World Wrestling Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
World Wrestling Entertainment Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon
Vince McMahon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will never get bored at this fast paced, high energy company and you will always have an opportunity for growth and development (in 17 reviews)

• Excellent Team support, Good Benefits (Insurance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department work-life balance can be difficult, but for myself I honestly have no complaints (in 25 reviews)

• no work life balance, terrible culture (in 5 reviews)

"Try to avoide !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

medical, dental
    unlimited sick days
    good vacations days

Cons

the home life balance - thay expect your to work at least 55 hours a week
    a vey backstabbing place to work -
    CFO love sending finanace jobs to India - cost effective - so where are they creating CT Jobs????

Advice to Management

get your head out of your backside - you shine because of you staff!

"WWE is not a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Digital/Mobile Content Producer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Digital/Mobile Content Producer in Stamford, CT

Pros

Good Benefits and have a nice gym.

Cons

They don't honor contracts and are over staffed with lawyers to snake their way out of contracts with employees. Human Resources is a department of Lawyers in disguise to protect employees.

Advice to Management

It's a dictatorship management style. They use fear tactics to motivate employees.

"Worst working environment ever...any positive reviews on this site are written by HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

If you are into fake wresting, which I am not, you can get tickets, but there are no discounts or special treatment for employees.

Cons

1.) The working environment. After working for various uptight financial companies I was excited to work for a "fun" place where they didn't take themselves so seriously. I mean its fake wresting and TV right? But there was a dark cloud over this place at all times. People were miserable, not friendly, not sharing with each other, not helping each other, not working as a team---as they were always worried about who they could trust, about losing their jobs or about being asked to work ridiculous hours even as they were halfway out the door.
    2.) Extreme work hours. You were expected to work 24/7/365. People were treated like slaves, expected to have no life outside of work, work until 11pm daily, and often as late as 5am (and you were expected to be back by 8am that same day). And there was no recognition or comp days added to compensate you for all of this extra time at work. And I want to make this clear this is just the office staff in CT, not people performing (which of course would have late hours).
    3.) Credit never given where credit is due. It doesn't matter much to me if I get credit for my work as long as I am treated fairly and paid well, but for my fellow WWE employees the humiliation of management constantly passing employee ideas as their own and never saying thank you for hard work---was very disheartening. The management was paranoid and insecure constantly trying to puff themselves up to look better to Vince and the other officers.
    4.) The company is run like Vince's personal piggy bank. It's publicly traded, but Vince has no respect or loyalty to shareholders. He also has not respect or loyalty to return on investment (ROI). He is like a kid in a candy store - Oh today I want to make movies, tomorrow I want to have my own TV network---Oh and don't never forget - I want my own football league! And forget what it means for the brand, company, and return to employees or shareholders!!
    5.) The turnover is staggering. I calculated based on just the information that I knew at the time I was with the company that the company had over a 30% turnover per year. 30%!! How can you even run a company when people are constantly flowing through a revolving door. It's impossible to do your work as you are told to follow up with some person or department and then you call them only to hear "they are no longer with us." I must have heard that 20 times in the first 3 months I was there. Most people in my group never last more than 3-6 months before quitting.

Advice to Management

Start running the company as a business not a playground. Respect your employees. Make work/life balance a priority. Fire managers that don't respect and belittle their employees. Sell the company to someone that will focus on your strengths - live entertainment and TV - and get rid of all of your useless network, film, and other businesses that are not part of your core competencies. Vince and Stephanie if you are hell-bent on keeping the company fire all those sycophants you have working for you and higher some talented people that will not always tell you what you want to hear, but will really help to make good decisions in running the company.

"Structure of organization costing morale in a company where Morale is everything"

Current Employee - Vice President Ops in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President Ops in Stamford, CT

I have been working at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is alive, changing each day, taking risks, looking at new opportunities, engaged people. If you have anything to do with the Network, what a proud experience. I wrote a positive review of WWE 2 years ago, this is my update

Cons

There is a longer review earlier titled "any positive feedback here is from HR" (Jan9), an accurate review and so I will only add some detail to it.

Power has been consolidated under the top two. Vince needs to do something here.

This hasn't brought any accuracy and has confused the staff. I am not in accounting or finance yet I answer each day to them.
    Turnover continues to be high and has been for years. +35%
    Promotions or new roles are being exclusively given to new hires versus internal candidates.

Our partners have begun to distance themselves from us. Not like we were when Shane was here. The interference from the duo during negotiations have hurt my own credibility in my career. They shouldn't be involved in operations. LEK is not god nor reality.

