XOJET Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Bradley Stewart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Private Jet Company: Exotic Market - Fun But Slow Growth"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at XOJET full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People there love aviation even if they're not the pilots. There's passion for the the work and good camaraderie.

Cons

Jets are expensive to maintain and fly and it's hard to grow to the point where additional support infrastructure is required.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to find that right business partner or in-house innovation to take things to the next level. You've got a great core of people. I appreciated my time there.

2. "Pilot"

Current Employee - Pilot
    Current Employee - Pilot

I have been working at XOJET full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chief pilots office, director of operations, company president are the best. They truly care about the welfare of their people. This company is about what's in the future and not what's in the past. They are extremely open to suggestions and growing the company as the best in the industry! I commend them on this effort.

Cons

CEO focus on the past and ananolgies to growing up poor must stop. A real CEO would see his most valuable investors are those that are making blood, sweat, and tears sacraficces on a day-in-out basis and negotiating with the BOD on a means to keep the worker bees from flying away by the inticement of more lucrative offers.

Advice to Management

Three items: 1) Come up with a solid and reslistic goal so employes truely understood the future direction of their efforts, STOP talking about the past. 2) Make 110% effort to avoid losing another employee. 3) Be a true leader to the company employees by 'selling' the concept of investment in the people as a top priority to the long term prosperity of the company.

May 4, 2017 – President, Fleet Operations

Appreciate the kind remarks regarding XOJET's open, transparent culture and thank you for the thoughtful advice. We are very focused on being a people-centered company.

3. "Excellent Management, Family Environment"

I have been working at XOJET full-time

Pros

The senior leadership of the company is fantastic. CEO Brad and COO Austin are very open with both the pilot and non-pilot groups of the organization. Up to $5k match on 401k is really good too.

Cons

Technology is lagging a bit, very email centric company and they don't seem to want to invest in some additional workflow tools to improve processes. Obviously you don't want to rock the boat when something works but its something to consider

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people, you're doing a great job of it already.

Feb 3, 2017 – President, Fleet Operations

Thanks for the kind feedback and for recognizing our transparent culture. We will indeed keep investing in good people -- our community of employees is what sets XOJET apart. You'll also see us... More

4. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at XOJET (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting line of work in business jet aviation.

Cons

Tremendous pressure to get the job done right the first time and on time.

Jan 10, 2017 – President, Fleet Operations

Our mission is to serve. We are fortunate to work among committed employees who find purpose in this service mission. Further, XOJET is a performance-oriented team. Getting the job done right and... More

"New Pay package"

Current Employee - Pilot Captain in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pilot Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at XOJET full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding pilot group, hired by pilots. New management style and pay package a vast improvement. New vacation addition for tenured pilots is good. Upper management and Chief Pilots office are the best.
     Monthly Q &A from CEO are informative and open. CEO actually likes his employees and cares about them.

Cons

401K contribution weak, Sick leave accrual for pilots needs to be increase (only 5 days per year, Does not even cover one common cold per year).

Advice to Management

Continue the direction you are going by hiring and keeping good people good at their job ( still some in middle management that don't meet that criteria)

Feb 12, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for the positive feedback on the new pay and vacation package. The guys and gals flying for XOJET have recruited and built a unique group of pilots in the industry. It's rewarding to be... More

6. "Trip Manager/Client Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Trip Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Trip Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at XOJET full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team of people, fairly easy once you get the aviation basics down, casual environment with free snacks and lots of free lunches.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to move forward, no windows in the office, ineffective micromanaging and juvenile finger pointing often occurs

Advice to Management

automate more processes to alleviate menial tasks and allow client services to take more time to personalize client communication, provide performance incentives

Feb 12, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Good advice regarding process automation and personalized communication. I think we can make real progress here in 2016. Under Renee and Paul's leadership, we are developing a cool new automated... More

"Disappointing 1yr Experience"

Former Employee - Pilot First Officer in Teterboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Pilot First Officer in Teterboro, NJ

Pros

- Mostly great pilot group
    - Set schedule
    - Home basing
    - Great hotels during layovers
    - Flew somewhere new every rotation (keeps it exciting)
    - Decent short term compensation
    - Current short upgrade time to captain with the right qualifications
    - Overall not a bad place to work but far from the best place for a pilot

Cons

- Very little to look forward to in pay and quality of life in the long term. Pay increases are minimal, amount of days worked remain the same (other than 1 extra week of vacation after a few years). 401k is inadequate.
    - Constant promises/lies from management on changes and improvements when the company starts making profits. CEO (Bread Stewart) claims the company can't afford to pay higher wages. In the meantime, investors are thanking pilots for all the money they are making for them.
    - More days away from home than most other pilot jobs
    - Very little flexibility in the fixed schedule
    - One incident away from being out of business entirely. Any high profile accident could shut them down.

