Cover image for Wunderkind

Wunderkind

Engaged Employer

Wunderkind

Add a Review

Wunderkind Employee Reviews about "bouncex"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 208 of over 208 reviews
3.7
56% Recommend to a Friend
37% Approve of CEO

Found 10 of over 208 reviews

3.7
Wunderkind Co-Founder & CEO Ryan Urban (no image)
Ryan Urban

70 Comments

Tech

470K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Wunderkind~807088
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with!(in 29 reviews)
  • "It is a great experience and culture(in 21 reviews)
  • "Everyone is friendly, interesting, accepting, fun, smart, etc.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Office is great and the perks are a plus.(in 16 reviews)
  • "There's pretty much every startup perk you can imagine and the team is comprised of New York's best and brightest.(in 12 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wunderkind and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "bouncex"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing company for those looking to grow and be challenged

Jan 6, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

BounceX/Wunderkind has been an incredible place to grow as a professional. Each day presents a different set of challenges and I am regularly given more responsibility/ownership than I would have ever thought possible at this stage in my career (a good thing!). The acquisition of SmarterHQ has also infused new energy into the company and I can't wait to see where things go.

Cons

The people at Wunderkind are amazing, but there can be at times a lack of strong visionary leadership from the top. As we continue to grow, it'll be critical to have more direction from the leadership team, particularly on the tech side. Hoping that we can continue to hire more senior engineering leadership to make sure our product is ready for the next phase.

4 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

What's up with these reviews

Aug 3, 2020 - R&D Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm surprised with all of these recent reviews as they don't seem to represent the company today. I've now been at Wunderkind (previously BounceX) for a handful of years and have been through some ups and downs, but it's still an incredible and unique place with amazing perks, the best people, and huge opportunities. I've grown both personally and professionally in ways you can't pay for. Even years in, I'm learning new things every day and am constantly challenged. There's two general trends I've noticed here: people and innovation. While the quarantine makes it a little harder to celebrate the employees, the entire office is designed around employee happiness. It's clearly built to be a comfortable environment with plenty of drinks, snacks, and events (both non-work and work related). Now in quarantine mode, we have "FriYay" half day Fridays and there's a consistent effort to plan zoom events that don't resolve around work (i.e. lunch pods with a lunch stipend). On the "innovation" side, the vision has always been pretty clear: we're building products/features that drive value for clients. This means there's never a dull day. The entire company seems to be aligned with pushing to improve both internally and externally. I can keep going, but I'll stop there.

Cons

Most of the cons I have are more historical. Layoffs were hard. We lost some amazing people and it bumped up everyone's workload temporarily. Back in 2019 things were a little political with our CTO leaving, but our current CTO has been great over the last year and the general R&D sentiment is very positive. In some areas, like R&D, we operate more like a startup with a flat org and without a big layer of middle management. This can be hard sometimes, but I've noticed an effort to improve this.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Wunderkind team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company, Amazing People!

Oct 25, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

BounceX is one of the most amazing places I’ve ever worked. The people who work here are some of the most driven, passionate, and friendliest co-workers I’ve ever had in my life. Everyone is always ready to lend a hand if you’re in need (regardless of being on a different team). The leadership team is also truly invested in everything that goes on in the company which is extremely nice to see. The leadership team is also so welcoming and will have a conversation with you. I’ve always worked in places where you kind of don’t speak to leadership until you’re spoken to but that’s not the case here! The work at BounceX is extremely incredible. Everyone enjoys what they do and everyones ideas and thoughts are taken into consideration, always. People also push themselves to get the best results. I also really love how important employee happiness is to the company. We have wonderful Employee Resource Groups that make our workspace very inclusive. We also have events that bring everyone together.

Cons

I know I, like many others here, struggle with working a lot. I’ve never been required to stay late (my manager often tells me to leave!) I just think that some people just want to work as hard as they can regardless of time. It’s also very easy to lose track of time when you work with such amazing people.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee

"Like a family" - an extremely dysfunctional one

Sep 2, 2019 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people! If nothing else, I walked away from this company with some lifelong friends. BounceX is fantastic when it comes to hiring smart, down-to-earth, fun and interesting people. Also, if you work on one of the newer products the tech stack is pretty cool - Go, Docker, Kubernetes etc. BounceX is dealing with some really interesting technical challenges at scale, which is compelling from an engineering perspective - but not nearly compelling enough to mitigate the extreme dysfunction.

