XPRIZE Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
XPRIZE CEO Marcus Shingles
Marcus Shingles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • NOT your conventional office space and culture- which I like (in 7 reviews)

• Most of the people here are hard working, cool people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately this experience (one that I have not ever experienced at any other job) has been eye opening when it comes to our new CEO (in 5 reviews)

• They are toxic to the work environment, and should find a more suitable career path for their abilities and attitude (in 5 reviews)

"A Dream Job Come True"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with talented interesting people on projects that make the World a better place. I get to wear jeans to work every day and work in a relaxed and engaging atmosphere. I get a comfortable office and pleasant coworkers and I actually get paid to do things that I want to do. I get respect and autonomy without being overworked and every day is a new and exciting challenge. I'm happy.

Cons

In my wanderings around the office, I often encounter people who are doing even more interesting projects that I am, but I can't just drop what I'm doing and join their team. The ever-present supply of fruit, snacks, and beverages in the kitchen is making it difficult for me not to gain weight. I still haven't figured out how to get one of those cool XPRIZE jackets.

Advice to Management

Work on putting more efficient processes, technology and systems in place to make it easier for employees to get everything done more quickly. Need to work on orientation of new hires to make sure they get all the information and connections that they need right away.

"Great people, fast growing company undergoing a lot of positive (even if sometimes difficult) change"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Dedicated staff that is smart, fun, conscientious, and hard-working.
    Leadership team that is activated and focused on making XPRIZE a great place to work.
    Benefits, salary.

Cons

There are those within the organization who, understandably, feel like change cannot happen fast enough. Growing from a small organization focused on a cause, to one that is also concerned with how to support staff, be well-managed, organized, and put in place the systems and processes to support the rapidly growing staff, has been a difficult process for some.

Advice to Management

Continue reaching out to all staff, frequently, honestly, openly. You cannot over communicate! The more the better. Build personal relationships with staff.

"The Majority of Us LOVE XPRIZE!"

Current Employee - Joe Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Joe Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location and office space.
    Flex work schedule with telecommuting options.
    Awesome benefits.
    Generous salary.
    Team Council.
    Peer-to-peer bonus program.
    Stocked kitchen.
    Great mission - we really are trying to change the world, oh...and it's working.

Cons

The small - very small - number of negative and disgruntled employees. They are SMALL but LOUD. They have been provided multiple avenues of communication (both in person and anonymous), but they seem more comfortable posting on a review site. If they really want to see change, they would be more professional and address it head on, rather than choose a cowardly path. And sadly, they what they say isn't even accurate. If they are going to come here and trash this amazing company, at least be honest. Oh wait. That wouldn't work - because there wouldn't be anything negative to say.

If they are so unhappy, really, they should leave. Be part of the solution, or get off the train. The rest of us are excited to move forward, upward, and onward.

Advice to Management

The leadership team is to be commended for constantly placing themselves in the line of fire. As one said in an all staff, "We are building the airplane and flying it at the same time," well...that is TRUE. And it comes with growing pains and is sometimes a slow process. A lot of us are in it for the long haul, and we are very patient.

Somebody said in another post that "no change" has happened. Not true and a blatant lie. Since they first announced the survey, we have been give a flex time policy, a telecommuting policy, a peer-to-peer bonus program, and more. Perhaps they are so busy gossiping and complaining, and conspiring, that they did not notice.

4. "Change is in the air"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

I have rarely had the pleasure of working with such HUMAN colleagues. I am a relatively new employee, but many of us are, however, this doesn't change the fact that I have been met with nothing but help, support, and a willingness to listen that I haven't found elsewhere. Is it busy? Absolutely. Was I thrown immediately into the fire? Basically. Is there any other way than to jump in with two feet? Not in my world.

Cons

Still looking for the real downsides. From what I can see, the challenges here are the same as in many non-profits: restricted access to funds, more work than there are bodies, and politics around who gets access to funding. Sounds like almost every company everywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Creating an inclusive environment and instigating cultural change is difficult. Continue down the path of implementing changes after the engagement survey. RESPOND TO THE GLASSDOOR COMMENTS.

"XPRIZE....The Truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Mission, vision, and impact to change the world is off the charts
    * Extrodinarily smart and diverse people to work with
    * Great benefits programs and policies to support employee engagement and work life balance
    * Amazing office space to work in
    * A great community of people who truly believe we are a family and as such have a tremulous amount of care for each other

Cons

The normal growing pains of a company that is defining itself more and growing into it's full potential. The up side to the cons are that the leadership team is hyper aware and sensitive to the areas we need to get better in and have taken extraordinary steps to address.

Advice to Management

As a current employee of the Foundation and one that is in a position to see a lot of the inter workings of the organization, I am continuously frustrated by the at times absolute inaccuracies I see people post on here about the organization. Is the XPRIZE perfect? No. Have we and will we continue to have growing pains? Yes. But please show me a company that is perfect. The key to building a successful organizational culture is the ability to know thy self and learn from your mistakes. I've worked in some of the biggest known organizations in the world and I can tell you, I've never seen a place like the XPRIZE is, that really wants to continue to evolve and succeed as a best place to work. But alas, on Glassdoor as in the newspapers, happy news doesn't sell. Negativity and lies do. I am proud to be part of an organization that believes in taking the higher road. A road in which we don't feel we need to address hurtful and outright untrue posts. We know who we are and we know we have an amazing organization. So for those who think that by spreading absolute untruths such as was recently posted about our incoming CEO's selection, please know, by posting such things, you are doing nothing but galvanizing our team to come together and support our culture and make it even stronger. So my advice to the management team? Keep up the good fight. For people interested in working for XPRIZE? If you want to be part of a band of innovators who are trying to change the world for the better, get on board because we want you!

