XANT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.6
XANT CEO Chris Harrington
Chris Harrington
Pros
  • "Some great people, ideas and love for the customer(in 40 reviews)

• "The promises made by InsideSales across the years have been many(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "This comes with some growing pains but this isn't always a con - it can be a good learning experience for all employees(in 30 reviews)

• "So they could totally blow ISDC out of the water, and probably will if it is so lucrative of an area(in 27 reviews)

1. "Great Potential"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Chris and new leadership Great direction focusing on positive change Awesome people

Cons

Location is a little too far south but I now they're moving to Lehi Has been some turnover and figuring out product issues

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work , I hope to see great things , still love my friends there, and still a shareholder so want the company to succeed

XANT2020-01-16

"An old fixer-upper with lots of potential upside"

Current Employee - Enterprise Customer Success Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at XANT full-time for more than a year

Pros

-exciting new leadership -ambitious goals with a realistic path to achieve them -company focus on real financial metrics with transparency

Cons

Lots of scar tissue from previous times More risky than a typical 250+ size company

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on real performance and transparency! It’s working!

XANT2019-12-26

"Big Dreams - No Means"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at XANT full-time

Pros

Good people. Flexible work hours. Freedom to experiment with lots of different technologies.

Cons

It seems like the company doesn't really know what direction they're going in with the product. People keep saying data is their future, but the data team moves so slowly that it's hard to imagine that they will be able to productize the data asset before the rest of the company goes under. There are always tons of people leaving the company. They don't really have a standard performance review system that they've stuck with and you don't get raises unless you ask for one.

Advice to Management

Now that you're the size of a startup, you need to become scrappy like a startup. Also build culture and processes that you will actually stick to.

XANT2020-01-04

"A phenomenal place to stretch and grow in your career."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at XANT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people here are driven, honest, and genuine. You want a culture of fun yet hard working and focused? This is the place.

Cons

Honestly nothing comes to mind at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent like you have been. The company is stronger than ever because of it.

XANT2019-11-10

"Some great people making great things happen"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people, ideas and love for the customer

Cons

The ride for the company overall has been bumpy the past year or two with market pressures and changes of direction.

XANT2019-11-01

"Poor Executive Decisions Ad Nauseam"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone I worked with directly was awesome. We had great engineers, a great product manager, great engineering managers, and great designers. They were talented and easy to work with. The tech stack was modern, and there were many fun projects to work on. The culture in the Salt Lake office was also perfect for me. Good work-life balance, heavily weighted on the "life" side. The pay was pretty decent, typical tech office perks of free snacks/drinks, paid team lunches pretty often as well.

Cons

The executives outside of technology were constantly making poor decisions which in turn impacted the technology division, and didn't allow us to follow our roadmap. The company decided to pursue enterprise customers which led to the executive product team whipping up mocks of miracle features that we didn't have the data for, showing it to one or two customers before handing it off to engineering to be built. During implementation, flaws in the mocks would be pointed out, so the mocks would be re-done and engineering would basically have to start over. This was a common cycle that would iterate over and over. The Sales team would pursue large deals with enterprise customers and would bend over for any and all requests. These large deals would come attached with contractual feature requests without consulting engineering to determine how difficult or realistic they were. These contractual feature requests took precedence over anything on the roadmap. Once we had some enterprise customers, a select few of them would dictate our roadmap with constant feature requests and customizations. The execs bent over for all requests because they needed an enterprise customer to speak highly of them to break into the market. This ultimately led to a decision to kill off a product overnight because it became too specific to the way the enterprise customer dictating the roadmap uses it. The team working on the project was dispersed across the company to various other projects. Then the company decided to chase some money by selling 3 year licenses of the killed off product with no dev team, to a new enterprise customer that had been promised features based on a 2 year roadmap. The reason my review is 3 stars and not 1 or 2 is because for 2 of my 2.5 years things were 5/5, today things might be a 1 or 2. Oh, also, during the meeting directly following an announcement that 1/3rd of the company had been laid off, the new CEO said he will personally make sure anyone that leaves voluntarily will regret that decision because the company will become that awesome. This was also said after he stated his disappointment when he sees people leaving at 4:00 PM and not working late into the night for free. So interpret that as you will...I have no regrets so far.

