Cover image for Wunderkind

Wunderkind

Engaged Employer

Wunderkind

Add a Review

Wunderkind Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Oct 11, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 208 of over 208 reviews
3.7
58% Recommend to a Friend
40% Approve of CEO

Found 26 of over 208 reviews

3.7
Wunderkind Co-Founder & CEO Ryan Urban (no image)
Ryan Urban

70 Comments

Tech

468.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Wunderkind~807088
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with!(in 29 reviews)
  • "It is a great experience and culture(in 20 reviews)
  • "Everyone is friendly, interesting, accepting, fun, smart, etc.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Office is great and the perks are a plus.(in 16 reviews)
  • "There's pretty much every startup perk you can imagine and the team is comprised of New York's best and brightest.(in 12 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Wunderkind and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place and people

Jun 17, 2021 - Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with, beautiful office, and exciting, innovating opportunities to work on

Cons

Teams seem to change relatively frequently with employees going in and out

2. 3.0

An OK Company but not more than that

Oct 11, 2021 - Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work time Work life balance Great people

Cons

1. The worst and most expansive health insurance I ever had (the employer only covers a certain portion of the employee's health insurance, family as well as vision and dental falls purely on the employee to cover). 2. For the size of the company I expected more methodology in place(growing pains as well). 3. Very little equity

8 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Wunderkind team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company culture

May 19, 2021 - Business Development Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, great people, great management

Cons

Sales is difficult and taxing sometimes (but that is the same everywhere)

5. 2.0
    Former Employee

Boring Product Led by Unfocused Management Hampered by Unfocused CEO

Sep 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Beautiful office space. You can't beat the view from the 75th floor of the WTC. Although the music pumping in the common areas does get distractingly loud. And none of that matters when everyone is working from home. - Some great people in every department. But many of them seem to be mostly in the position of cleaning up the problems that crop up everywhere - A killer sales team manages to make an essentially boring product sound much sexier than it actually is and closes lots of deals.

Cons

- The problems start at the top. The CEO is unfocused and undisciplined, and his scattershot approach is reflected in how the business is run and decisions are made. His fast-talking delivery seems designed to make it sound like he has unlimited energy and ideas, but it really just sounds like he can't keep one thought in his head at a time. People will ask one another what he said right after he says it. He invents terms for things happening in the company just to give his own imprint on them: the company isn't "rebranding" -- they're "upbranding"!! It's not the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) -- it's the eXtreme Leadership Team (XLT)!! None of that stuff is helpful. It's just narcissistic. Like when he decides to wear another ridiculous outfit to the office. It's not quirky and charming -- it's calculated and laughable, and he gets laughed at for it. It may sound petty to be critical of these things, but they're a reflection of the personality of the company. - The CEO's scattershot approach bleeds over into how the company runs itself. If you can't understand what the CEO means when he speaks, and if that message changes day to day, then there's nothing consistent to base business decisions on. - The long time "leaders" who he has brought along with him for the ride (especially his technical co-founder) frequently contradict one another and give mixed signals to the teams who are there to implement the "vision" - The product is very unexciting and difficult to support. It's basically cart abandonment emails and personalized new product emails (and now SMS messages). That's pretty much it. - They've made so many customizations over the years to the product to support their legacy clients that it takes a huge implementation team to onboard new clients and keep the product up and running, and it's nearly impossible to make meaningful enhancements to the product - If you don't attend the alcohol-fueled after-work happy hours, and especially if you don't parrot the CEO's talking points, you're likely not going to be part of the in-crowd.

40 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Disorganized & toxic engineering culture

May 31, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Chance to work with relatively modern tech (Go, Kubernetes, Google Cloud, Bigtable, BigQuery, etc). But beware the legacy mess that is tangled into even most of the new stuff. - Recent (past 3 months), there have been big wins on the infrastructure and testing side of things, and the future might be brighter there. - A lot of great people (unfortunately, many of them won't be around for much longer) - Things are so bad that it's sometimes comical, like you are in an episode of Silicon Valley

Cons

- The culture is toxic. Within weeks of joining the company, new employees get caught up in it: failing to communicate with others, becoming jaded, launching rogue projects. It's disturbing to watch good people come in and change so fast. - Repeated turnover at the senior leadership level in Engineering have led to conflicting visions and 1-year projects being discarded. Every 3-6 months there's another impassioned plea to "Give us one more chance to do it right". - Constant reorganization, often leaving people without managers or product tasks to do for weeks/months at a time. - The past business/revenue success has been driven almost exclusively by hustle on the Accounts and Sales side of things. (Meaning those departments have ungodly stress and/or hours.) The legacy product actually generating revenue has not received any significant feature releases in over 2 years, and is impossible to refactor due to the 100s of custom client hooks into its worst features. - Recent events have shown that anyone disagreeing with the CEO are shown the exit door.

40 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company lacks organization, consistency & communication

Jul 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like many other reviews have mentioned, their are some great people that work here. Even after departing their is still a strong group of alumni and current employees that keep in touch. The office, while completely over the top, is nice and has a gorgeous view of the city. You will notice many of the office perks you come to see these days (Snacks, Alcohol, Deli Meat, etc...) which is a plus.

Cons

The CEO is one of the big ones and ultimately drives many of the challenges the company deals with on a day to day basis. From an executive team perspective their lacks any true consistency. The company, within a 2 year period has had 3 CTO's including a time period where the CEO was at one point the CTO. Somewhat even more alarmingly, the company has had a history of bringing in diverse executive leaders only to see them leave within a fairly short time period. Communication from the executive team to the rest of the company is severely lacking at times. When there is communication it is usually lacking full transparency leaving most folks in the dark. Full transparent communication is usually reserved for early members of the company/friends of the CEO that are placed within somewhat random mid management/director positions within the company. From an organizational perspective this makes it extremely challenging to have a proper organizational communication structure, ultimately driving a ton of office politics. Everything at this company is so ridiculously over the top. From the complete rebrand to the CEO literally naming the office Wunderland to the random golden dinosaur in the office to the alcohol infused late night Holiday Parties. I can only imagine the money put into many of these things that could have been used elsewhere.