You will find yourself saying "this this really my job, I told people I work here." It is a wrestling company yes, but it is entertainment and the brand is wonderfully large...but it is not a professionally run organization.

Whether you are looking for your first job after college or a senior role here -advice= skill sets will suffer & maybe reputation too.

Advice to Management

A new executive structure is desperately needed, changes are needed
    Vince, we came to work here because we love what you have created… and believe in the potential of the brand and what we can do for it and you..please read the employee surveys, take a step back and look at what is going on in here and then change it

"North Korea might be a better option"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were good and comp was in line with or better than competitors by title, free tickets to events if you're into that. Decent Gym that is free, if you can get the time to go there.

Cons

Manage through fear. Too many Managers, not enough Doers. No such thing as work-life balance. They view you as property that is available to them 24/7 even when on "vacation". Culture is a giant CYA, you WILL be thrown under the bus multiple times a day, so be prepared. There is a complete lack of internal development and growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

You're a mature company, not a growth company. Use the cash cow that is right in front of you and leverage the cash for growth through acquisition. You have great talent at the lower levels that is being driven out by poor strategy and even poorer Managers. This place needs a complete overhaul in management. Also, Vince needs to give up the CEO job to an outsider, he's too emotionally attached to decisions.

"Career Graveyard, The WWE has become a very uncomfortable custody battle"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Stamford, CT

I have been working at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good momentum, fair pay, access to touching all points in media/entertainment, highly visible American brand, kinda dankish but free gym, indoor cafeteria staffed by fun imbibing chefs, constant pivot of priority

Cons

Whatever stage of a career you are in this will be where it goes to die. WWE is never pilfered for its executive or managerial talent for reason-they're not talented. You work here to go through motions but as far as advancing your skill sets or professional achievement those things are not going to happen and thus your role is in providing for the WWE without reciprocation. This is why you only find people who have worked there for 0-2yrs or +10yrs, there's no middle because either they've fled or are culled every few years.
    Constant pivot of priority, death by meetings, no security in role, zero trust in the person to your left/right/above you/below you.

Advice to Management

1/restructure
    2/go private, again
    3/merge
    4/need 1 change at tv

I left the company after I realized that Shane wasn't coming back to save us all and that Steph & H weren't being given the reigns as they should have been. The WWE has become a very uncomfortable custody dispute between two senior execs over who will take ceo and that battle cost the company lots of good people.

VKM is the Man!

"RUN away from the WWE"

Former Employee - Digital Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Digital Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting brand, multi vertical entertainment complex, narrow staff, exposure to VKM one of the greatest promoters alive

Cons

I know Vince, Linda, Shane and Steph too, all great people who care deeply about the WWE. this isn't about them, it is about the man they have running their company. Turnover here is unbelievable, most management roles turnover every 2yrs! All of the long term staff have fled in the last 14 months. The guy running the whole thing has destroyed the business from the inside all the way out to wall street...and here's my advice

Advice to Management

give the WWE over to H already and toss the CFO. The problem has always been this at the WWE, you need to be a fan that understand the business. The CFO doesn't get WWE fans and the content, it is not NASCAR or NBA, even wall street now doesn't believe that he understand investors either. This is a great company and one man has riddled it with problems for his own glory, he is a bully and cost the McMahon's many dedicated staff that care about the brand.

"Sr.Manager"

Pros

Their strong commitment to the community.

Cons

Unprofessional, inappropriate, work place. Leadership team is toxic. Over work people with little to no recognition. Not a place to work for long-term career growth.

"WWE employee, your parents failed you"

Current Employee - Strategic Person in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Strategic Person in Stamford, CT

Pros

Brand potential for greatness & relive those glory years of your friends' basements watching matches in a office space that smells like that basement.
    Covered parking. Cocktail conversation material when you drink with 9 year olds.
    Okay pay.
    Lots of turnover means you build a large network on linkedin.

Cons

I worked here for 4 years, the company is in constant peril and infighting-not "friction breeding best ideas". The Network has consumed all company resources and is a complete disaster from the strategy, which I was a part of, to its management now which I am not. The numbers never make sense in this place either.

Advice to Management

Make Steph and Hunter the Co-CEOs and then immediately flush the two executives under VKM.

"Don't Even Think About Working at WWE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at World Wrestling Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good comp. That's it.

Cons

Horrible Management, terrible Work/Life balance. People promoted to SVP who would barely qualify to be Production Assistants anywhere else. Outside people ignored, long term incompetent execs hailed as geniuses. Very rough, crude, and unprofessional culture.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to an organization that understands TV. You really don't.