XL Group Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

XL Group Inc Reviews

Updated October 10, 2017

2.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work with a close group of people"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Doylestown, PA

I worked at XL Group Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with a good group of people to work with. The culture is unique but in a very good way. There is a draw each Friday to award people for being compliant on their daily work activity tracking which is part of the culture. The owner is a really great guy.

Cons

Not much room for advancement to further your career due to it being a small company but if you are happy with where you are at it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing. You are headed in the right direction.

"Micromanagement and nepotism"

Former Employee - Programmer in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Doylestown, PA

I worked at XL Group Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. That's it.

Cons

I worked here for five years. Over my tenure I was lauded (mostly privately... more on that later) for producing results very quickly and very efficiently; I busted my butt to get projects completed. I worked late, I put in 10 hour shifts when necessary, I helped out on more projects than anyone else in the company. Quite frankly, the last one I completed was a work of art... one manager who wasn't directly involved commented "wow, we did that?", as if he couldn't believe what we were capable of (he honestly did not know because individual teams work discretely... there's very little inter-team communication.) Immediately after it was shipped, I was let go despite the majority of my team and the programming team remaining intact. There is no loyalty whatsoever in this company, unless you're related to someone in upper management. Which is to say, unless you're part of 50% of the company, because half of them are either related to each other or to someone who's friends with the owner.

You are forced to attend daily meetings which consist, literally, of reading a bulleted list of your priorities for the day. Not explaining them, not discussing them- reading them verbatim from a list. The owner goes around the room calling people's names, and they speak out loud their priorities, which are available online for everyone to read at any time. The level of micromanagement at this place is one of the most absurd things I have -ever- seen. On Fridays, it's a special version of the meeting where everyone is welcomed to publicly thank others for doing good work. Except, it's the exact same thing every week... the aforementioned inner circle of upper management and people related to each other patting itself on the back for doing a mediocre job, while the actual workhorses (the programmers, designers, and QA team) go unsung.

The owner is a passive-aggressive sociopath who publicly humiliates anyone who isn't completely on board with his fanatical micromanagement style. It happened to me personally and I privately called him out via email to discuss it. I was ready to quit, but we had a seemingly productive meeting where he listened to my complaints about how I was treated and attempted to explain himself in a rational manner. I mistakenly believed we had made some progress before I was terminated after finishing my then-current project.

Advice to Management

Knock it off with the time-wasting meetings. For god's sake, cut out the micromanagement lunacy. Get some people in management who aren't related to each other, so that you can finally hear someone else's viewpoints. They don't have the balls to say it to you, but NOBODY likes the useless, antiquated xlerator, paul. Get over yourself.

"XL Intern Experience"

Pros

Small company, easy to know everybody

Cons

They just started intern program and do not give out any return offers

"coreview"

I worked at XL Group Inc full-time

Pros

Some nice people to work with

Cons

Mis managedfrom top of organization

Advice to Management

Think smarter and treat workers with respect

"Only if you"

Pros

Breakfast on Friday and a drawing for $500 under the counter.

Cons

Doesn't honor agreements, cutthroat, doesn't do yearly reviews/raises and cheap. Does "sheath" layoffs, people just disappear.

Advice to Management

Give reviews and raises.

"Interesting culture"

Former Employee - Manager in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Doylestown, PA

I worked at XL Group Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a draw for money for entering your daily activity. There is a breakfast on Fridays and pretzels on Monday.

Cons

Employees work on teams and those teams don't always cooperate with each other. There aren't many "company" initiatives.

Advice to Management

Look at employees more equally. Rewards are given for doing a job for some and not for others.

"decent company"

Pros

good hours, decent pay, nice enough people

Cons

cut throat, no room for error, mgmt micromanages.