XOMA Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate Director"

Former Employee - Associate Director in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on team effort and great job satisfaction

Cons

lack of overall company financial stability

2. "Great company to work for!"

I worked at XOMA full-time

Pros

Great company culture and work environment.

Cons

This was a smaller company with a limited budget.

Advice to Management

Too focused on best places to work designation.

3. "Good luck with what's left"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in El Cerrito, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in El Cerrito, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No science jobs left, research was shut down leaving only business development and clinical personnel. Laboratory equipment is available for purchase.

Cons

Advice to Management

Good luck

4. "Clinical Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the beginning of my time there, excellent pay, room to grow and training for staff. And it was easy to work with most of the staff.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management. As others have mentioned, it was a sinking ship and I'm not sure how much longer it will exist.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff more frequently.

5. "Great people but..."

I have been working at XOMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company encourages creativity, efficiency, new technology systems and no red tapes

Cons

Fast paced crazy, no set process- you define your own! Poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop being shortsighted.

6. "Project Manager"

I worked at XOMA full-time

Pros

Good intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Company has limited money for development programs.

Advice to Management

Diversify management

"Slowly sinking ship"

Former Employee - MFG Technician in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - MFG Technician in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was generous with salary on hire. Very proactive in their recruiting activities at other companies (back in 2006 ....highly doubt that now) Even had a $2500 referral bonus. Chill managers (in mfg anyway). Kickback work environment most of the time....taking fermenter readings every 2 hours...go back and watch youtube. Learned a lot because of the "multi hat environment". Saw a lot of stuff you would probably never would have seen or got to play with at big places like Amgen or GENE.COM Gossip about the fine girls in QC haha. Now for the bad....

Cons

Mass exodus of the true rainmakers came long ago. XOMA had patented their bacterial expression technologies for antibody production in their early years. They were living large with royalty checks from companies like Genentech.

Huge fail 1: Then they gambled big on their diabetes antibody that would only require once a month injections (made it all.the way to phase 3 just to find out it didnt work....) . Last I heard they were still trying to get it approved on "orphan" status for some obscure eye disease or may have just sold the whole project. Far cry from what was advertised to us what was suppose to be a billion dollar + a year blockbuster. We were told we were all gonna be promoted to the "next level" when this one took off. A month after being told the FDA rejected it based on lack of efficasy...most of mfg was promoted out the door.

Huge fail 2: Gambled big on a government backed anti-terrorism project to prepare for any possible attack via weaponized anthrax or botulism or something. Required a very ambitious COCKTAIL of antibodies (like 4 or more different ones if I remember correctly)...a real headache for mfg to say the least. This contract was suppose to keep us busy and rolling in cash for years since it was to stockpile
    millions of doses for the military . Stock crash of 2008 (?) lead to huge cuts in "unnecessary" defence spending. Game over..

Huge fail 3:
    After the above stated fails, an attempt to make the mfg buliding productive came in the form of contract manufacturing for other companies. Well amazingly we must had some seriously good salesmanship because we secured contracts that was suppose to keep us busy for years. Bottom line: Contracts cancelled. I had written 2 big paragraphs of why...but I deleted cause I dont want to get sued or something. That little paper you sign at hiring came to mind. Too bad...very "interesting" incidents and fond memories in X2 (the main mfg bldg). Could write a book about that now defunct place. Heard it was sold to another contract manufacturer?

Advice to Management

You can only reverse stock split so many times. The lucky chosen ones enjoy the good life till the bitter end. You know who you are.

"It was Fun While it Lasted"

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the people with whom I worked closely were intelligent as well as kind. There was a bit of minor drama, occasionally, but things were smoothed over as best as they could be relatively quickly. Employees were encouraged to take company-provided trainings and events fairly often, as well as to go on at least one business trip a year. I learned a lot in my year at XOMA and look forward to the next adventure.

Cons

There was quite a bit of resentment towards upper management at times. Sometimes, it felt like they made changes without consulting any of the people on the ground.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! Don't just randomly implement policies without any input from your employees. Or, where you DO receive input, don't just ignore that input. It happened too often to count.

9. "XOMA"

Pros

XOMA has a policy of matching salaries and benefits to the market. The management care about the well being of employees. Work atmosphere is friendly.

Cons

The company recently failed a critical phase 3 clinical trial and is now undergoing workforce reduction. It may take a while for business to get back on track.

Advice to Management

Get a good partnership ASAP to help sustain the business operations.

"Treats workers well but has deep issues"

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Treated employees well, even during layoff. Severance was reasonable and they sent out a resume book to help employees find new jobs
    Scientific group trained people for skills they lacked
    Salary and benefits were competitive

Cons

Technology is outdated, they have not kept up with current advances in cloning, panning and antibody development
    All eggs in one or two baskets, which can be good, if the baskets are good

Advice to Management

Encourage adoption of new technologies
    Spend the money to hire senior staff away from innovative companies to bring energy and ideas. Some staff has been around too long and have stagnated.