X-IO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Miller

1. "X-IO Morphing into HCI from Pure Block Storage play"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at X-IO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology for the virtualized storage space

Cons

Block Storage solutions are a declining market - although still a large market - As Jack Welsh said - If you are not number one or number two in a stable market - get out.

Advice to Management

Keep the technology innovation going

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at X-IO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to work from home or any where for that matter.
    Good benefits
    Fun place to work until 2015/2016

Cons

Upper management no longer listened to their employees, laid off 80% in April 2016 with no severance.

Advice to Management

Communicate more to your employees

X-IO Response

Jun 13, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. As we moved to a channel only model to gain greater efficiency there were facts that lead us to make this decision: Sales – Since 2015, 105 accounts have carried ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peyton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peyton, CO

I worked at X-IO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and salary. Friendly environment and great co-workers.

Cons

The company changes product directions frequently. It is hard to get a good territory plan in place when the products are not rolled out well.

Advice to Management

Pick a product and run with it. Offer features and ease of use.

"Great technology. Active CEO."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting technology and talent to innovate more. Small, close knit teams with lots of laughter around the office. Flexible work hours. Frequent, from the heart, communication from CEO.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative about working here. It is up to every employee to make their work place the best it can be and there are lots of channels available to do so at X-IO.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on transparent communication, dedication to marketing and sales effort. Create more activities to generate cross team communication. Both at business and social level.

X-IO Response

Oct 20, 2015 – VP, HR

Great advice - appreciate it. I can assure you we are committed to doing just that! If you have some suggestions regarding activities to generate cross team communication (professional and social ... More

6. "Great Place to Be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO full-time

Pros

Company culture has shifted over the last year - trending strongly towards a excellent run company! Leaders are open, honest and straight forward sharing business and financial performance and setting context for everybody to do their jobs. Plus - the leaders are all on the same page and seem to like each other! CEO does a nice job listening and knows when to collaborate and when to make decisions. Good engineering and technology already and building a solid sales and marketing juggernaut.

Cons

It would be great to have more lunch choices in the building - i don't want to leave my desk!

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent communication and continue to provide ways for us to all get to know each other better - both professionally and socially. Stay focused on saying "thank you" and recognizing jobs well done.

7. "Reinventing itself and attracting talent"

Current Employee - Sales in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

New leadership team which at last seems focused and delivering customer-relevant products. New CEO is listening and open to feedback

Cons

Has changed leadership so many times (obviously due to interference from the owners) that stabilization needs to happen

Advice to Management

Resist outside interference and keep listening to concerns

"A New Era for X-IO as It Reengineers Direction & Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During the recruitment process, I was told up front, that X-IO was going through changes and an entirely new direction and focus that centered on a high performance product and with a company culture to match. The recruiters, HR and everyone else for that matter were completely transparent about where X-IO and what X-IO had challenges with in the past, and what they still wanted to overcome, they were up front about the industry perceptions, things that held them back and knew they needed to make serious changes from the ground up. I was told point blank that they wanted people who were comfortable with a fast-paced, risk-taking, ask for forgiveness not permission, and experimental environment---where one would not be hampered by silos, roadblocks or old ways of doing and thinking. I thought, wow, sign me up! This is the kind of environment I thrive in and after meeting the team, speaking with everyone and asking them how they felt from before to now, there was no hesitation in their answers. They felt like great things were happening, there was a renewed focus, and it just felt "better" than before. Much of that stems from the leadership who is now in place. What a rockstar lineup and one of the main reasons I chose to work for X-IO. If you are looking for a place where you have great people, the best products in the industry, feel you can make valuable contributions and changes, that people listen, want your opinion and help, then look no further, X-IO could be the place for you.

Cons

I would say the cons at this time are the fact we don't have enough hours in the day to do everything we'd like to do. We are scaling so fast that it takes long days and nights at times, (not all the time) to get things done. In many ways it's a Pro, because it shows the tremendous amount of momentum happening. You just wish you could do everything on your list tomorrow to make X-IO better, faster.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--right people, product, and placement and continued motivation and encouragement to take X-IO to the next level.

"Storage veteran says great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at X-IO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

X-IO Technologies is firing on all cylinders for growth, efficiency, product quality, excellent support, customer satisfaction, and employee job satisfaction. The changes that we have been through recently have been all positive to position us to be able to deliver to the market the best storage product that money can buy. Technically we have an excellent support department, excellent engineering and operations, marketing is making us known in the industry more than ever. We have strong leadership at the top with Bill Miller, CEO, who also knows technology, makes great decisions and treats everyone with fairness and respect. Sales Management with veteran Mark Zeller is fantastic at inspiring and motivating the sales department to do their best and making the deals happen. Engineering and Support are better than ever with strong products which add tons of value to customer operations. Marketing and Channel operations are aggressively positioning X-IO for growth and success in the VAR channel. After many years of working here and lasting through the many years of changes, now is the best time to be at X-IO.

Job satisfaction for me is defined by success. X-IO gives us everything we need to be successful as individuals and as a technology company.

We have great benefits from HR even though we are small relative to the giant storage companies.

We have great leadership in all the critical roles at X-IO including CEO, COO, CTO, VP's of Sales, Marketing, HR, Engineering, Support, etc.

Our support department is fantastic, taking excellent care of our customers and partners. Our partners are loyal and profitable and realize the value of being a partner with X-IO to sell our solutions.

Yes, we have left a trail of disgruntled employees who left under bad circumstances that were not always their fault. Some mistakes were made along the way, but they have all been corrected to my knowledge. We are all working toward the same goal now, following our trusted leaders to take us to the next level.

Cons

There are a lot of small storage competitors fighting against us to undermine our success who say all kinds of inaccurate things about us. The big storage companies have been predicting our demise for many years but we continue to beat them in deals, year after year due to our superior technology.

Because we are a small storage vendor, the healthcare plans are very expensive for the employees but that is also due to the new US healthcare changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to implement your vision and changes to make us the company that we know we can be with the best products, the best support, the best pricing, and the best employees, and customers that want the best technically superior storage products. Continue to find and fire the dead weight employees who are not contributing to our success. Continue to find people that don't do their best everyday and encourage them to leave. Continue to focus on results and accountability in every role. Continue the winning attitude that helps us all do better. Help us counter any negative perceptions by making good decisions and growing our company. Be quick to reverse any bad decisions of the past.

10. "Going in the right direction"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glenwood Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glenwood Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has top-notch engineers. I came back to work at this company because of the people. XIO has had its fair share of issues in the past, but I feel like the company has turned the corner and is going in the right direction. The new executive CEO has made great strides in improving communication and conveying his vision.

Cons

The company has had a lot of turnover in the last year. There have been some very hard times in the past few years.

11. "Forget the past, X-IO reborn in early 2015."

Current Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at X-IO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the past baggage, and there WAS plenty of it, has been expunged. A highly-credible new management team, as of early 2015, is quickly and aggressively refitting the ship and building an exciting business. The culture is positive, open, fun and energetic. Ownership is relentlessly committed and supportive. Employee swagger is becoming noticable with increasingly-frequent good news and the confidence of a growing product line that delivers industry-leading price, performance and reliability. Long-time customers are delighted with personalized support and bullet-proof products that over-deliver. Bottom Line: forget about what you may have heard in the past, this is a new X-IO with the thrill of a disruptive and well-supported Silicon Valley startup.

Cons

X-IO is in "restart mode" which brings growing pains. Brand recognition is currently at a disadvantage against the big competitors' massive marketing machines.

Advice to Management

Keep building momentum and increase the noise level so prospective customers can hear your story.