World Wide Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 24, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will not find a better work/life balance or support team out there" (in 59 reviews)

• "The characteristics of the employees embody their core values" (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only thing I would put in this section would be to make sure the core values and the team attitude is continued as we grow" (in 25 reviews)

• "The company is experiencing growing pains" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Move I've Ever Made in my Career"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most companies talk culture. At World Wide, it is a way of life. Not forced on you, but taken on by you very personally. I come to work everyday feeling like I am a guardian of our culture-live it daily and set the example. My coworkers are the same way and the end result is the best work environment you can ever ask for. I'm relatively new and have never seen anything like this in my career of over 15 years. You're surrounded by people who also live and breathe the culture and are extremely talented. There are no barriers-this is a TEAM. My manager and my Manager's manager are incredible people who I can can talk to about anything in our business without worry of politics. LEADERS! They inspire me to be better through leadership-not scare tactics or micromanagement. The benefits are phenomenal and this is an absolute world class company. I am SO PROUD to be part of the World Wide Team! #WeDoIt

Cons

None. Seriously, there are none. This company is absolutely world class.

Advice to Management

Don't ever change what you're doing. And always remember the first "H" in our core values. Humility. We are growing so much, but we are all so blessed to be part of this company and we never forget where we came from! Our culture is unsurpassed-NEVER lose that!

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you! I agree, the "H" for Humility is a very important Core Value (THE PATH). We should have confidence in what we can do but, "never forget where we came from." Thanks again and good luck!... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management genuinely cares about their employees. For the most part, they treat us like adults. They give us resources to do our jobs. They work hard to ensure the brand is protected.

Cons

WWT has grown so quickly that processes and systems have not kept up. PS Management has not been up to the task of efficiently running such a large organization. PMO is a mess.

Advice to Management

Processes and systems not keeping up with growth is understandable and I believe executive management is working hard to make this right. An executive that has a proven track record in running a world class services organization (PS & PMO) should be brought in to successfully implement and execute on the changes that must be made.

Sep 20, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this constructive feedback. Also, thanks for 10 years with WWT.

"Project Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, amazing people (workers).

Cons

If you are in the right department, you can strive. If you are in the wrong one, such as PS/PMO then you pay the price... No W/L balance, low pay, pressure because teams are understaffed, management does not support its workers and does not seem to care. Employees do not trust their managers. Too bad because WWT is really a great company.

Advice to Management

Please look at those pockets of tension in your company! It impacts workers (sad for a "Great Place to Work"), customer satisfaction, and WWT's name. Too many good people leave WWT because of the department, not the company. The PS and PS/PMO leadership should be questioned...

Sep 20, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this feedback. Best of luck in your new role.

"Incredible Company!"

Current Employee - PS ATC Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - PS ATC Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting from the CEO on down, this is by far the best company I have ever worked for! The company has continued to maintain its core values, while continuing to grow rapidly. Not only does the company feel like family to me, the benefits are just one of the many bonuses this company offers.

Cons

I was a delivery engineer not too long ago, and it was hard to feel the culture of the company without being on a WWT campus. Make sure to keep thinking of ideas on how we can better our culture to reflect those who are remote.

Advice to Management

It wasn't too long ago that WWT was close to a 5/5 on the reviews. Now, with 707 reviews and currently at a 4.2, I think it is long overdue that the company look into what's lacking with the LTC and ITC. I have worked out there many times and the culture seems lacking. However, this environment is much different compared to the WWT office's around the globe.

Sep 10, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this very constructive feedback and advice. Improving our engagement with remote employees is always top of mind and we welcome all suggestions supporting it. I also really appreciate... More

"Your Success Is My Success"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A flexible culture that attempts to nurture high performance and a healthy work environment.
    Most jobs are easy to perform but require rigor and discipline, the training here is great.
    We are evolving fast and reward all employees who participate in the CIP program.
    This company cares about your safety and health and the facilities are very nice.
    My advancement and happiness are primarily my responsibility and it is what I make it. At the same time, I have many mentors that have helped me along the way. This is a very good place to work and we are on our way to greatness. I gave five stars not because we're perfect but because I know of no better place in warehouse work.

Cons

Because this company tries so hard to coach people toward their success with attendance, attitudes, and performance, we tend to hold onto the bad apples too long which in turn poison the culture we strive to embrace. Some people just don’t get that it’s not just a great place to work, it’s also, a place to work. Trust is a difficult behavior to build on when HR and warehouse managers have a problem with paying attention to results. In other words, they know a problem exist, but they seem to have a fear of conflict. The five dysfunctions of a team.

