XL Catlin Reviews | Glassdoor

XL Catlin Reviews

Updated December 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: no one can provide better than XL Catlin (in 45 reviews)

• Good Benefits specially leave policy and insuarance benefits (in 25 reviews)

"Workplace Partner"

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly people, good corporate environment

Cons

No room for growth, limited opportunities

"Disappointing."

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Better than average 401K employee matching.

Cons

Ever since the merger 2 years ago, there are promises, promises and promises. But at the end of the day, I am disappointed, disappointed and disappointed. The whole IT department is a mess. The India vendors chosen are laughable. All the good men with good knowledge were gone or being pushed aside. All the so-called cost saving is a number game, and I think we end up wasting more money in the current operating model. The IT senior management only knows to think big, but they have no idea how to get there. They told us to dream big (like we are not passionate about our work) but never provided enough directions or funding or even time to do anything good.

Advice to Management

Please look hard on IT leadership and really pick the right guy. Not some outsider who knows nothing about technologies to lead IT, which is supposed to be all about technologies.

3. "Good and Leadership team is working on to make it better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With new Leadership team and CI Initiative company is making lot of progress on streamlining the processes. After the merger now two companies are working together and making lot of improvements.

Cons

Working with the vendor resources are still challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good job.

"Not what they portray to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at XL Catlin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Decent benefit package
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Very slow decicion processes
    - Fearful mangement unwilling to take risks
    - Senior management not engaging with the people
    - Not very open to new ideas in certain areas

"Still Struggling after three years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Average market salary.
    - 401k above average from other companies.
    - Bonus is reasonable but has been less compare to two years ago
    - Flex work policy

Cons

- Trend on cutting expense has led to more jobs moving to India
    - Reduction of employees in the IT department that can keep the systems operational
    - IT is a joke of the company lead by inexperience leadership from London
    - Budget cuts resulting in providing less business value overall

Advice to Management

It’s been almost three years since the acquisition of Catlin. I feel the business has learned that Catlin management had no idea on how to run a business which has resulted in removal of 95% of Catlin employees from leadership position. Great move from our CEO and President. I commend you for that move because it was the right decision for the company. But sadly the same kind of decision has not been made in the Platform area lead by our CPO. There is still Catlin leadership in place causing disarray across the operational and IT area. The Insurance platform area is in a disarray without any system strategy to move forward for the past two years. The IT organization is completely in a meltdown mode with the Catlin CIO that took the Global CIO position. The IT environment is completely unstable and dysfunctional where we cannot even successfully complete a simple disaster recovery of our systems. The new model which has been executed by the Global CIO has not been successful in delivering the service improvement that were promised. Cutting expense to show savings is easy but maintaining a level of service that adds business value is difficult. The overall Catlin IT budget was inflated to begin with because Catlin IT did not know how to manage their budget or provide business value resulting in subpar service. But with that inflated budget the saving that was promised came easy but now with the new model in place, we can see that it was all an account game played by the Global CIO. The Chief Platform Officer has failed to observer this fact or choses to ignore it to avoid the difficult decision. Regardless the leadership from the CPO has been very absent. Maybe it’s time for the CPO to move on to let someone else make the tough decision. The company has great people but it take a great leader to realize when something needs to change. I hope the platform leadership changes soon so that we can start providing value back to the business. At the moment I would not recommend this company. But if the Platform Leadership changes, I feel this can be a great company once again.

6. "Overall good experience"

I worked at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Managers are cooperative ,working hours are flexible

Cons

Technologies used are becoming obsolete

"This place needs a wake up call - it's a disaster"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Was formerly a great place to work. Flexibility with working from home. Some of the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Since the "merger" everything is just terrible. During the peak of the merger they would hold town halls and assure people there were not going to be anymore layoffs, and then the following week more people would be let go. The Atlanta location is almost dead - before the merger we filled two full floors, now we barely fit 25% of one floor. There is so much red tape in this company that nothing productive will ever Almost all employees now are contractors and/or in India. The only full time employees left are management, everyone else is a contractor or in India. Senior management is running this place into the ground and key people are leaving. Shame on the executives for what they have done to this company, especially in the IT department. Just to get access for an employee now takes weeks, because the service now platform is complete garbage. Contractors are treated poorly, and have no care about the company. The are held to extremely strict SLAs and that's all the care about.

Advice to Management

This company has fallen so far that is a disgrace. Bring back full time employees and get rid of the high number of India resources. Act like you care about subordinates, even your contractors.

"Senior Underwriter"

I worked at XL Catlin full-time

Pros

Outstanding 401k match, great coworkers

Cons

Management heavy with no accountability for bad decision making.

"Good, but it was better"

Former Employee - IT Technician in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Technician in Stamford, CT

I worked at XL Catlin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Yearly compensation increases based on performance reviews.

Cons

Too many cuts with the recent merger. The company wants to innovate and adapt, but is stretching resources too thin.

Advice to Management

Not enough growth opportunities outside of London.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XL Catlin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people who are interested in ways you could advanced and good benefits
    Many employees have been here long term

Cons

Raises and bonuses are not what they use to be for lower level employees

Advice to Management

Budget reductions should start from the top, don't stop providing snacks and Kleenex to everyone when your upper management is spending $8,000 on one flight to Switzerland.