Cons

I'd describe BounceX's operating model as "third world tin-pot dictatorship." Senior leadership is nonexistent after a string of high profile departures this summer. The company once had a promising leadership team but after the recent turmoil many of the remaining leaders are unqualified and were promoted only because of personal relationships. This is particularly true of the product and engineering teams; I have never worked in a more dysfunctional tech org in my life. BounceX went through two CTOs in a span of six months, and when the second one (a fantastic leader for whom we all had high hopes) departed in May all hell broke loose. Actual engineering leaders were completely sidelined by a couple of people who wanted to bring the company back to the way it was run in 2013 when it was a tiny startup operating with no product team, no process, and no concern for scalability. It was truly wild, like a plot line on Silicon Valley, and it completely obliterated morale on the team. Don't just take my word for it: ~50% of the product and engineering org has quit since June.

45 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

I Love It

Feb 4, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

(To squash any rumors: I am not an executive writing this). I've been at BounceX for a bit over a year, and I'm still incredibly impressed. This place is special, there's no denying it. Another reviewer said it best: getting a job here is competitive, but internal competition isn't an issue. People are genuinely supportive of one another and the general attitude is that everyone here wants everyone to succeed. Arguably the biggest pro of working at BounceX is that we truly become a necessary part of most of our clients’ business. We make a difference, we’re respected, and we get to collaborate as partners and not just as a vendor. People work very hard here. It’s hard to stand out because everyone is so damn driven. If you’re looking for a company where it’s easy to shine, BounceX is not the place for you. Most people are high-performers and it’s not part of the culture to seek out public praise. People works as teams, not individuals.

Cons

There isn’t pressure to stay late, but there is a lot to get done. Work-life balance can be a challenge but, at least for me, the work is exciting enough that I’m happy to dedicate much of my time to BounceX. People are a little less social than normal because we’re in a temporary working space. However, I’d emphasize that this is a temporary problem and really isn’t that bad. Transparency into the product roadmap has been limited at times, but this is definitely improving.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing company, turning a new corner

Jan 14, 2019 - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hands down, I've never worked with such smart, driven, and hard working people. I think every growing software company has it's challenges, and BounceX certainly is up there one of the most innovative products. The company and people are committed to making sure your values and individualism are heard. We have a strong focus on diversity and inclusion here, and the leadership team is listening and making strong and positive changes. Sure, the product could always be better, but go to another tech company and you'll hear the same gripes - work life balance, product not perfect, too many office politics. The grass isn't always greener, folks. Health benefits, parental leave, sabbatical, PTO, VTO, 401k are some of the best in the industry. People support each other and their career development, through ups and downs and with every turn of the company. Really cool opportunities to join culture groups, employee groups, and volunteer during work and after hours. No pressure to "stay late to move ahead mentality."

Cons

I've experience ups and downs here at BounceX - just with other tech and product focused companies, there will be roadblocks and challenges. Temp space has caused disconnect, but we will be moving to 1WTC soon. Just like other tech companies, product launches and onboarding could be smoother. Don't get rid of the small perks that make a big impact - coaching, UK-US buddy system, weekly breakfasts, and volunteer opportunities.

8. 5.0

Rapidly Growing Company of Self-Starters

Dec 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

BounceX is an extremely exciting place to work. The environment is fast-paced and encourages continual curiosity. Your ideas are valued-- the leadership team is invested in your growth, and outside-of-the-box thinking is the norm. An interest in continually improving yourself will get you far here. It's stimulating-- hours are long and the work is challenging but rewarding. Though you are expected to operate with a healthy level of autonomy, you don't ever feel like you are working alone or without gratitude. Perks and food are excellent. The people. Hands down the best group of co-workers I have ever had. Getting a job here is competitive, but internal competition is minimal-- there is an astounding level of teamwork and support. I am friends with many of my co-workers. The CEO-- Ryan is an incredible leader. He's warm and down to earth. He's definitely out there, but he ensures that the office atmosphere stays friendly, exciting and positive. He eats with a different employee every single day. You are overestimated and pushed-- in a good way. You are constantly given projects that stretch your knowledge and current ability. They hire very smart people and then truly develop them into the best version of themselves.

