WyzAnt Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Andrew Geant

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy to use and find students, acquire rating, better rate as experience is gained (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent, responsive, friendly customer service (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They take 40% off the bat AND charge a 7% fee to clients (in 29 reviews)

• The first 50 hours of tutoring are a little rough, but commission gets better with more hours (in 8 reviews)

1. "A blessing from God"

Current Employee - Calculus Tutor
    Current Employee - Calculus Tutor

I have been working at WyzAnt (Less than a year)

Pros

I read a lot of people complaining about Wyzant’s commission percentages. I’m making 70% of what I charge and I’m just a few hours away from making 80%. I’m so grateful to have found Wyzant. Think like this, the 20% you don’t make goes towards safety and advertising. Sounds fair enough to me.

Cons

Sorry, couldn’t think of any.

2. "Good Way to Find Students to Tutor"

Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good website UX
    Mobile app available
    Feels like you're running your own business

Cons

Even in metro areas there's no guarantee of students being in your travel radius

"Like anything else, you get back what you put into it"

Current Employee - Part-time Tutor in Mercer Island, WA
    Current Employee - Part-time Tutor in Mercer Island, WA

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great way to get your name and qualifications out there
    - Excellent, responsive, friendly customer service
    - Awesome online tutoring platform
    - Direct deposit of earnings every few days

Cons

- Yes, they take a cut of your earnings, but:

1. That amount decreases as you accrue hours (plus you can always increase the rate you charge)
    2. They take care of billing the student/client (who wants the hassle and awkwardness of asking for money?) Also, free marketing and you have access to their handy scheduling and messaging apps.

4. "Customer Support"

Pros

Great company! Owners are very cool people that really do care about their employees. Co-workers and managers are really cool people too. There is a lot to it, but there is great training to ease in to it. The office atmosphere is fun to work in and there are a ton of great perks too (happy hours, snacks, dogs in the office, etc).

Cons

Its customer service via phone/email. So the work can be repetitive and can be rough depending on the user that is contacting. Also, unless someone leaves in management, there really isn't too much room to grow.

5. "Connections Galore!"

Current Employee - Private Tutor
    Current Employee - Private Tutor

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time

Pros

A LOT of people look for tutors through Wyzant. As a tutor, if you stay consistent in reaching out to clients you are bound to find some great connections.

Cons

Wyzant does take a percentage of pay, but I suppose that is the price for tapping into their very large clientele community.

Advice to Management

Keep up the flexibility tutors have in creating their profile and reaching out to clients, this is an awesome feature. I would add sections including "Common Core" to tutors tool set as this is becoming more popular.

"Networking for pretty penny"

Pros

Website has improved a lot. They continue to pour resources into online tutoring capabilities. Lots of potential clients. Set your own hours and rates.

Cons

1. WyzAnt commission structure is its largest issue. Although I understand the logic, it can looks like tutors and management can cheat each other.
    2. Lag time between payments from clients.

"Good tutoring company for part time work"

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time

Pros

You get to set your own hours. Very easy for students to reach you.

Cons

Since they take a cut out of your pay, there is no real incentive to continue using their website after establishing your clientele.

Advice to Management

Initial commissions are way too high.

"Poor communication & high commission"

Current Employee - Recent College Grad Tutor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recent College Grad Tutor in Houston, TX

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be proactive and find students matching your skill set and schedule preferences rather than them coming to you only.
    You can use a "location radius" tool to set where you'd like to tutor.
    Payments are given as quickly as 6 days after logging the session.
    The app makes it easy to log sessions immediately.
    This site can be helpful in building a network of students who request tutorials based on referrals from students using Wyzant.
    Tutoring provides a very flexible work schedule.

Cons

Firstly, the 40% commission Wyzant receives is huge considering I have no interaction with a live employee or any services given by them other than a database of students.
    As with any independent contract work, 1099 status can be difficult as it creates barriers when applying for things like car or home loans.
    There are often glitches in the Wyzant system regarding response rate and time statistics which are important for tutors to have their profiles set higher in the search results.
    The app doesn't make it easy to see who has payment information on file when you are messaging potential clients.
    You also are mainly responsible, as a tutor, to discuss payment options/rates many times, a supposed "perk" that the system should provide for you, but doesn't communicate well to potential students.
    There have been many cases of fraudulent client messages asking for personal information, although wyzant catches most of them.
    Students aren't required to have minimum session lengths, to buy packaged hours, or to be charged cancellation fees through system policy. This is something you have to set on your own making it harder to find stable clientele.
    Wyzant doesn't reward tutors for having multiple sessions per week with a client or consistently longer than average tutorials either.

Advice to Management

Give tutors a sense of incentive to continue partnership with your company.
    Institute live tutor/student relationship "coaches" that invite us to feel like we are valued.
    Lower the commission you are initially taking and reward tutors for their loyalty with higher commissions quicker. Also give us more "badges" for things other than just hours tutored.
    Offer monetary incentives for answering questions on the Wyzant questions blogs.
    Explain the payment policy to students more effectively so we, as tutors, can avoid awkward conversations about money while at the tutorial.

"Language Tutor"

Current Employee - Private Tutor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Private Tutor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at WyzAnt part-time

Pros

flexible, If you like to teaching, good! Your own materials and own skills, and provide homework and tests! A lot of time if you like it!
    Help and support studnts also good, The best thing, student's feedback make me so happy!

Cons

Not full time job
    Individual contractor make s$600 /annual has to claim 1099 by your self. TAXABLE will be 20 % or more. When you start 70:30 % =you :Wyzant

Advice to Management

Hours Worked Wyzant %
     The range should change hours every 50 hours for Wyzant take commission too much.
    51 – 200 30, <-big gap !
     NO benefit, if make company benefit, people work more. This is self starter, never know CEO or managers.

"Company with Goal of Money, Money, Money. Tutors: DO NOT work here!"

Former Employee - Secondary School Mathematics Teacher
    Former Employee - Secondary School Mathematics Teacher

I worked at WyzAnt part-time

Pros

Seems great at first. Really great students to work with.

Cons

Poor customer service and a horrible experience with having my account suddenly shut down after I worked hard to achieve a 5.0-star rating and 200+ hours working for them. After my account suddenly was closed, it left my current students confused and a bit hesitant with how to proceed with payment. Followed all of their policies despite them taking a huge cut of my pay. I still did not receive payment from them and no communication on this issue yet. I am submitting a complaint with BBB immediately.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more thorough and prompt information. Allow employees to actually speak with a manager or supervisor instead of emailing back and forth for weeks with the same message copied and pasted from the "WyzAnt Review Team."