XANT2019-10-11

"Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at XANT full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Interesting problems to solve - Great coworkers - Good benefits and flexible work environment - Provided the tools, time, and support you need for testing out new ideas - Direct team managers were great and on your side

Cons

- Lots and lots of overpromising - Company "vision" and goals changed 3 times in the 5 months I was there - Couldn't ever trust what executives or higher management said. After the first layoff I was around for (July 2019), they promised they had reached a sustainable number and were "in budget". In September 2019, they laid off a huge portion of their workforce. Gives very little confidence that the leaders of the company even know what's going on with their own business. - Great employees were constantly leaving for better opportunities and the company was not backfilling those positions - Suddenly, and without warning, "cancelled" a product during a company-wide meeting and moved most of the team onto other teams. However, weeks later under pressure from customers, kind of un-cancelled the product and forced a few employees who had moved to work on supporting and developing new features on the dead product for a handful of whiny and demanding customers. - Splintered coding approaches. It seems like each team has its own choice language(s), code stack, etc, so each part of the same product has a pretty different stack to get used to. - Low employee moral. The joke around the office is why work on something new when the executives are just going to cancel it in a couple months - Salt Lake office is very drab and no joke, looks like it belongs in Office Space. Just another example of overpromising. When they first moved to the latest Salt Lake office, there were grand promises of refurbishing the place. And there's still not so much as a new light fixture in the office.

Advice to Management

Get your house in order and stop overpromising. You say that you are trying to be transparent and real, but when your objectives and behavior changes every couple of months, your employees hold no trust or belief in you.

XANT2019-09-30

"XANT CANT the companies chance has passed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people who truly want to make the company work.

Cons

Consistent layoffs across multiple years. Their unique data asset is old and how cross-company data is used is questionable. The "AI" can barely be considered "AI". Don't be fooled this is a custom development house for 3-4 of its largest clients only. XANT/Insidesales.com is now just a byword. Can you really trust a company that had to lay off half its employees and then change its name? They did this to look good to investors because they can't make their own profit.

Advice to Management

Best of luck. Stop lying to employees about sales of the new product when it has all just been moving current cusomters off the old product to the new one. no net gain

XANT2019-11-14

"Reflecting on my time at InsideSales.com"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Provo, UT

I worked at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits: - Unlimited PTO - Generous HSA match - 401k match seems standard for area/industry - Unlimited/free diabetes/soda machine Experience: I started in tier 1 support taking phone calls and by the time I left InsideSales.com I was traveling around the country to implement the product in large enterprise companies. Along the way I learned a lot about the SaaS industry, obtained some technical skills, learned about business in general, and was able to beef up my resume. Culture: - I really, genuinely liked everybody I worked with at InsideSales.com. There are tons of smart and dedicated people there. - For being in the heart of white-bread-skim-milk Mormonland I felt like the organization I was in was somewhat diverse. It probably wouldn't be considered diverse anywhere else but for Utah County I think it was. - On my team I felt like I was able to work from home pretty much any time that I wanted to when not traveling. You tend to want to take advantage of that after flying around so much. Product: Around the time that I left, the company seemed to finally be surfacing its differentiator (massive data lake) into the product in a way that was meaningful for the end-user. Finally. New CEO: I liked Chris Harrington. I mean I didn’t know him personally or anything. I can’t stress the word “some” enough here, but I think SOME of the things that I’m going to outline in the “Cons” section will change with him at the helm. He seemed very matter-of-fact and direct. I think he inherited a situation that was much worse than he (and everyone else) was led to believe when he joined the company. I think he will turn that situation around, but it will be painful for almost everyone.

