XOMA Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate Director"

Former Employee - Associate Director in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on team effort and great job satisfaction

Cons

lack of overall company financial stability

2. "Good luck with what's left"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in El Cerrito, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in El Cerrito, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No science jobs left, research was shut down leaving only business development and clinical personnel. Laboratory equipment is available for purchase.

Cons

Advice to Management

Good luck

3. "Clinical Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the beginning of my time there, excellent pay, room to grow and training for staff. And it was easy to work with most of the staff.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management. As others have mentioned, it was a sinking ship and I'm not sure how much longer it will exist.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff more frequently.

"Slowly sinking ship"

Former Employee - MFG Technician in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - MFG Technician in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was generous with salary on hire. Very proactive in their recruiting activities at other companies (back in 2006 ....highly doubt that now) Even had a $2500 referral bonus. Chill managers (in mfg anyway). Kickback work environment most of the time....taking fermenter readings every 2 hours...go back and watch youtube. Learned a lot because of the "multi hat environment". Saw a lot of stuff you would probably never would have seen or got to play with at big places like Amgen or GENE.COM Gossip about the fine girls in QC haha. Now for the bad....

Cons

Mass exodus of the true rainmakers came long ago. XOMA had patented their bacterial expression technologies for antibody production in their early years. They were living large with royalty checks from companies like Genentech.

Huge fail 1: Then they gambled big on their diabetes antibody that would only require once a month injections (made it all.the way to phase 3 just to find out it didnt work....) . Last I heard they were still trying to get it approved on "orphan" status for some obscure eye disease or may have just sold the whole project. Far cry from what was advertised to us what was suppose to be a billion dollar + a year blockbuster. We were told we were all gonna be promoted to the "next level" when this one took off. A month after being told the FDA rejected it based on lack of efficasy...most of mfg was promoted out the door.

Huge fail 2: Gambled big on a government backed anti-terrorism project to prepare for any possible attack via weaponized anthrax or botulism or something. Required a very ambitious COCKTAIL of antibodies (like 4 or more different ones if I remember correctly)...a real headache for mfg to say the least. This contract was suppose to keep us busy and rolling in cash for years since it was to stockpile
    millions of doses for the military . Stock crash of 2008 (?) lead to huge cuts in "unnecessary" defence spending. Game over..

Huge fail 3:
    After the above stated fails, an attempt to make the mfg buliding productive came in the form of contract manufacturing for other companies. Well amazingly we must had some seriously good salesmanship because we secured contracts that was suppose to keep us busy for years. Bottom line: Contracts cancelled. I had written 2 big paragraphs of why...but I deleted cause I dont want to get sued or something. That little paper you sign at hiring came to mind. Too bad...very "interesting" incidents and fond memories in X2 (the main mfg bldg). Could write a book about that now defunct place. Heard it was sold to another contract manufacturer?

Advice to Management

You can only reverse stock split so many times. The lucky chosen ones enjoy the good life till the bitter end. You know who you are.

5. "Not well managed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at XOMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about XOMA

Cons

Nothing is properly planned. Too much to do with very little resources

6. "XOMA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at XOMA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has a very good pool of talented scientists in development, research and discovery. The location is very good. As one of the oldest biotech companies in the SF Bay Area, XOMA has been in existence for 34 years.

Cons

XOMA has no commercially successful product. There is never enough funding to perform scientifically robust studies, and make advancements more methodically. Jumping hoops can be lucky sometimes, but can also lead one to fall.

"Excellent colleagues, acceptable senior management"

Former Employee - Senior Staff in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work for the betterment of patience. You just cant beat the feeling that you make other people's life a lot better

Cons

The company is trying to cut cost by cutting benefit to employees. Upper echelon is immune to benefit cut. The infantry is the one who suffer the most. Sr. Management even hire a new person with the sole purpose to figure out the best way to cut benefit as much as possible.

Advice to Management

None - they refuse to listen to anybody outside their echo chamber

"Fast paced small biotech but opportunities for folks willing to put the effort in"

Former Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small company so you get to know most everyone and the atmosphere is very collegial. Lots of very bright and talented people to work with. Historically they have been good about promoting from within so if you are willing to put yourself out there and do the work there are opportunities to advance and even make career changes. Salaries and benefits good for a company of their size. Many employees are able to have flexibility in hours or even telecommute some days.

Cons

Resources are limited so there are not as many opportunities to go to conferences or get cutting edge software or equipment like there are at larger companies. Interdepartmental communications could be better considering the size of the organization.

"Good Company but lacking resources"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Feel like you're part of a family, relax atmosphere! Lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. They really tried to stretch the resurces

10. "It is a good experience working here."

Current Employee - Scientist I in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Berkeley, CA

Pros

People generally are nice. We mostly know each other well.
    Employer offers onsite career training, from leadership, communication, to computer skills.

Cons

Company experienced several expension and contractions.
    Some people have experienced being laid off twice, it would be difficult to ask them to come back.

Advice to Management

It would be better for senior managment to put more amphasis on longterm growth, rather than short time gains. It would also help if the senior managment be more transparent about ongoing activities.