XPRIZE Reviews | Glassdoor

XPRIZE Reviews

Updated October 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • NOT your conventional office space and culture- which I like (in 7 reviews)

• Most of the people here are hard working, cool people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately this experience (one that I have not ever experienced at any other job) has been eye opening when it comes to our new CEO (in 5 reviews)

• They are toxic to the work environment, and should find a more suitable career path for their abilities and attitude (in 5 reviews)

"A Meaningful Career"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Working in an environment of passionate individuals who want to make a positive impact on the world.

-Spending time in a workplace that wants to solve grand challenges and see IMPACT which gives a sense of purpose and fulfillment to my career and daily work life.

-I'm fairly early in my career, however I would say the workplace is extremely innovative and open. NOT your conventional office space and culture- which I like! It feels very exciting on a daily basis.

-My personal experiences with colleagues and the culture of XPRIZE is passionate, friendly, and hardworking individuals. Anyone that is a part of the XPRIZE ecosystem is naturally passionate about something they want to see improved in the world, which is uplifting!

-XPRIZE has been transitioning with it's new leadership/CEO, the changes being made are a necessity and crucial to the desired scale and impact we want to see as an organization... certainly we are taking steps in the right direction!

-As we start to scale, we see new and fresh talent! It's nice to get new ideas and talent coming in and people that are passionate about what we do.

-Having access and opportunities to learn of new cutting edge technologies and how they can benefit the world as well as engage with individuals in innovative ecosystems. This is such a useful and interesting learning experience that just becomes a part of your job.

-I personally have really enjoyed the people and experience since I've came on board with XPRIZE.

Cons

-Since we are scaling, the workload is currently on overload as we hire for new talent. (Everything we are doing is amazing! Which is why although a heavy workload can be stressful, people's hearts are in the work they are doing)

-There is a lot of change as we particularly want to focus on the Impact we can have on the world. This is a good thing in my opinion, however, some people are not used to change. Anyone that has been with XPRIZE for many years may not be adapting to so many moving parts and an exponentially changing organization. Again, personally, I thrive in this environment and enjoy seeing us strive to make a difference in the world (not to sound hokey, but I do!).

Advice to Management

-I'd like to explain my ratings! Everything is exceptional, for work life balance, I rated 4 stars as with recent developments within XPRIZE we need new people on board! This is something that I know we are working on.

-More importantly, for culture and values, I rated a 4 as well. This is for a number of reasons. As mentioned, everyone I've had the pleasure of working with at XPRIZE has been exceptionally positive and seems happy in their work and personal life. However, I think some people who may not be as content with their work and personal life are not adapting well to a changing organization. Now that we are held accountable and to a high standard (as we should be!) by our new leadership, some people may be put off by accountability and/or change. My advice to XPRIZE is this... the people of the organization that don't have the same values that XPRIZE stands for will eventually weed themselves out. Keep doing what you are doing!!! We want our staff to be comprised of individuals with the upmost integrity, work ethic, and drive to make a difference in the world. Keep moving forward and striving towards impact!

"Much needed change"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

I've been at Xprize for a few years now and finally I see real changes in the right direction. Everyone is excited about the work we are doing.

The new CEO has the right background to drive us. He doesn't dictate, he coaches and asks for opinion. I've had a lot of leaders throughout my career. The CEO has higher standards much needed for XPRIZE to scale the business.

Cons

There are some individuals who are there for the wrong reasons (egos,etc..) and can't/refuse to embrace the changes and higher pace of things. They are toxic to the work environment, and should find a more suitable career path for their abilities and attitude. The majority of us are enthusiastic about the direction we are headed, and also recognize some people are not cut out for the challenge. In other words, most of us see the challenges as an opportunity and not a threat.

Advice to Management

XPRIZE is a very fruitful environment. Get rid of the rotten apples in the bunch and don't let them discourage you.
    Keep doing what you are doing. The changes and the pivot are exactly what we must do to move forward and be successful.
    Continue to build a strong management team. They are crucial to the core of the organization, and I'm excited to see exceptional talent help us to continue to build our vision!

"New Direction, New Opportunities"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Most employees chose to work at XPRIZE because it is an organization that is focused on creating global impact, and I believe that the new leadership is committed to this mission, and that the new structure will allow us to be agile and effective in taking on even greater challenges.

With change comes opportunity, and it is now a great time for current staff to start moving up and/or into other areas of interest, as well as for new employees to come in and help the organization grow while at the same time feel personally fulfilled.

Cons

There are still a very few people that have a negative attitude, and hopefully they will realize they have been given an opportunity to become a positive influence on others, or realize that XPRIZE is not a fit, and choose to gracefully move on.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide coaching and feedback to the staff in a constructive and positive manner meant to help make us all become better at our jobs, and to improve the organization as a whole.