26 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Growing pains.. but there's potential

Apr 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- some really great people. I've made great friends from the company that I really cherish - lots of snacks, lunches, coffee, drinks, booze - team outings/company outings - company events (poker nights, hackathons, karaoke nights...) - impressive location; heart of NYC - challenging work - everyone is working very hard

Cons

- like any start-up... undefined processes - lots of miscommunication (feedback given indirectly) - long work hours (easily leave work around 8-10pm) - lots of gossip between teams and within teams - poor management (some young managers who have no experience) - lack of developed training and high expectations placed - very performance-driven so, there's a lot of pressure to meet *standards* - slight fear of who you can talk to about your honest feelings regarding the company (don't drink the kool-aid, folks)

10 people found this review helpful

Wunderkind Response

People Operations Manager

Thank you for the feedback. The first pro you mentioned- the people at BounceX - is our #1 priority. We work hard to bring in the best talent (like you) and we want all of our employees to have the best work experience. You are right- if Glassdoor is the only place you feel comfortable leaving feedback, then we are doing something wrong. We are actively interviewing for our first Employee Relations Specialist who will be integral in developing and rolling out manager and feedback training. This person will provide a safe place for employees to bring concerns. Additionally, we are testing out software that will allow employees to provide completely anonymous feedback about the company - both positive and negative. The number one goal for our People team is training and development. As we grow towards 250 employees, we are changing a lot of our best practices to meet the needs of our growing team. We know with growth comes growing pains, and we will address them and continue to improve. We have increased the number of BounceU’s and we are always looking for new training topics. When we roll out a new product or feature, there is always a BounceU or training. These are not mandatory for all departments, but everyone is invited. If there is something that we have not covered, submit your ideas. You are right that we do have a lot of younger managers (we prefer to promote up from within) and we had to a better job in training them. All managers are getting or currently on management training schedules. We're not perfect, and were a little slower to roll this out than we should have. Course corrected. If you feel you cannot talk to your manager about any concerns, find one manager that you are comfortable speaking with and grab coffee.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Happy to work here

Nov 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people - great perks - great culture. I have never worked in an environment where I am so motivated. Everyone wants to do well and wants BX to do well. I have learned a tremendous amount with this company. From day one, you will have real responsibility. Don't let that intimidate you, everyone is willing to help. I've even gone up to the CEO many times and gotten help. The coworkers are one of a kind - they'll have you cracking up at team emails and wanting to stay late to grab a drink.

Cons

It can feel overwhelming in the beginning, but there is great support in place. Don't be shy, everyone is willing to lend a hand.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Not small enough to be a startup, not mature enough to be a real tech company

Apr 4, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Note: "Company is in the midst of an identity crisis" is the most accurate review for the tech org. This will also be more focused on the tech org as there seems to be a great disparity between the experiences of those on the sales/ops/customer side and those on the engineering/product/analytics side. Pros: Amazing people that make the cons a little more bearable. The amount of interesting, intelligent, and genuinely great people working here is the main reason why I still look forward to work every day. Company benefits package is quite extensive (maternity/paternity, bereavement, pawternity, medical, etc.) Free catered lunch on Fridays and dinners on late nights. A lot of company events here and there that are fun and well-organized--again, a result of great people. Diversity varies by department, but in general better than expected. CTO and Directors in tech org are all people of color which I didn't expect. HR does a great job of soliciting feedback at every opportunity available and for the most part I feel that our voices are heard. WeWork for now, shiny new office in World Trade Center later this year. Lastly, you learn a lot from dealing with the cons.

Cons

"Great product but... "-- most in the tech org would not agree. In the company's glory days, there was very limited investment in building quality products and now we are working twice as hard to play catch up and build "bubblegum and scotch tape" into products and processes that meet SaaS industry standards. Progress is being made slowly, and there is a lot of work to be done. Mismanagement is a problem that permeates top to bottom. The leaders of the company don't have a clear vision for the future and hardly a steady pulse on the reality of the present--even they know this. On top of that, huge re-orgs aren't communicated until the last minute, leaving department heads scrambling to come up with a plan. Lots of office politics and rumors about infighting among leadership, which isn't a good look. Favoritism is obvious and you generally learn to accept it. Professional development doesn't really exist, and having ambition may hurt more than it helps. It seems that unless you play office politics and become buddy buddy with the right people, initiatives to do more for the company beyond the purview of your role are often not supported, and instead discouraged by the (often inexperienced) middle managers. With no clear career paths upward or opportunities to grow skillsets for lateral moves, it's so easy to feel trapped. With a headcount of 300+, budgets are tightening. A lot of the culture perks e.g. free office massages, professional coaching services, and annual company retreats to Cancun are a thing of the past. This isn't surprising for a company striving to be profitable, but if the perks are the main draw for you to take the offer, think twice.

27 people found this review helpful
  11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Losing momentum, engineering and product in disarray

Jul 3, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some genuinely great people work here so it's easy to make friends. Friendly, social office environment. Free Friday lunches are a nice perk. Good place for a first engineering job (go in with the expectation that is is not a place to stay long-term).

Cons

There is no product vision, the company has gone through several CTOs in the last two years. No new products or features are coming out because there are entire "engineering" teams devoted to writing custom code for the legacy product. There is absolutely no room to move up and promotions are given to placate people. Low salaries and general devaluation of engineering by upper management.

23 people found this review helpful