable, Growth, Great Place to Work)

Jan 10, 2019 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Yes, we want to be balanced in the business and the culture; a smart and healthy organization.

"World Wide Technology"

Current Employee - Federal Procurement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Federal Procurement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, work-life balance and culture

Cons

salary compensation is magnificently lower compared to other companies

Dec 30, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. Good feedback and this is an area of priority.

"Growing, Changing, Adapting"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rapidly Growing and aware of the changes that need to happen....Working diligently to adapt to new markets, customer needs and employee satisfaction.

Great people work at WWT! Some of the best I have worked with in my career.

Management is approachable and actively looking for feedback and suggestions.

I feel that management, my manager in particular, is listening to and considering what I suggest for improvement, and what I think needs to change

Great place to work!

Cons

If you don't like change and high performance environments, then WWT may not be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Quickly move forward with salary and professional development comparisons to the market and make the appropriate adjustments. Great people are hard to find and keep. Also provide career advancement path frameworks.

Insist on continued alignment of all aspects of the business with the WWT core values. They have gotten you to where you are today!

Dec 30, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Embrace Change is a big deal and an important Core Value. We are making progress in our job architecture and compensation structure project, including the creation of a pilot. You will... More

"Mixed Bag"

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

Aspirational and inspirational CEO. He seems really kind and pretty no-nonsense. The benefits are amazing and colleagues are genuinely good people working together to do what it takes to get the job done and to make the workplace a great place to come to work. One would be hard pressed to find a company with a more compelling and diverse value proposition.

WWT also has the ability to attract some very talented staff! There are some wickedly smart people walking these halls!

Cons

Seniority is a double-edged sword here. It's great to have trusted relationships with long-term staff/leaders who understand the business and how it's evolved, however, WWT's emphasis on tenured leaders has resulted in an "entitlement attitude" among some. Some long term staff have risen while having limited to no experience outside of WWT (not a problem on its surface) but in some cases are then intimidated by those who do - even working to undermine lesser tenured staff to preserve their station.

This has the effect of limiting the creativity that comes from diverse perspectives - especially if an outside perspective does not align with the status quo or desired personal agendas of those with political influence. Perhaps this political gamesmanship results from some sense of duty to protect the company from those who may threaten what is believed to be the "culture" - possibly not realizing that it is the gamesmanship itself that undermines the core values and leadership principles that could otherwise keep the company at the top of the list of GPTW. And while it could also be that rewarding tenure is an attempt to maintain the family-like feel and culture, other companies manage to do this without turning the org into something of a cult - as has been noted by some who have preceded my departure.

And while WWT has the ability to attract very talented staff, it seemingly falters when it comes to maximizing their contributions - largely, in my opinion, due to the challenges listed above. In other cases it’s because their leaders just didn’t know how to utilize them that staff left feeling underutilized.

Advice to Management

Consider Steve Jobs who said: We don't hire people from the outside to tell them what to do, we hire them to tell us what to do.

Highly qualified people come to WWT expecting to add their wealth and diversity of knowledge and insights to the collective to then have consensus forged from their contribution by their leaders. Instead, what we found in some quarters was that leadership teams were seemingly formed because of its like-minded consensus and newer staff were then expected to assimilate into that consensus or face the amorphous "not a cultural fit" scarlet label.

Consider, if you don't, asking leaders about the ideas that didn't make the cut. Consider holding leaders accountable for how they build consensus from their teams to solve organizational challenges. Consider how to create a self-sustaining culture so that "culture-policing" becomes less necessary and leaders can move on to supporting their teams in driving value and GP more efficiently.

All said, I respect the formidable challenges you face and hope this review adds some constructive insights to some very sensitive challenges that few will dare to discuss. That said, I wish you all nothing but success as it was a privilege to work for WWT for the time I did.

Dec 30, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. Our culture is the most important part of WWT. I agree with the Steve Jobs quote when it comes to adding very smart people to the organization but they must also align with the Core... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, and the executive focuses on their employees' needs to create and maintain a positive culture.

Cons

It's hard to get hired b/c they are selective on quality candidates

Advice to Management

Allow full-time remote status for St. Louis employees, or flexible scheduling to allow employees to dictate their own telecommute schedule, instead of a collective team schedule.

Dec 30, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. Flexibility is very important and we rely on individual departments to determine what type of scheduling makes the best sense. Things to consider are the impact to other team members... More

"Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

The focus on each and every employee and their satisfaction is amazing. I have worked at many companies and never seen or experienced anything like it.

Cons

Growing pains should not keep us from taking on the tough challenges and getting all areas of the company to grow into best practices.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are from a focus standpoint but be open to change in areas where we are still doing things the same way we always have.

Jan 15, 2019 – Director of Human Resources