Advice to Management

- Take care of your employees and they will take care of the company. Pilots have a great deal of control on how much profit can be made. If you compensate them fairly for what they are worth then they will take care of the company and stay for the long term. When you are losing 25% of your pilots per year and the remaining 70% have applications to other companies, they are obviously not satisfied with their quality of life and compensation.

- You get what you pay for. You want top quality pilots (which you currently have many). You need to pay them top industry salary or they will go where that is offered.

- Having a revolving door of new and inexperienced pilots coming and going is not safe and is of high risk of an incident.

Feb 1, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

We strive to recruit good people who are good at their jobs, but of course not everyone ends up being the right fit. That said, it is disappointing to learn that a departing team member was... More

"Getting better but still has a lot of work ahead."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at XOJET (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peer to peer program. The Sacramento office wouldn't be the same without office manager Katie Schendel and all the hard work she puts in for all of the employees.

Cons

Very little raises unless you are middle or upper management. Disconnect between upper management and office employees.

Advice to Management

Add mandatory training for managers before they become managers. Train your upper management on how to work with their direct reports. Implement a yearly raise (i.e. cost of living) all employees work hard at XOJET. I believe all employees want to stay at XOJET but they won't if they don't have an incentive to stay and if you don't become competitive with similar companies.

Oct 14, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

Agree that all employees work hard at XOJET. We win and lose as a team. Moreover, we absolutely need to remain competitive with similar companies, as you suggest. In this spirit, we were proud to... More

"Reflection"

Former Employee - Pilot
    Former Employee - Pilot

I worked at XOJET full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

XOJet offers an incredible opportunity to gain tremendous business aviation experience. Although the schedule is "hard" (8 days on, 6 days off), your work days are uniquely dynamic. A plane may end up in any city in North America, which is a double edged sword; it keeps the job very exciting, but also tough due to lack of ability to mentally plan. Most days will consist of 1-5 legs (average 2 legs; 2-5 hours of flight time total)

The pilot group at XOJet is one of the most talented and easy going in the industry. Each individual has a unique personality, which makes each week a new chapter. You will make friends for life here.

Safety is a huge focus, and you can expect that management will back you up.

Life on the road is decent, with a very liberal meal policy (expensed, no per diem) and typically a rental car to explore (although as business has picked up free time is a commodity). Marriott and Hilton properties are preferred. Pilots keep all points/miles.

Healthy benefits are decent, and include all the usual.

Cons

8 days on the road/away from loved ones can be tough, especially when business is up/flying all day every day. Additionally, the norm is fast becoming that day 1 and day 8 include commuting to work AND flying a leg or two. An early/exhausting start on day one can make or break the rest of the week. Also, many times a pilot will fly on day 8 before heading home.

The compensation/salary is getting better, but still not where it needs to be for a pilot working 200+ days a year. There is a "pay scale" in place now, but it is not comparable to major airlines by any means. It does allow for a small increase each year. The 401k match is severely lacking, which makes XOJet a tough place to picture working in the long term.

There are 8 days of vacation offered the first several years; unfortunately, this isn't enough and can't be used when needed. The way the system works, the only way to use it is in the 8-day block. There is no taking individual days off for appointments, obligations, family matters, etc. There is seniority based bid each year, and most individuals don't get their 8 day block off when they need it.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards a competitive compensation package, and focus on a better schedule (i.e. 7/7; legitimate vacation time with flexibility to take days off when needed). Although you indicate that we should not compare our packages to others in the industry due to our business model, you have to realize that these other organizations are competition from a "your pilots have the choice to go work there" point of view. Also, if you are going to trust the pilots to fly high-profile clients on multi-million dollar aircraft, why not trust them with smaller decisions (such as booking/changing their own flight home?)

Aug 17, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

What an incredibly thoughtful reflection. Personally, I think this does a great job highlighting XOJET’s uncompromising commitment to safety, our close-knit culture, and the uniquely... More

"Trip Manager"

Current Employee - Trip Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Trip Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at XOJET full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The XOJET family is definitely a tight-knit group. The work environment is very team-oriented and every department works together to act as part of a puzzle daily to create the main picture. The company itself has a very competitive and different product to offer in the industry and is on a thriving path towards extensive growth. I am very satisfied with the opportunities provided to me and am realizing my potential by being able to contribute in a great place.

Cons

Every organization has it's minor flaws. Especially in a constantly growing and changing company such as XOJET, it can be hard to keep up and have some tasks get lost in translation that can effect daily operations.

Advice to Management

Don't have any specific advice to provide management. Overall, I truly do believe management does a wonderful job in addressing employee concerns, resolving day-to-day issues, and working towards instilling values of XOJET in daily operations in order to provide a great product to the most sophisticated private aviation consumers.

Aug 6, 2015 – President & CEO

Thanks for this very kind and thoughtful post. I love the part about us being a tight-knit group. We are very much focused on being a people-oriented and value-centered company. It is good to see... More