Wounded Warrior Project Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Wounded Warrior Project Chief Executive Officer Michael Linnington
Michael Linnington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits although the salary is not high enough to retain the best employees" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work/life balance with fun activities to help ease the heavy subject matter" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "This organization is like no other non profit or for profit out there" (in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management did not provide enough structure for the rest of the team to work within" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Outstanding Organization!"

Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge impact on the lives of warriors and their family members. Teammates are friendly and passionate about the mission.

Cons

Not many advancement opportunities.

2. "Great Organization!"

Former Employee - IT Training Instructor
    Former Employee - IT Training Instructor

I worked at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved the work that I did at WWP. The organization does so much for our veterans and their families. I felt like I was able to make an impact on the veteran community where I live.

Cons

The program I worked for was cut and I was laid off when the organization restructured following some bad publicity. I wish that I had been given an opportunity to move into another role within the organization. As a veteran, this was frustrating!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and continue helping our veterans. This was the best job I have ever had because the company culture was amazing and we worked hard to help our soldiers!

3. "Not what you think"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and some staff members were alright.

Cons

Not getting ahead unless your a “yes man/woman” or you look good in yoga pants. Doesn’t matter what you do or how good your evaluations are, if they, management, don’t like you personally, then you know it’s time to look for a new job. Peers look how to step on you to get ahead and are fake when they talk to you.

You would think that Wounded Warrior Project worked with wounded service members, right? Since it’s in the name, but you would be wrong. 99% of the “warriors” that’s funny, were never wounded in combat. They are just a bunch of veterans who are looking for free handouts and how to boost their Veteran Affairs ratings. That’s all it is. Save your money and donate it to childrens cancer research.

Advice to Management

Have some integrity and follow your core values.

4. "New York office of Wounded Warrior Project"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY

I have been working at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture! Everyone wants to be here and help each other and our warriors. Great team!

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing

5. "Con"

Pros

Benefits are pretty much it

Cons

Poor management, lack of decision making slows everything down, not helping as many veterans as they claim

"How can they care about warriors if they don't care about their employees?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule, benefits, pto, work life balance, events

Cons

Don't get me wrong the benefits are awesome and they do outweigh the bad if you're just here to collect a check. I haven't been here that long but after speaking with many different teams I can see a lot of unhappy people. From first impression you will notice a lot of high school clique type behavior and groups. You will notice not a lot of diversity at all, seriously there's about 10 African Americans and 90% white and I'm not even African American and noticed that. There isn't a lot of promoting within. I've seen a lot of new hires who are friends or family of co-workers which means they beat out internal candidates who are already a culture fit. I am humbled to admit that because I was hired based on a manager who referred and suggested me although I know my experience is lacking compared to internals who I know that applied and I beat. A lot of donor dollars are wasted by hiring externals because they seem to fly everyone in from different states here to Jacksonville for two training classes whereas you didn't have to do that if you promoted within more or did online Skype trainings. Everyone seems to be afraid of HE and getting fired which I find dad but people are let go abruptly and escorted out of the building. A lot of firing seems to take place often. I also notice a lot of favoritism creating unfair work environments.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your hard workers and invest more in what you have instead of what you choose based on favors and selfish choices. Stop wasting donor dollars on trainings that can be done via Skype. Treat staff as well as warriors.

"Caution: Stay away; this place will suck the life out of you."

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits, great mission, great teammates at the coordinator/specialist level.

Cons

"Cons" seems the appropriate word here. There isn't a single person at the Director level or higher who isn't a coward or fraud. If you accept a position with WWP, just know that HR and upper management do not and will not ever have your back - you need to watch your own.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves. You stand for nothing honorable. Your employees deserve better than you.

"Specialist"

I have been working at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, open space work environment in some areas.

Cons

Poor leadership, poor communication from top down. Seems like you have tollways watch your back. Work life balance is promoted, but not executed. Through the years, I have witnessed several "self serving and conflict of interest"

"Regional Director"

I worked at Wounded Warrior Project full-time

Pros

great satisfaction helping veterans

Cons

poor leadership who are only focused on themselves

"Talk program need help"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Wounded Warrior Project full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WWP is a great company to work for! Their mission, core values and culture sets them apart from all the others. They truly care about their warriors and most of the employees.

Cons

The talk program is highly valued by the warriors who utilize it with many achieving things they never thought possible before. This is achieved through the talk team employees and their job is difficult at times. They hear the pain and emotions of the warriors who have had terrible experiences and hard times. The team then has to experience the worst the company has to offer from management who only care about themselves and heaven forbid you become one of the lucky ones they decide not to like. I have hear of several who have gone through just that. Employees who have been with the company for months getting told they can't apply for a higher position within the team. Only to see a new hire who has been in the company for weeks get the position. Other employees who apply for transfers are not backed but their manager and end up losing to people with less experience who's managers back and support their choice to try something new. Then you have the employees who are harassed and made to work in a hostile work environment with everything they do wrong in the management and operation teams eyes. Four people I know have been through this harassment and hostile work environment one was performance managed out and the other three have been dealing with the treatment until someone new catches the attention from them. No one should have to be abused as this team has been.

Advice to Management

CEO of WWP needs to intervene and put a stop to the abusive treatment of the employees of the talk team. Have a group meeting with the coordinators and specialists only in a retaliation free forum to express their concerns and experiences. Expunge the records of the employees allow they the chance to find a new seat on the bus if that's what they chose to do. As of drafting this review I have been informed that the majority of the team is unhappy and are actively seeking new employment to escape the poor treatment they experience firsthand or have seen firsthand. I miss being apart of WWP and making a difference in the lives of our nations warriors but I do NOT miss the treatment I witnessed, experienced and continue to hear about. Now this review says I left in 2017 but the information given is current information as I keep in touch with friends that are still there and others that were forced out and set up for failure. CEO please step in and help your employees on the Talk team. The director doesn't care and is part of the problem. I pray you care and will stop the poor treatment of the employees on that team. If you want to know how well they do their job ask the warriors they serve.