Advice to Management

Face reality, act on facts, not perceptions or rumors. Make the right decision not just the popular one. Root out the cause but don't turn it into a witch hunt. We have a great HR & management team. Let’s build our teams with trust and accountability.

Aug 29, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. We are not perfect but we are definitely trying to improve. Often it's difficult to improve if we don't know the specific issues. That's not an excuse. Challenging areas may take some... More

"Fantastic Company!"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, culture and leadership are top notch. Great coworkers and good work life balance.

Cons

Some growing pains with workload and communication but it’s not bad. Everyone is working on making processes go smoother.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sep 11, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the nice comments. Also, thanks for your hard work and patience as we are growing very rapidly. Good luck.

"Great company vision that is not being carried through"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

Inspiring vision and values
    Honest, trustworthy executives
    Great people in the trenches
    Good benefits, anchored by fantastic health insurance
    Openness to innovation
    My personal work/life balance has been great

Cons

Bad managers and poisonous employees are allowed to persist
    Lack of vision below the executive level
    Teams and departments work in silos
    Rapidly declining culture (quantified by glassdoor and other surveys)
    While the company is open to innovation, a good portion of it doesn't actually get the opportunity

Advice to Management

"Coach up, over, or out" is a great idea that is almost never actually implemented. The same can be said for "No bad managers." Instead, poisonous employees and bad managers are allowed to persist, driving out the talent and culture of the great employees. This can be seen quantitatively by the significant ratings drop on glassdoor alone. We've grown much more quickly than we know how to deal with, giving shelter to the bad and allowing the poisonous to fester. The significant turnover and drop in company rating is your people holding you accountable to the messages you are delivering - "No bad managers" and "Coach up, over, or out." Without change at a rate that reflects our growth, the negative trends will continue. I suspect I will be another number in the turnover stats sooner than later.

Sep 20, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. I can't speak specifically to your situation but if I can help at all with your "bad manager" and/or team, I hope you'll contact me or anyone else in HR. Thanks again.

"This is not the Company for Skilled People"

Former Employee - ITC Lab Technician in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - ITC Lab Technician in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy work

- Nice coworkers

- At one point in time, I had greatest boss/supervisor I had ever had (Brandon Wheeler)

- Lunch (and sometimes breakfast) is provided on weekends (if we worked weekends)

- The CIP department is awesome

- Plenty of PTO is given

Cons

- Skill and talent is not recognized; in fact, great skills are under-utilized (so much for the "8 wastes" concept)

- The IT department (for fixing our work-computers) does a poor job; most of my issues I had to resolve myself

- You can be a workaholic with a lot of ambition, motivation, and skill, but that will get you no where in this company. You need to be a friend or family member of someone important or be someone that the lab managers like to be able to get promoted.

- Management cannot come up with a logical reason for why they promote (or not promote) people. They come up with many poor excuses that are easy to disprove, yet they still cannot admit that they are wrong. At least after everything was said and done, I now make more then the members of management that did not recognize my skill. I got a programming job as a senior developer. World Wide would not even consider me for an entry-level position doing scripting for the rack servers. Oh well, it is their loss and problem now, not mine.

Advice to Management

Be smart enough to recognize skill. You had such a talented employee. Now that I left, I easily got a six-figure income job being a director at an insurance company. Then, I left there and got another six-figure income job doing programming. Both of which where positions I was "not skilled enough" to do for World Wide (I destroyed that theory). This company brags about being one of the best places to work for, yet I have learned that that is far from the truth. There are so many companies that are much better than World Wide. My skill and career growth was only being held back by World Wide. Leaving the company I used to think was the best was the second greatest choice I ever made in my life (the first choice being moving from Indiana). The only member of management that was great (and is still to this day the greatest boss I ever had is Brandon Wheeler). The other members of management that I ever had above me were clueless and lousy.

Sep 20, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you and I'm sorry you left the company. Although skills are very important, as equally important (if not more important) is aligning with our culture. Core Values: Trust, Humility, Embrace... More

"Management could be better!!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work and core values.

Cons

Poor management within the Edwardsville site. Nepotism is a major issue in the ITC

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the real workers. Get away from promoting friends and fellow manager friends. Some people deserve to grow.

10. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work hard, play hard...great company to begin a career.

Cons

Management styles aren't consistent throughout the company

Sep 24, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you. Best of luck in your new role.