Wunderman Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Read

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for a NYC ad shop (in 28 reviews)

• You get to work with great people on decent accounts (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hit or miss (in 19 reviews)

• Senior management didn't fully understand some of the products they were responsible for (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good Learning Experience, Fun Team Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wunderman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support for large accounts Microsoft and T-Mobile. Teams built around big accounts. Recruiting did a good job hiring solid team members who were fun to work with and collaborate on projects.

Cons

No room for growth. No training or support after you are hired. If the client at any point in time throws you under the bus or decides they do not like you, you are removed from the project with no support from WPP Executive Leadership. Client says jump, WPP says how high? HR Department & Leadership was/is such a joke here. You scratch your head wondering how did this person get a leadership role in HR? No annual raises or pay increases, not even a cost of living increase.

Advice to Management

Value and support your employee's professional growth. Provide training options and opportunities to advance their careers internally. Otherwise, you run the risk of losing more great employees.

"Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Wunderman (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice colleagues. Interesting clients. Good creative team. Great project managers. Decent pay.

Cons

Hard to work across departments at times. Bad management. No outside-of-the-box thinking.

Advice to Management

I had a manager who created an extremely hostile work environment. When I went to HR to discuss methods of resolving the situation, I was retaliated against by management and the HR representative I worked with. I was punished by HR. I was ignored by my manager unless it was to yell at me in front of the client and colleagues. She would remove me from email threads and meeting events. The management and HR eventually stonewalled me from my tem. I now regret not taking my issues up with a workplace lawyer so as to prevent issues from occurring in the future.

"A reputation deserved"

Current Contractor - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Wunderman as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Some great workers. Big brands. Nice location. Project management is a surprising strength.

Cons

Where do I begin? No one goes to ad school dreaming of the days of working at Chez Lester. And for good reason. At the mothership, Wunderman NY, you'll get to work with some great people, but leadership is a disaster. Extremely clique-y and trendy. They pick favorites and don't encourage growth. There's one GCD that you want to work for, but the others have zero people skills and can't manage their staff. You'll get to work on big brands, but it's gonna be a daily kick to the balls because the clients aren't managed AT ALL. Creatives aren't protected, in fact they're discarded like used paper towels.

Downstairs in Health is a different disaster, but still feels true to a Wunderman disaster. Separately, the ingredients are great. But mix it all together and you've got poop stew. Department heads hate each other and don't work together. CEO is detached from everyday life but loves a good video presentation. And creative leadership is just as bad as you'd expect from a Wunderman pharma agency. 100% detached, insecure, lacks the ability to give clear feedback or be accountable to his team and he doesn't finish his sentences so you have to read his f'ing mind. Watch out - he's also talking about you behind your back.

We all learn from our parents. Wunderman is like those screw up parents that teach us what NOT to do.

Advice to Management

ask your employees what they think, protect your creatives

"Not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wunderman (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance for some must be good because most people seem to leave at 5pm most days.
    They have the nicest, most-efficient IT department ever.

Cons

There is a definite absence of structure or process, and no one seems to care. As a result, relationships between teams are confusing and more difficult than they need to be. How the agency sees itself vs. how it clients sees it is not something well-conveyed to anyone on the account or creative side. The absence of strong leadership and ownership for some accounts/departments is frightening...and again, no one seems to notice or care that people are not prepared for the roles they were given.

Advice to Management

Find strong leaders who can also manage teams.

"Sweat Shop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Wunderman (More than a year)

Pros

If contracting the pay is good.

Cons

Under appreciated, Over worked, sour environment

7. "It's a great place, if you're in a revenue generating position."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wunderman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The amount of Time Off is fantastic, inflow of new technologies, innovative 'green' office and some great perks like free food.

Cons

Lack of wage increase for over 3 years.
    If you are not in a revenue generating position you can forget about any extra training.
    Flip flopping management with promise action but then not follow through.
    Huge turn over rate.

8. "Worked in account services for major client"

Current Employee - Accounts in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very smart hard working folks

Cons

No on boarding, sink or swim mentality -- high churn and difficult to get to know others.. Very project specific with little interaction with other divisions.

Advice to Management

Provide more detail on job description and get new hires some training

"Good for your resume but you may need therapy after"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wunderman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great legacy agency reputation with top tier clients.

Cons

Extreme soul-sucking political environment with a lot of self-congratulating senior management. Forget trying to have any career path here, the majority of people are contractors and have one foot out the door. Senior management is completely powerless to make any real decisions. Current GM is largely ineffective and a lot of bad behavior happens as a result. A culture of bullying and snark is encouraged and HR's role is pretty much non-existent. The CEO flies in for the occasional client meeting, attends 15 min of a town-hall and exits quickly before any unwanted questions or employee interactions happen.

Advice to Management

Create an agency culture that inspires creativity and that clients want to work with. Stop managing like you are above ethics and start caring about your people and the craft of advertising again. Start hiring employees and communicate with them regularly.

"Create action"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wunderman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with clients that push you to your limits and force you to think and prioritize. The team of people in the office are highly creative and gifted thinkers.

Cons

It's a mess, no one is willing to step up and take responsibility. No one manages client relationships, expectations are out of whack, and business development doesn't exist. The action being created is wheels spinning faster and faster. Smart people are leaving this place at an unsustainable pace and a lot of knowledge is lost. Management seems perfectly happy with the shrinking staff given the lack of revenues. The office is exclusively dependent on one giant retainer (hint: software company) and it's shrinking fast because leadership has let the relationship go stale. No new clients are coming in because Wunderman Seattle has a deserved reputation for being expensive and slow.

Advice to Management

Feel shame. The first step is admitting there's a problem, be open, honest and transparent about what's going on. The monthly Town Halls have become a joke since they focus on meaningless happy news and new snacks, while glossing over very obvious problems. Stop rewarding yourself with giant promotions when you tell the rest of us no raises and promotions are coming. To be honest the best thing you could do is resign and spend more time with your families because you've let the Wunderman Seattle family down.

"Sweatshop with no management to back you up"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wunderman as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Learning experience
    Great team dynamic

Cons

You work more hours than one can handle for little pay.
    Management does not care about their team and does not mind throwing you under a bus.
    They pride themselves on creative work but with the timelines give its not even feasible.
    Timelines given to creative teams and development teams are not even realistic.
    The amount of project sets teams up for failure

Advice to Management

Start listening to those under you as we know how the process flows internally and externally.
    Go away with the egos.
    Be a little considerate to non management as we are the ones putting in the majority of hours to make things go smoothly.