Cons

Compensation: - While some of the benefits eased the pain of this a little, at the end of the day what was left of my take-home compensation after paying my mortgage/bills was so little I couldn't meaningfully save nor improve my family's quality of life. I researched salaries for my position and found out I was making quite a bit less than the average I was finding for the area. - The company does a good job of discouraging you from even asking for a raise. I lived through three rounds of layoffs in my time at the company. Hard to ask for a raise when they're letting go of people. - But I tried anyways. After two years at the company and being moved to a position with quite a bit more responsibility, I spent nine months asking three different managers (org restructures) for a raise to be given a small bump that didn’t affect my monthly budgeting. After putting so much effort into getting a tiny bump I didn’t really feel it was worth it to ask again in the proceeding years. - Several skills were required in my position. I was able to take just one (ONE!) of those skills somewhere else for a significant pay increase. So like... thanks for giving me an environment where I had to learn and use that skill. But also... what the hell? Come on. - The bonus structure is reworked every fiscal year. While this is done to align with the current company vision it, made it difficult to focus on one strategy OR pivot. The organization or company's vision would pivot again mid fiscal year but your bonus structure is locked in for the year. If you want to pivot you can't. If you want to focus you can't. And while it did seem to all average out, some items in the bonus structure felt like they were beyond my control and I was either significantly rewarded or penalized based on those. Company vision: - Constantly in flux. Do we kill the legacy product or keep supporting it? Should we not only support it but also add new features to it? Do we focus on Enterprise customers or dedicate some resources to mid-market too? Do we make our clients honor their contracts with us and contribute to the data lake or do we try to preserve a one-sided relationship? It happens so much that you just become apathetic to change. Then you get a survey: “Do you believe in the new direction the company is taking?” Yeah sure. - Even though it's been around for 15+ years the company still feels like it's in start-up mode in a lot of ways. - InsideSales.com seemed very top-heavy for the longest time. Though I’m not sure if that’s still the case. Work/life balance: I quickly tired of the travel required of my position. When you're traveling, you're away from your family, the comfort of your home, your hobbies, etc. The workload when you are traveling can be tremendous. And you end up traveling at least half the month on average--sometimes you can be traveling every week of a month, then the next month not at all, then two weeks out of the month the next, etc. The travel schedule sporadic-ness and workload combination make it difficult or impossible to develop professional skills (that don't relate directly to your function) outside of working hours. I was going to school part time but had to drop classes after I took this position. Work travel is great for some people. Some of my coworkers who were single loved it. Even some with families loved it. But I couldn’t seem to strike a balance that let me have quality family and development time while traveling for work. Product: - InsideSales.com claims to have the largest sales data lake in the industry. I believe that. I’m also afraid that much of that data is stagnant and old. Most of the benefit of that data lake is really stressed and talked about in the sales process but not delivered in the product. It is stressed that InsideSales.com can help you know who to sell to and when. But everyone at the company seemed to constantly be asking “okay… how?” The employees themselves didn’t even seem to understand how because it’s not actually in the end product. This is another aspect I feel is turning around or changing for the better, but I cannot be sure as of the time I left the company. - Sales teams promise things that aren’t in the product. Engineering then has to scramble to make it by a certain deadline. QA then feels rushed. And then everyone is affected by bugs. I know that’s pretty normal in the software industry, but it seemed especially egregious at InsideSales.com. - This is likely a matter of perception, but I felt like some (certainly not all) of the features that were released weren’t being asked for by anybody. While things that were popular and requested with some frequency were either killed off completely or kept getting delayed. - The product never felt enterprise-ready. Lots of good features and cool bells and whistles, yes. But some items that are essential within large organizations—like automation and user/content management—had limitations that made administrative work with the product a headache. If managers won’t buy in then they won’t get their end users to either. - Competition has caught up. If customers can’t take advantage of the data lake then the product is just a more expensive version of things that are already on the market. Leadership seems to know and acknowledge this, but again back to the first point… until two months ago nothing ever seemed to surface in the product to help customers take advantage of the data lake. And there is still much to do in that regard. Job security: - As I mentioned previously, I survived three rounds of layoffs in my time at the company. Those are just absolute morale killers (as they would be anywhere). I guess InsideSales.com had another round of layoffs a week or so ago. Maybe that would have been the one where I was let go. But there was always some air of inevitability that it will be your turn next round. - And there always seemed to be a next round. After each round the company would always say they’re positioning themselves to be more profitable and avoid layoffs in the future. I heard that speech several times. For everyone left I hope it's true this time. - Due to the company’s constantly shifting focus you might be working in Enterprise world one day, but then the company decides it wants to go after mid-market or SMB again and you’re moved to one of those segments. Later, the company decides to abandon mid-market and SMB or changes the definition of what qualifies as “enterprise” and guess what? You’re gone. Why did I seek a new opportunity? Honestly, I’m not too picky. I could live with most of those cons I outlined above for the right compensation or internal career path. But neither was there for me, unfortunately. My pay felt stagnant.* I wanted a different career within the company but there was no internal way to get there from my current position without improving my skills outside of working hours. The travel/workload did not allow me the time to seek those skills outside of work. And that kept me stuck in my current position. It was just a circle I couldn’t get out of while I was working there. *To be 100% fair and transparent, I was given a decent-sized raise right before I left. But this was after I had already sought and accepted new opportunities outside the company but had not yet informed my superiors. The amount I was brought up to brought me to a level that I felt was fair, but it is what I should have been earning for at least two years before finally being given that amount. And still, I had a handful of offers that were all higher than the new amount I was given at InsideSales.com.

Advice to Management

My immediate managers were good at managing. I don't really have advice for them. Also, the managers immediately above my managers were great and seemed to stick up for and help out all of us under them. The stuff I would like to see changed mostly seems like it has to come from the top down. Compensation for the CX org and product management/bug fixes/prioritization need to be re-worked. Company vision and direction under Chris needs to stay on focus (and I believe it will).

XANT2019-10-08

"Had fun, but the company is likely dead"

Former Employee - Developer

I worked at XANT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great tech stack with Node, Go, Microservices, AWS, Docker, etc. Liberal PTO. Mostly nice people that were easy to get along with.

Cons

Did not put enough effort into QA, which led to buggy software that upset customers, and therefore lost them business. Sales team wrote checks the Dev team couldn't cash, leading to hard deadlines and buggy code, then to lost business. Company made a grave mistake in purchasing Cloud9, and inherited a self implemented database! Completely insane decision. Bit off way more than they could chew, and now layoff after layoff after layoff are the result. Now the layoffs have cut too deep. Entire teams have been removed, which is going to lead to even more problems for customers, which will lead to more customers leaving, which will lead to more layoffs. I predict a death spiral is taking place.

XANT2019-09-27