Worldwatch Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Worldwatch Institute Reviews

Updated Aug 15, 2017

3.4
Worldwatch Institute CEO 	Ed Groark (no image)
Ed Groark

"A truly rewarding experience!"

Former Intern - Climate and Energy Program in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute for less than a year

Pros

I have had several internships in the past and have found this one to be most impactful. Since it is a small team, I have been able to contribute to meaningful initiatives happening in different parts of the world. I have also been able to work on projects that I am passionate about, and gain knowledge in different areas of sustainability. The monthly Institute-wide meetings are very helpful for understanding... what each program is working on and seeing how you can get involved in different projects. The community has been one of the best parts of this experience; it is amazing how much you can learn in a room full of intelligent and passionate individuals!

Cons

While the monthly meetings are helpful, it would be nice if there was more communication between programs aside from then. Internships are unpaid (although as mentioned above, the experience is invaluable)

Worldwatch Institute2016-08-23
  2. "Working Remotely = Non-diverse experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute for more than a year

Pros

World renown name recognition, got to be a part of publishing WWI'S annual publication.

Cons

Not much responsibility given to an intern working remotely. When I asked to take on additional tasks outside of funding outreach, my supervisor was non-responsive.

Advice to Management

Clearly outline the goals/responsibilities of the internship for remote intern in the future.

Worldwatch Institute2017-08-15

"Wonderful intern experience"

Former Intern - Climate and Energy Program in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute

Pros

1. Worldwatch Institute is a great environment think tank, here I got know different countries' energy issues, including Latin America, Asia and Africa. It is a very good opportunity to learn different countries' problem. 2. Worldwatch has three different program, which helped me have a well rounded knowledge about sustainable. 3. People here are soooo nice! We had lunch together everyday, and had a lot great... conversation. 4. WWI also had brown bag and salon, helped me know more about the staffs and other organizations.

Cons

Maybe the only cons is there is little staff working at office, and a lot work around the world.

Advice to Management

Nope.

Worldwatch Institute2016-08-22

"Great team of researchers"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute for less than a year

Pros

* Since it's a small company you get to have a lot of responsibilities * Get to work on many different projects * Staff is really friendly and always available if you have questions or need advice

Cons

One of the downsides was having more contact with the rest of the team. However, before leaving we did manage to have institute wide meetings! I hope this continues and that everybody is able to contribute more with each other.

Advice to Management

Do more team-building events and facilitate communications for staff who work remotely.

Worldwatch Institute2016-07-20

"An overall positive experience"

Climate and Energy Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute

Pros

- Engaging team who work in a hard-working and positive environment - Their was flexibility in choosing what projects I wanted to work on - Work was very relevant to what my background was, plus I learned a lot about non-profit think tank through practical experience

Cons

- There could be a little more communication between teams responsible for each program

Advice to Management

Go to conferences/talks and lunches together more because they are the are team-building and generate a knowledge sharing environment

Worldwatch Institute2016-05-20

"Highly credible think tank with a great staff"

Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Worldwatch Institute

Pros

Because the institute has a smaller staff, there's a very tight knit community where everyone can brainstorm collectively on marketing or fundraising strategies. As an intern, I was able to bounce ideas off everyone in the office which was very nice to be able to do.

Cons

At Worldwatch Institute, since everyone for the most part has their own research project, you do feel isolated from projects that you're not directly contributing to. Since I was interning for the communications director, I got to see bits and pieces of ongoing projects but for those that are just working on their own projects --they may not have as much of a grasp on all the projects going on.

Advice to Management

I think the institute would really benefit from more group meetings just so that everyone can have an idea of what everyone else is working on. Since the staff is small, it shouldn't be hard and wouldn't hurt for everyone to get together and share what they are working on.

Worldwatch Institute2016-05-20
  7. "Heading in the right direction"

I have been working at Worldwatch Institute for more than a year

Pros

--Highly motivated junior staff --Nimble research teams focus on high impact opportunities --Small size gives great opportunities for stepping into management roles

Cons

--Funding --Limited communication between research & admin departments

Advice to Management

--Promote engagement of senior/remote staff in office --Strengthen pipeline from junior to mid-range professional staff to promote retention

Worldwatch Institute2016-05-18
  8. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Worldwatch Institute

Pros

Gained lots of writing, research, and analytical experience!

Cons

Small organization, don't expect to network much

Worldwatch Institute2016-04-18
  9. "Smart researchers, poor management"

I worked at Worldwatch Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Organization with smart, talented and dedicated people who actually want to do good for the world, but the organization unfortunately just doesn't have enough resources to support the staff.

Cons

Poor management, limited funding and resources, unwillingness of the upper management to evolve and try new ideas and projects and step away from the the old school type of think tank.

Advice to Management

Reconsider institute's overall strategy and maybe even consider hiring a business development or strategy consulting firm to help with that - an expensive endeavor, but maybe a much needed one.

Worldwatch Institute2016-04-13

"research assistant"

I worked at Worldwatch Institute

Pros

Highly organized and efficient working environment

Cons

Not too much communication between different departments

Advice to Management

more team building event

Worldwatch Institute2015-11-18