Worldpay Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Worldpay CEO Philip Jansen
Philip Jansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great in the RM role" (in 28 reviews)

• "Really, really great people across all sites, industry leading opportunities to work on and leaders supportive of good ideas" (in 36 reviews)

1. "VP Marketing"

I have been working at Worldpay full-time

Pros

Great team that works well together and help each other

Cons

More focus on long term strategic planning

2. "Operations"

I have been working at Worldpay full-time

Pros

People , hours, location, no phone calls in my dept, work

Cons

Managers are rude in certain departments

"Close-knit teams, mix of good/bad people, unlimited potential IF you keep your head in the game and eyes on the prize!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Worldpay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Accepting a position with Worldpay was the biggest career mistake/regret of my life. It left me in a dark and depressive state for a long time, longer than the time I was employed. When I was employed, I was hopeful and motivated to succeed until vile circumstances subsumed my focus, leading to my resignation. Admittedly, my departure was partly due to the fact I wasn't the best person for the job, I trusted the wrong people, and I'm a horrible actress overall.

Oddly enough, I still recommend Worldpay to prospective employees. I had this conversation today and thought I might as well submit a GD review.

Worldpay is a well-established company and the biggest player in the payments space. Despite its size, it has an unquenchable thirst for growth. Stock price doubled since the time I started here. Small office that has a bit of a "work family" vibe. The company overall has a huge employee network offering opportunities to form meaningful connections with international teams. Worldpay also offers opportunities to travel across the country and the globe.

The office is in a great location and offers views of the bay. Well stocked office kitchen/break room with cold brewed coffee too. They provide breakfast on Fridays and catered lunches sometimes.They reimburse monthly expenses such as phone bills and commuting costs. They also provide no-cost health insurance and generous retirement plans. I don't know whether I'd label Worldpay "family friendly" but I'm unable to provide much insight on the subject. But sometimes they even let people bring their pets to the office!

Great GM (General Manager). Casey Bullock is the patriarch of the office and commands the respect of all. I've always found him to be incredibly reasonable, fair, and professional. I'm assured that if I had brought my concerns to his attention, he would have dealt with them in a professional and kind manner.

Base compensation is pretty good and the bonus structure is FANTASTIC. Worldpay truly demonstrates its respect and gratitude for a BDM or RM's efforts to make a sale. The bonus structure should honestly excite and motivate anyone. Focus on this and chase the money instead of chasing the approval of others. You'll win both after you close deals anyway.

There appeared to be adequate potential to climb the corporate ladder and earn promotions if you stick with WP long enough. I've heard complaints that Worldpay is a "boy's club" and that's true to an extent. The gender ratio is a little unbalanced and there are more males than females (especially in management).

Cons

The ability to work from home sometimes is available for employees who commute to SF but it's frowned upon for those who live in the city. Sometimes certain people can get more done in the privacy of their own home, especially if they can avoid office chitchat.

Social events + happy hours were a fun way to meet coworkers and form friendships. That being said, it can blur the lines between professionalism and impropriety. Everything's great until the fourth hour into happy hour and someone embarrasses themselves. The atmosphere may feel as if you're among personal friends. No, these people are not your friends; they are not your homies. They are your colleagues and, in many cases, they're competing with you or rejoicing in the misfortune of others. Don't let your guard down, don't be naïve, and you'll be fine.

The gossip games in the office are toxic and the abundance of alcohol-fueled activities feeds the fire.

They make you adhere to their process aka the "Worldpay Way" which is inflexible and doesn't suit all situations. Slow moving company whereas competitors are nimble. Their refusal to market the Worldpay brand is nonsensical. They place importance on brand identity but what good is it if no one knows who you are? I suggested renting a billboard along I-80W (towards Bay Bridge) and was told that it was a ridiculous suggestion and they don't do things that way, as if marketing efforts are beneath them. Well, it turns out that their competitor Adyen beat them to the bunch on that idea and I bet their sales team doesn't have to start pitches with, "You've never heard of Worldpay? Let me tell you all about it."

Desks are too close to each other and offer less personal space than a broom closet. Incessant emails and poor email etiquette. Pseudointellectuals, hypocritical SJWs, and self-proclaimed feminists are laughable with their proud ignorance/lack of awareness. But then again, it's San Francisco.

Advice to Management

Offer flexible work arrangements and maybe save some $$ on office space or use some space to add more private rooms. The office looked like a ghost town on some days, especially Fridays. Or, use the unused space to host casual payment workshops for startups - it'll increase Worldpay's local footprint and provide sales teams with good practice in authentic scenarios (versus role-playing with your coworkers).

Have a solid team structure in each vertical. If the team lacks a designated (and dedicated) leader/coach, members can feel lost, especially especially those entering unfamiliar fields. Don't make them choose between bugging the GM and VP or doing it alone. Some BD Directors are amazing resources but their wide expertise is constrained to rigid vertical assignments. If you can't find the "perfect hire," allow the senior BDMs to serve as interim BDDs in the meantime.

Offer chances for your employees to transfer to different offices or job titles. Sometimes people are better suited for certain positions. Don't demoralize them until they quit on their own. It's cruel.

Train management in employee relations. Consider hiring someone with a military background who knows how to lead, discipline, and minimize the BS. There are little safeguards in place to prevent sexual harassment and hostile work environments. It's insane how some people in management (some, not all) behave under the nose of senior management (such as soliciting sex/sleeping with their female subordinates, making suggestive comments, bullying male employees to "put them in their place," and choosing condescension over camaraderie). We're not in the UK so be mindful of the cultural differences and workplace standards expected in the US.

Don't create unnecessary distractions for your employees and don't ignore problems that are painfully obvious in the hopes that it (or the employee) disappears. Don't make employees regretful or hesitant to reach out to HR (there's no confidentiality here; everyone finds out everything). California is a sue-happy state that favors employees over employers and it would be a shame if a messy lawsuit could've been easily avoided (well, it wouldn't be a shame for the employee because they'd likely win).

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mason, OH

I have been working at Worldpay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Coworkers are friendly, campus is nice, benefits are good.

Cons

Parking isn't great. Compensation is not in line with industry, and they're slow to adjust

5. "Wooot"

I have been working at Worldpay part-time

Pros

Good money quick easy work

Cons

Once per month need more work

"Sr. Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Worldpay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive product & service offerings

Cons

Customer Service and frequent rate increases

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Durango, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Durango, CO

I have been working at Worldpay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 9 years (it started out a different company). While I have only been part of Worldpay for a little while now I still really enjoy the culture of the company. They give us the opportunity to volunteer during work hours. My manager is also pretty great.

Cons

Lost the small business feel after the mergers

8. "Accounting"

I worked at Worldpay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The vacation time and the remote flexibility

Cons

No room for growth. You will retire in the same position tou were hired.

9. "A great company to work for !"

Current Employee - Fraud S in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Fraud S in Houston, TX

I have been working at Worldpay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company care about the employee. They are determined where their feature will lead them as they complete the world pay merger. Great co-workers., amazing benefits.

Cons

The training could use some improvement, but overall their are more pros than cons for working for world pay.

Advice to Management

Put more origination into the training program for staff.

10. "Good overall"

I have been working at Worldpay full-time

Pros

Nice people and good benefits package. Great work life balance.

Cons

Communication suffers a bit between teams.

Advice to Management

Improve communication.