WorldTeach Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Helen Claire Sievers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Volunteer Colombia"

Pros

Incredible experience in a beautiful culture with incredibly friendly people.

Cons

There are no cons here.

Advice to Management

none

2. "HeadTeacher/Field Director"

Pros

Working abroad in an amazing beautiful place; dedicated volunteers; fun students to teach and work with; good support from

Cons

Remoteness from home; occasionally difficult host country administrative personalities; difficult to move around island without a car

"Cartagena Columbia Teacher"

I worked at WorldTeach full-time

Pros

It was a great year with wonderful students and friendly co-teachers who are Columbian. Enjoyed fellow Americans also in the program. Training to prepare for our year of teaching was very good.

Cons

The site coordinator in Cartagena tried hard to help us but there always seemed to be roadblocks. Support isn't consistent - we understood her limitations, but found many frustrations, since I'm sure dealing with Columbian governments is also frustrating. Seems to be part of the country's culture - disorganization

Advice to Management

Find schools where teaching support is consistent - send teachers one right after the other to the same schools so that accomplishments can be built on and actual growth take place

4. "Great working environment, fun office setting"

Pros

Fun office setting
    Easygoing coworkers
    Multiple interns at a time, so you don't feel alone

Cons

Work can be tedious
    No paid internships if no federal work study

5. "Good Experience"

Pros

Great opportunity to work with students around the world. Some programs have no fees. Flight and living arrangements taken care of.

Cons

Some programs have fees, can feel isolated in a foreign country. Some volunteers go to enjoy living abroad, not working with students. Stipend can seem low, though it covers basic necessities. Almost impossible to save money!

Advice to Management

Please look into hiring volunteers who are passionate about education and helping students. Had experience with coworkers who cared about adventure, not teaching.

6. "field employee"

Pros

Your schedule is flexible and the work constantly changes which can be exhausting but engaging and fun. Working with volunteers is an unforgettable experience. Home office support is good and usually open to your point of view.

Cons

Long hours, working weekends and holidays, not the greatest pay (you're really doing it for the experience and love of the international exchange field.) It can be isolating at times - you really need to know what you're getting into.

7. "Volunteer"

Pros

I Felt very set-up for success after in country training and well supported throughout my year

Cons

I did not have a lot of detail on what my living arrangements would be

8. "Great place to intern"

Pros

This was a fantastic company to work with. Close to Harvard's campus, it was a convenient location, reasonable pay (for an intern) and the people there were all super friendly and helpful. Loved what I was doing, and who I worked with.

Cons

It seemed that some of the other departments weren't run as smoothly, but in my department of reviewing lesson plans and helping teachers, things were great.

9. "Incredible experience but incredibly scattered"

Pros

For one, I have the deepest respect for Colombian culture and the people I met during my 6 months in Cartagena, Colombia. Any "negative" experiences were individual and I inevitably grew from them. World Teach made the transition from the States to Colombia quite smooth, since they do about 95% of the pre-travel work. They provided links to former volunteer blogs, gave clear instructions for action items needed to ensure a timely departure, hosted pre-departure online video meetings, communicated frequently with host families, and played an important role in fostering the program in Colombia. My AFD (assistant field director) was supportive, positive, realistic, and added to my positive experience. The cohort of volunteers will remain in my life, even if a few now reside on different continents. I still talk to my Colombian family and would go out of my way to visit Colombia again. I would even risk dying of heat/humidity in order to visit mi familia Colombiana :) I recommend this program to anyone who is open minded and seeks (nearly) complete cultural immersion– there are still malls and Netflix, so I say nearly. The experience is unlike that of being a tourist and the work in the Colombian public school system was eye opening. Each experience will be different, depending on where you teach. However, I believe that the pros of World Teach remain consistent across the globe.

Cons

As a volunteer employed by World Teach and the Colombian government, expect a minimum of 2 to 3 changes anytime a decision is made. The frequent changes included monthly stipends, location of partner teacher/ministry meetings, the time, the requirements, the length of your service commitment, school placement, to name a handful. Much of the inconsistency stems from cultural norms and in my case, the transition between the Ministry of Education partnering with World Teach, instead of the Cartagena Secretary of Education. The scattered nature of the organizations, paired with the constant talk about "English fluency" in the country, was frustrating.

Advice to Management

Full disclosure and an explanation of the changes would be helpful. The inconsistency of communication led to resentment and bitterness amongst our of volunteers. Collectively, we had incredible experiences, but across the board, World Teach did not necessarily contribute to this success, apart from assisting us in getting the essentials to remain in Colombia for an extended period of time.

10. "Volunteer Teacher Review"

Former Employee - Volunteer Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at WorldTeach (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity - Has subsidized programs so you don't have to pay out of pocket to volunteer

Cons

Not much support from corporate staff. Had to complete a lot of meaningless modules

Advice to Management

Reach out to the volunteers more to ensure their experience is going well