XL Catlin Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael McGavick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Global company with diverse insurance products. Innovative / open-minded culture

Cons

Many groups focused on their individual areas, which creates silos and makes it difficult to gather necessary people and resources for larger centralized projects.

"Ethically Challenged HR Leadership and Apathetic Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Decent vacation allowance
    Unlimited sick time
    Gym reimbursement (less than $200 a year)
    Day of Giving - day off to do charity work with coworkers

Cons

HR leaders are an incompetent, underqualified clique, who have been promoted into positions for political reasons--not because they have exemplary knowledge, skills or abilities.

Projects that would benefit the company and improve efficiency go nowhere because the leaders in HR take no action and do no support meaningful change. You end up spinning your wheels working on initiatives that never come to fruition.

HR Leaders and Senior Management make unethical and legally questionable decisions to appease business line managers.

This is a dead end job. Anyone who works here will be bored and seriously frustrated. Unless you like the feeling of getting nothing accomplished, and no one caring about making things better, don't take a job here.

Advice to Management

Rethink who is running HR

3. "Better in retrospect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at XL Catlin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have posted here before but wanted to add some insights now that I've been at another firm for a while.

Strong company culture. Frequent communication from senior leadership, whether town halls or even just regular emails, so that you don't feel they are so removed from the day to day.

HR and IT/help desk, while they could definitely use improvement, are worlds above some other companies. Performance management was taken seriously and there was frequent communication about the annual performance review process - I'm not a fan of these processes generally but admit that they did put some effort into it and communication/ instructions were good. By that I mean, you know the due date, there's a culture of honest and open peer feedback, there frequently communicated trainings about how to fill out the assessments, etc.

VERY strong benefits. Strong starting salaries and fair annual raises.

Generally strong leadership and an authentic passion for innovation and for doing good work. Nice, down to earth people throughout the firm. I felt proud to work there and wanted the company to succeed.

I think McGavick is a very strong leader. I hope that lives on with Greg at AXA.

Cons

A lot of legacy processes and systems in place that didn't get enough investment to overhaul and seriously hindered productivity. Too much "process" that can hold back actual innovation, even if the innovation culture is there. For example creating lots of weekly results spreadsheets and reports instead of using that time to build new ways of doing things. A well intentioned effort to offshore some of the process work only made this worse as onshore employees needed to spend tons of time redoing work by unskilled, untrained, or underpaid colleagues abroad.

Also, unfortunately, in some offices, a bit of a "wait your turn" culture when it comes to promotion and getting exposure to interesting work. A lot of people have been with XL or its predecessors for many years, which is a good thing, but it can hold back young talent. Didn't seem to be truly pay for performance - ratings might be differentiated but pay was barely distinguished, which can hurt incentives. Limited bonuses and promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

Make a stronger effort to retain top employees. Give them opportunities and recognition, including pay.

4. "Casualty Claims"

I worked at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Good benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k with company match. Open office format.

Cons

Gender disparity in pay scale and promotional opportunities. Corporate management conveys support for diversity and work/home life balance, but implementation by lower management is lacking.

5. "Claims"

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Great culture, Good pay and flat

Cons

Lots of competing projects can make it difficult to execute

6. "vp"

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

flat organization , nimble and can think outside of your lane

Cons

very senior management isolated

Advice to Management

spend more time with the employees that bring in the business

7. "Great company depending on office location and department"

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Great pay, compensation, benefits, and flexibility.

Cons

Constant pressure to develop and advance but little opportunity and resources.

Advice to Management

Focus on all groups - big and small.

8. "No clear strategy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

strong benefits, specially 401k contribution

Cons

After de C acquisition the company has still not find its way. No clear strategy of what it wants to become and trying to cut expenses in the wrong place.

"Unbelievable but it is true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Pros

Good benefits
    Cafeteria
    Co-workers worked well together and supported each other
    Some of the managers are nice
    Good location
    Good company
    I would recommend people to work there but not for 2 units in the company

Cons

I worked at XL for years in various sectors of the company. Never in my life did I ever think I would be a victim of such a horrific experience as I did in my last years with the company. My direct manager was filled with hate toward individuals she managed, was extremely controlling, micromanaged to the point that it caused interference with production, lied to keep us from doing things that the rest of the company was allowed to do like work from home, held information back, sought managerial advice from lower level staff, had lower level staff perform managerial duties, was able to mentally push nerve wracked people out the door, turned Senior Management against us too, and Senior Management also said inappropriate things to us too. The staff was so upset, everyone was taking anxiety pills to survive. Human Resources became aware and did nothing about it. We all worked hard, we all tried our best, but we were treated with cruelty and hate. How this continues and managers like this are not fired is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Be nice to people. Stop the hate. Be professional. Stop talking and gossiping about people and other managers. Needs high level of improvement.

10. "Loss Prevention"

I worked at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Interesting work
    Flexible hours
    Work from home
    Benefits

Cons

Compensation
    Career advancement
    Internal systems
    Opportunities

Advice to Management

Offer more career advancement opportunities