Wyle Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Wyle President and CEO Roger Wiederkehr
Roger Wiederkehr
1 Rating

Pros
  • My group was good about work-life balance and flexible schedules (in 8 reviews)

• Great work life balance, flexible hours, nice professional people, laid back (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As a government contractor, you can be at the mercy of how contracts get renewed or assigned (in 5 reviews)

• disconnect between senior level management and employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place for an intern"

Current Intern - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Intern - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Wyle as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Comfortable working atmosphere, perfect workload (not bored but not stressed), friendly coworkers, helpful environment (assigned a mentor to whom i can ask questions whenever needed), fun work.

Cons

Pay is disappointing and not competitive. But if you're interning here for the experience and not the pay, it's not too disheartening.

Advice to Management

No advice, they really look out for their interns! Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Not the place to work if you expect to be rewarded for your work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Wyle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Wyle there are friendly coworkers and interesting projects. There are a few competent management personnel, but they are hard to come by and worth their weight in gold.

Cons

There is an atmosphere of back biting political competition. It's not so bad as stack ranking, but close. One is not expected to succeed in their project so much as make friends with the right people.

In fact, sometimes a person can be assigned to a project and denied the necessary resources, because he or she is expected to fail so that more resources can be requested later. When I was placed in charge of such a situation, the project was a resounding success, so much so, in fact, that when the rest of the group's projects were canceled, mine remained. I was rewarded by having the project taken away from me and being transferred to an off campus location where there was no opportunity for advancement, while the people running all four of the other projects where given my project. Needless to say I quit, taking my expertise with me. It even came to the point where they reached out to me to hire me back at a significant pay raise, but only if they didn't have to admit their mistake and could hire me as a contractor through another company. I couldn't pass up the pay raise, but it wasn't long before I got a better offer elsewhere so I was gone quickly.

Since then, the group at Wyle has been hemorrhaging employees and is in danger of cancellation.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees for good work rather than for friendship. Don't punish good workers for good work. Otherwise, you might end up standing on the Titanic with good friends and no workers to save you.

3. "Plenty of work, good people"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at Wyle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of current software projects to work on with a steady flow of incoming business. I like the people I work with.

Cons

Sometimes communication in a large company can be tough. Some people can get away with doing subpar work while relying on others to carry the load.

Advice to Management

Check in with employees a little more often to get reactions on how things are going within the team. Not just relying on people to come to them.

5. "good experience"

Current Intern - Software Developer in Orlando, FL
    Current Intern - Software Developer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wyle as an intern

Pros

Fun people to work with and helpful software lead

Cons

Not challenging, government contract ends and youre s.o.l

Advice to Management

Make it a fun challenging and ecouraging place for engineering to feel like its not even work. Pay better and you will have job retention.