XO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
XO Group CEO Mike Steib
Mike Steib

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is MUCH better than what you find at other companies doing this level of engineering (in 25 reviews)

• Full time employees get unlimited vacation, after all (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Better than most and always improving"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At XO, I got to work on solutions to real and interesting problems using the best technologies. My team had access to the newest tools and was given the freedom to try new methodologies and ideas.

Work-life balance is MUCH better than what you find at other companies doing this level of engineering. Working remotely is fine and supported by good infrastructure.

IT support is top-notch. The very best of anywhere I've worked.

Some task switching and changes in direction, but usually with good reason and so much better than at smaller outfits racing for users. XO has the urgency to succeed, but the luxury of being able to take a longer outlook.

This is a large-ish public company with a strong brand and market presence, cash, and a willingness to change, grow, and invest. And very little bureaucracy. That's rare.

I thought the pace of change and growth was right. But a measured approach to engineering and change isn't right for everyone. If you're the sort who gets antsy if you don't get to start over every year, XO isn't for you. They change when it makes sense; it's a business, not a lab. Employees are encouraged to propose changes and are listened to.

Fun environment. The office culture is casual and friendly.

Cons

The bonus plan isn't the best, but compensation generally is fair.

Advice to Management

Make sure the managers you hire are a good fit culturally. Don't create islands within the company. The culture is great and needs to be protected.

Make sure management structure reflects the transformation of the company. Consider things like a chief software officer or high level architects.

2. "Great Culture & Career Investment"

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at xo for several years has given me career growth I could not have acquired in many companies. The culture encourages managers to foster their teams where you can truly own your outcomes. XO also pays their employees well and offers top benefits. Though the company is about 20 years old many have now worked at XO for over a decade. They invest in their employees and have a created a culture where people want to work and stay in their positions.

Cons

Change is a given so those looking for constant repetition or guaranteed stability should steer clear of XO.

"Great Place to work, feels like a family!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working at XO Group, I've been here for a couple years now, if you love weddings and life stages it is very fun, and something to feel passionate about. We are really helping people plan the best day of their lives, plus you get to work with a ton of kick-ass women! There are also weekly happy hours, and unlimited vacation which never hurts.

Cons

Not a ton of room to grow $$$ wise but a great first job and there is potential to continue with your career if you really really strive for it every day. Still it seems people coming in from the outside benefit more with raises, but it's that way at most companies, even if it doesn't make the most sense.

Advice to Management

Keep showing love to our users and love to employees who care about the brand and success of the company and it's users, who embody our core values.

4. "Cliques"

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits and maternity leave. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Upper management please take note. You have way too many managers in Omaha that were promoted because the are friends. It’s not quality, but quantity. Many employees are streaming videos, standing around and doing nothing. Meanwhile good hard working employees have to interview for their own jobs just so a new “friend” can take their job. None of these so called managers could hold their own in any other company.

Advice to Management

Really learn what your Omaha managers are doing and hold them accountable.

5. "Great Starter Job"

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits and maternity leave. Fun people to work with. A lot of fun activities around the office including bring your child to work day, lots of food days, and travel options!

Cons

Low pay, many changes in management and teams. Account managers can be hard to work with. A lot of drama between managers and other staff members. Tech issues and difficult clients, leave for a very stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Don't allow clicks to happen between managers and other staff. Show that you are supportive of the teams and don't let account managers push around the other support positions.

6. "Love the people, the brand, and the problems we solve."

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, I have made several good friends at XO. It often feels like family.
    Very strong product and design organization. Lots of room for growth.
    Engineering always on the forefront of technologies.
    Weddings is a very interesting space with so much room for improvement.
    Fast paced and agile.

Cons

XO often has the energy and speed of a startup. However, it is still a public company that needs to produce quarter over quarter results. This makes bigger changes take longer and overall there is more risk-aversion than a private company might have.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people!

7. "Good work-life balance"

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

XO is flexible and human-centered

Cons

XO compensation is average for market

"I really like it but sales people seem miserable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

I've been here longer than most because there is a lot of turnover. I think it's a good company that has treated me well, but honestly I think it's mostly that I have a good manager.

Cons

I'm not on the sales side, which I'm glad about. Notice that a lot of the negative reviews are from sales people, whatever they're doing over there is a mess. It sucks because they're the ones making the money for my paycheck and it seems like it's terrible for them.

9. "Account Strategist"

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

Company culture. Free snacks, good HH and the option to travel for weddings workshops and events.

Cons

Communication between management and their employees is non-existent. Everything is so disorganized that it affects client experience. It feels like they're about 10 years behind as a "tech company". They ask for feedback from employees but never follow through. It's clear that they want to improve but dislike change, especially management. Their idea of improving operational processes is "well so and so was overworked so that's why we changed the process" and then expect everyone to adhere to some bogus process that does not make sense.

Advice to Management

You need to train your managers. Improve communication and revisit ALL your processes from each department.

"Just ok..."

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

Stable place to work with nice people.

Cons

Strange culture divide between the old media company and the new tech company it's trying to become. Not the most inspiring place to be.