"Dynamic and Fascinating Place"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A sense of the possible pervades XPRIZE which is just genuinely refreshing. The staff are bright and committed, and all ideas are taken seriously. The office space itself is open and inviting, and everyone is available to talk no matter their position. I've been around enough to know welcoming environments from closed ones, and trust me, this one is welcoming.

Cons

A lot of change in the last two years has caused some discontentment, but as a result of that change, things are stable and hopeful. The process XPRIZE went through to make change happen was difficult but necessary, and we are now at a place of true excitement.

Advice to Management

Keep being inclusive and keep building a sense of community. It helps, and you are on the right track.

7. "Fantastic place to work at"

Current Employee - Prize Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Prize Developer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Xprize foundation has an incredible team to work with. Overall the mission of the foundation is very inspiring and meaningful.

Cons

None that I have encountered as yet.

"A Meaningful Career"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Working in an environment of passionate individuals who want to make a positive impact on the world.

-Spending time in a workplace that wants to solve grand challenges and see IMPACT which gives a sense of purpose and fulfillment to my career and daily work life.

-I'm fairly early in my career, however I would say the workplace is extremely innovative and open. NOT your conventional office space and culture- which I like! It feels very exciting on a daily basis.

-My personal experiences with colleagues and the culture of XPRIZE is passionate, friendly, and hardworking individuals. Anyone that is a part of the XPRIZE ecosystem is naturally passionate about something they want to see improved in the world, which is uplifting!

-XPRIZE has been transitioning with it's new leadership/CEO, the changes being made are a necessity and crucial to the desired scale and impact we want to see as an organization... certainly we are taking steps in the right direction!

-As we start to scale, we see new and fresh talent! It's nice to get new ideas and talent coming in and people that are passionate about what we do.

-Having access and opportunities to learn of new cutting edge technologies and how they can benefit the world as well as engage with individuals in innovative ecosystems. This is such a useful and interesting learning experience that just becomes a part of your job.

-I personally have really enjoyed the people and experience since I've came on board with XPRIZE.

Cons

-Since we are scaling, the workload is currently on overload as we hire for new talent. (Everything we are doing is amazing! Which is why although a heavy workload can be stressful, people's hearts are in the work they are doing)

-There is a lot of change as we particularly want to focus on the Impact we can have on the world. This is a good thing in my opinion, however, some people are not used to change. Anyone that has been with XPRIZE for many years may not be adapting to so many moving parts and an exponentially changing organization. Again, personally, I thrive in this environment and enjoy seeing us strive to make a difference in the world (not to sound hokey, but I do!).

Advice to Management

-I'd like to explain my ratings! Everything is exceptional, for work life balance, I rated 4 stars as with recent developments within XPRIZE we need new people on board! This is something that I know we are working on.

-More importantly, for culture and values, I rated a 4 as well. This is for a number of reasons. As mentioned, everyone I've had the pleasure of working with at XPRIZE has been exceptionally positive and seems happy in their work and personal life. However, I think some people who may not be as content with their work and personal life are not adapting well to a changing organization. Now that we are held accountable and to a high standard (as we should be!) by our new leadership, some people may be put off by accountability and/or change. My advice to XPRIZE is this... the people of the organization that don't have the same values that XPRIZE stands for will eventually weed themselves out. Keep doing what you are doing!!! We want our staff to be comprised of individuals with the upmost integrity, work ethic, and drive to make a difference in the world. Keep moving forward and striving towards impact!

"Much needed change"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

I've been at Xprize for a few years now and finally I see real changes in the right direction. Everyone is excited about the work we are doing.

The new CEO has the right background to drive us. He doesn't dictate, he coaches and asks for opinion. I've had a lot of leaders throughout my career. The CEO has higher standards much needed for XPRIZE to scale the business.

Cons

There are some individuals who are there for the wrong reasons (egos,etc..) and can't/refuse to embrace the changes and higher pace of things. They are toxic to the work environment, and should find a more suitable career path for their abilities and attitude. The majority of us are enthusiastic about the direction we are headed, and also recognize some people are not cut out for the challenge. In other words, most of us see the challenges as an opportunity and not a threat.

Advice to Management

XPRIZE is a very fruitful environment. Get rid of the rotten apples in the bunch and don't let them discourage you.
    Keep doing what you are doing. The changes and the pivot are exactly what we must do to move forward and be successful.
    Continue to build a strong management team. They are crucial to the core of the organization, and I'm excited to see exceptional talent help us to continue to build our vision!

"Maturing and growing in an exciting field"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

Exposure to world class thinkers, visionary leaders and fascinating concepts and challenges. Huge sense of impacting the world and making a difference. Maturing organization that is self critical, learning and evolving.

Cons

Suffers from mission creep, still learning how to pare down to key strategic initiatives, building the muscle to say no to "new, exciting" projects and to develop organizational discipline. Getting better, but still further to go.

Advice to Management

Empower the new leadership and focus on successfully completing the active X PRIZE competitions and designing and launching new X PRIZE competitions. Do less, stay focussed, do it better.