Cons

Some people here do struggle with work/life balance, though I have never seen long hours encouraged by management. The types of people who work here generally hold themselves to high standards and can many times be seen working late into the night.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Company is in the midst of an identity crisis

Oct 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many coworkers are genuinely smart, hardworking, and make coming into work a pleasure. Company recently raised a round of capital from Battery Ventures, which is a good signal towards future growth. New office coming soon?

Cons

The company's growth is choked by an outdated platform, over-reliance on manual work/data entry, and lack of investment in employee growth and empowerment. The engineering department is woefully small for a SAAS company. The company has stagnated severely from a corporate strategy perspective as well. Competitors have reached parity as far as technology goes, and BounceX only gets contracts from its performance guarantee, which limits scalability. The c-suite can't seem to commit to a decision as to where the company is going. The corporate culture is still pained by clear favoritism driven by the senior leadership. There's a severe lack of women in senior leadership as well, and the company suffers for it. There's very little leadership experience at the company in general. Most teams are dominated by "bro culture". Compensation is low relative to the industry averages.

9 people found this review helpful

Wunderkind Response

HRBP

Thanks so much for reaching out with your feedback. While it is always hard to hear constructive criticism, reviews like this help us to get better - and we are always striving to get better. To your note around women in leadership, it's true - we can do better. We recently added a female leader to the Executive C-Suite and have been making great strides in hiring and promoting women into leadership positions within the company. And that commitment is not just gender specific but all under-represented groups. Along with our commitment to hire and promote a diverse range of people into leadership positions, we recently signed onto the UN Equal Pay Pledge. To sign onto the pledge, we had to complete a test around how we compensate all our employees. While we believe we pay fairly and above market rate, we would be more than glad to discuss your personal compensation to make sure you feel confident and paid fairly. Bro Culture is a tough one. Tech overall has a tendency to lean towards that culture and BounceX has felt that trend but we have made great strides in moving the needle away from that over the last year. We recently completed a culture survey to find out what areas of our company culture need help - and to our great surprise, the results around being happy to work at BounceX where in the highest end of the scaled responses. We even went so far as to send out all the survey results to the entire company to be fully transparent about what the results say so the whole team can keep us accountable. Through those culture survey results we discovered the biggest area for improvement is in management, and a manager survey has been sent out to find out exactly where we need to improve. Similar to the Culture Survey, we will be sharing those results and action items with the entire company as soon as they are available. Transparency around where we are and where we want to go, are huge contributors into changing the landscape of any organization. we would love to opportunity to touch base in person, so if you are comfortable reaching out to me directly, please do so at your convenience. we would be interested in hearing if your thoughts have changed given our recent All Hands, showing the Culture Survey results and our commitment to a mission of diversity and inclusion?

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

BounceX is a great place to learn & grow while also having fun

May 3, 2018 - Marketing Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Probably the best part of BounceX is the people. Coworkers are amazing and really dedicated, but also are an absolute blast to hang out with - Huge opportunities for learning, growth and movement within the company - Amazing benefits & perks - Incredible office and company culture

Cons

A little packed in the office at the moment because we're growing so fast, but we'll be growing our real estate soon which will take care of that issue.

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

You are the creator of your own destiny

Dec 27, 2017 - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

In engineering, this company has something for everyone - front-end, back-end, scale and data. Technology budget is seemingly limitless and the team has good relationships with AWS, GCP and other partners. So most products and initiatives use cutting-edge technology and deployed to a massive scale. Many products we built are innovative and first in the market. Operations and product management teams are doing a good job running a tight ship. Other pros: BounceX clients are world's top brands, generous company perks and great culture.

Cons

There are still issues finding balance between product work and client integration work. A lot of time goes into supporting legacy applications and maintaining backwards compatibility. While progress has been made, QA, IT, local dev and infrastructure still needs improvements.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Reviews