XO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Mike Steib

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is MUCH better than what you find at other companies doing this level of engineering (in 25 reviews)

• work from home, lots of flexibility (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We believe in work life balance but also in hard work and urgency to get things done (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management likes the constant turnover (in 11 reviews)

1. "Better than most and always improving"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At XO, I got to work on solutions to real and interesting problems using the best technologies. My team had access to the newest tools and was given the freedom to try new methodologies and ideas.

Work-life balance is MUCH better than what you find at other companies doing this level of engineering. Working remotely is fine and supported by good infrastructure.

IT support is top-notch. The very best of anywhere I've worked.

Some task switching and changes in direction, but usually with good reason and so much better than at smaller outfits racing for users. XO has the urgency to succeed, but the luxury of being able to take a longer outlook.

This is a large-ish public company with a strong brand and market presence, cash, and a willingness to change, grow, and invest. And very little bureaucracy. That's rare.

I thought the pace of change and growth was right. But a measured approach to engineering and change isn't right for everyone. If you're the sort who gets antsy if you don't get to start over every year, XO isn't for you. They change when it makes sense; it's a business, not a lab. Employees are encouraged to propose changes and are listened to.

Fun environment. The office culture is casual and friendly.

Cons

The bonus plan isn't the best, but compensation generally is fair.

Advice to Management

Make sure the managers you hire are a good fit culturally. Don't create islands within the company. The culture is great and needs to be protected.

Make sure management structure reflects the transformation of the company. Consider things like a chief software officer or high level architects.

"It's like high school. Without all the jocks"

Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office space is air conditioned and if you're a jerk, you might make it into management. If you have a skill that is particularly valuable you might get left alone, but otherwise, watch your back.

Cons

It's like Lord of the Flies. Dysfunctional management led out of New York office encourages infighting and back stabbing. Good managers leave or get fired and bad, two faced managers are promoted in their place.

Advice to Management

If you see mass exoduses in offices or departments, either through firings or people quitting, as some questions as to why that's happening.

3. "Love The Culture!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work on "pet" projects, excellent leadership, awesome benefits and cool culture!

Cons

Difficult sometimes to get budget from projects.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but be more transparent with budget.

4. "Great Place to Be!"

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, Unlimited vacation, great team to work around. I would recommend XO Group to any of my friends. Great place to learn and grow

Cons

XO Management needs more training

"Best job I have ever had."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and direct management really cares about you and your personal/career growth.
    Everyone knows that work/life/rest is important and results in better performance.
    They really take care of you.
    Lots of opportunities for innovation, but you have to initiate it. They love it when you do too!
    Lots of cross team engineering growth opportunities.

Cons

Can be hard to get teams to collaborate.
    Competing KPIs across teams can cause poorer user experience. Though the company recognizes this and is making good steps to solve.

"Room for improvement."

I worked at XO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-unlimited vacation
    -beautiful office with snacks, coffee, etc.
    -Thursday night happy hours
    -learning events and opportunities
    -great products and a great vision

Cons

-limited career growth opportunities
    -high employee turnover rate
    -lack of communication between departments
    -weak mid-level management
    -poor compensation (below industry standard in most departments even though management says this is not the case)

"They don't really care about people who have been there for years..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy is great!

Cons

Many leads and mangers don't know what they are doing.

8. "Great company to work for, difficult for anyone looking for something long-term"

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Unlimited PTO
    - Good benefits
    - Friendly colleagues
    - Good company culture

I've been at XO for almost two years and overall, I've enjoyed my experience here. The industry could be worse (who doesn't like talking about weddings and babies all day?). It really comes down to the department because at the end of the day, a marketing job is a marketing job, a sales job is a sales job, etc. My job is stressful, but I do feel like I've gained a lot of skills working at XO, which I enjoy.

I also really like that I feel like the executives truly care about us, which is something I did not experience at my previous company. They're really always asking what they can do better and not only appreciate, but apply the input that we give them (if possible)

Cons

The pay isn't great for the work + hours we put in. Departments aren't given enough budget to give employees the raises they really deserve. There's also little room for growth in some departments, so it makes it difficult to build a career in one specific field here

Advice to Management

Work on creating opportunities that allow employees to grow, and allocate more budget to larger salaries or bonuses. I've seen too many great employees leave not because they really want to, but because they can't afford to stay.

9. "The company is trying hard to make it a great place to work, but falls short in all areas"

Current Employee - National in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-office location is great/amenities as well
    -majority of coworkers are all young & great to be around
    -good stepping stone into media
    --Hr tries to make it better with events, office hours, and approachable CEO but that only goes so far

Cons

- the national management has a poor attitude towards all those employees who are outside of the sales representatives
    -teams are often walked all over & ran into the ground- never in my life have i seen a sales organization who treats people so badly
    -mid level management is ineffective and should be removed to allow for growth
    -HR cannot be trusted, if you go to them with issues they immediately tell your manager private conversations

Advice to Management

Remember the people who really carrying out the campaign executions. Too often are these positions overlooked and results in high turnover & burnt out employees. Allow for growth on the national team.

10. "Love working at XO"

I have been working at XO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compelling, strong mission. Get it done attitude by all. Collaborative teamwork. Strong culture. Leadership team that really listens.

Cons

Too many meetings take away from getting the great work done.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.