XO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
XO Group CEO Mike Steib
Mike Steib

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They understand that a good work/life balance is important and want their employees to be happy" (in 28 reviews)

• "Full time employees get unlimited vacation, after all" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management please take note" (in 13 reviews)

• "lack of communication and micromanage" (in 6 reviews)

1. "XO Family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

XO Group really cares about their employees! They are very thoughtful and ensure that there is a high touch and attention detail for employees through the employee life cycle - specifically interview process and onboarding.
    This is a company where you can add value at all levels while remaining true to your authentic self! There is a real culture and community feel at XO and I am proud to be apart of the XO Family!

Cons

The New York location is hip but could be a challenge for commuters from Westchester & New Jersey.

2. "Good People and Good Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership team are all very accessible, open, and honest. Agree with the below that there is some variation in the quality of engineering managers, and directors. I have had some great managers and some not so great managers here, but overall they have done a good job of weeding out the weaker members. They are also getting better at mobility and being able to move around to different squads.

Cons

There is a lot of 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' in terms of promotions and compensations. Often times it's whoever has the squeakiest manager.
    Your annual review is made up of elements that often don't relate to actual talent and achievement (outdated goals, company values)

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid to take risks and be short-sighted in our product decisions. We have the talent and resources to shake things up, but we're always chasing a short-term revenue bump.

3. "Solid product culture with lots of upside"

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

- We're solving real problems for people;, it's important and fun
    - There is a lot of opportunity in the space and at the company
    - People are generally very nice and genuine, even management

Cons

- There is a lot of change like at startups and in big tech, if that's not for you then this might not be the place

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in your people and don't be afraid to innovate!

4. "Sales"

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Great work environment for young people

Cons

AWFUL job and not worth the benefits

5. "Love Working for XO Group"

I have been working at XO Group full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, love my team. They really care about their employees and value the growth of each individual both personally and professionally. I feel like I am part of a team at XO and am so happy to work for such amazing brands as well.

Cons

Pay is lower than the industry average for my role

"Engineering turnover continues"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

Awesome people, some flexibility in day to day scheduling. CEO is great and present.

Cons

The leadership in engineering is unresponsive to feedback. The quality of tech leads, managers, and seniors varies a lot from one team to the next and is trending down. Pay is below market so there is a lot of turnover.

7. "Do not work here!"

I worked at XO Group full-time

Pros

There are some good people who are being driven out by poor management.

Cons

I cannot imagine the positive reviews are real. This company is a complete mess. Benefits are terrible and everyone is miserable. Everyone quits with or without a job. Hours are terrible and promotions are rare.

Save yourself and don't work here.

8. "Collaborative and Challenging Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You have a voice in the company, whether it be product/tech decisions or suggestions for improve day-to-day processes
    - Your squad is given a high level of autonomy to find creative solutions. A lot of times, our executive team is just there to tell you the "what" but leave the "how" up to you.
    - Great collaboration among teams members and departments. Everyone is friendly and works together to find the best ideas.
    - NO LEGACY CODE. Tech has a heavy focus in the company and our product teams understand how important it is to stay up to date with your tech stack. We have fully transitioned off of our old .NET codebase and are frequently on the cutting edge with new languages, libraries, and architectures.
    - There is a high level of talent here, esp. in Engineering. This allows me to continue to grow and learn from some extremely smart people, but also challenge myself to get better every day.
    - The company cares about you. They understand that a good work/life balance is important and want their employees to be happy.
    - LOTS of opportunities for upward mobility. I have been here for 2 years and have seen multiple people promoted into bigger and better roles.
    - Benefits are great - unlimited PTO, employee stock purchase program, bonuses, etc.

Cons

The only real cons are the normal minor issues that arise with a fast-moving and growing company (communication, making decisions quickly, etc) but people are always actively trying to find ways to make our company better.

9. "BEST COMPANY EVER"

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at XO Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LOVE the culture, fun events, different ways to participate in groups, clubs, etc. It truly makes coming to work so much more enjoyable. Also the team environment within the company is better than I have ever experienced!

Cons

The only thing tough for me is my commute, but its worth it because i LOVE it but I drive an hour and a half DAILY!

Advice to Management

Keep the strong culture and great employment process to keep these awesome team members coming in!!

10. "continual change"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well established company with +20 yrs. Well funded with several streams of revenue. Big brand recognition. Smart Exec team, with culture of quickly adapting to change. Runs with the nimbleness of a startup but the structure and experience of a well established company. Great work life balance

Cons

Engineering culture needs a lot of improvement. Managers don't set proper expectations or goals and it doesn't help that sometimes it is a constant moving target. Engineering needs to establish strong standards. There tends to be a lot of tech debt that accumulates.

Advice to Management

Set very clear and explicit goals and expectations. Don't assume that people reporting to you understand your expectations.