"Do not be fooled by the recent positive feedback..."

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

I truly believe in the mission of XPRIZE. When I first started working here I really did feel like i was a part of something bigger, changing the world for the better.

Cons

Do not be fooled by the overly obvious cheery and positive posts about the current state of the organization as well as the over indulgent "fluffing" of our current CEO. Previous posts attempt to paint a picture of a happy carefree office and states that there are “bad apples” spoiling the lot. That unfortunately, is completely false. There is however, a very tight knit group of dedicated and hard working employees who exchange ideas and discuss how to effectively drive change in an attempt to make things better. It's NOT gossiping or commiserating as implied in previous posts here on glassdoor. It’s actually an attempt at finding a solution that doesn't involve employees having to quit in order to have strong, trustworthy leadership and a fair and inspiring work atmosphere.

To assume that employees are adverse to change during a time of transition in leadership is an absolute cop out. Employees crave strong, fair and inspiring leaders, however they become keenly aware when they are getting lip service, so is the case currently at XPRIZE.

As far as the current CEO at XPRIZE, he continues to show a complete disregard and clear lack of respect when it comes to the opinions and insights of employees who have valuable institutional knowledge. He claims that he has an open door policy however he has a “My way or the highway” leadership style which has been a major contributor to the fractured culture of the office.

He invites input and constructive criticism by way of an anonymous CEO survey but when it comes time to address the results of the survey publicly he makes excuses and doesn’t disclose the results. His reputation is self-serving and he openly deceives out of a misplaced aversion to conflict. In a nutshell he leads you to believe that your input is valuable then he completely contradicts himself with his actions.

It’s important to realize that just because someone holds a position of leadership, it doesn’t necessarily mean they should. Not all leaders are created equal.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You have great people in place who believe in the mission and who are capable of exceeding your expectations if you only allow them to do so. Your inability to empower people to do the job they were hired to do suggests you would prefer people to leave so that you can re-staff, which only amplifies your inability to lead such an important organization.

5. "Fantastic place to work at"

Current Employee - Prize Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Prize Developer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Xprize foundation has an incredible team to work with. Overall the mission of the foundation is very inspiring and meaningful.

Cons

None that I have encountered as yet.

"Yes and No"

Pros

Inspiring. Exciting. Surrounded by crazy smart people.

Cons

Upper management isn't fair. Lots of gossip. Low morale.

"Dynamic and Fascinating Place"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A sense of the possible pervades XPRIZE which is just genuinely refreshing. The staff are bright and committed, and all ideas are taken seriously. The office space itself is open and inviting, and everyone is available to talk no matter their position. I've been around enough to know welcoming environments from closed ones, and trust me, this one is welcoming.

Cons

A lot of change in the last two years has caused some discontentment, but as a result of that change, things are stable and hopeful. The process XPRIZE went through to make change happen was difficult but necessary, and we are now at a place of true excitement.

Advice to Management

Keep being inclusive and keep building a sense of community. It helps, and you are on the right track.

"New CEO is Encouraging..."

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. The company pretty much has a 4 day work week with the 5 day being deemed "work from home". Most people take Friday or Monday so they can have a 3 day weekend every week. Yes, we are all 'working' on that day (wink).

Cons

Well, I've been here awhile and I've seen and heard a lot of things - some negative and some positive. I really think there is a good group of people here that have just been beat down by years of bad management. Listen to the staff and you will quickly find out that they just simply crave a fair, honest place to work where they can make or break their careers on their own merit and it isn't being sacrificed and carved up by hidden agenda's and politics. I do like our new CEO, I think he is a good guy with strong ethics but with a lot to tackle. He walks the halls and you can feel the optimism...that is rare around here. There is a saying that you have to "beat the grass to startle the snakes"...Hopefully he is beating the grass. I will say that I am relieved that their have been some shifts in management positions and hopefully their are more to come. Like a bad haircut, sometimes you can't fix it...you have to just cut it all off...and start all over from scratch! :)

Advice to Management

Our foundation needs a new haircut at the management level...we've had a trim...but we need a new hairdo altogether.

"XPRIZE....The Truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Mission, vision, and impact to change the world is off the charts
    * Extrodinarily smart and diverse people to work with
    * Great benefits programs and policies to support employee engagement and work life balance
    * Amazing office space to work in
    * A great community of people who truly believe we are a family and as such have a tremulous amount of care for each other

Cons

The normal growing pains of a company that is defining itself more and growing into it's full potential. The up side to the cons are that the leadership team is hyper aware and sensitive to the areas we need to get better in and have taken extraordinary steps to address.

Advice to Management

As a current employee of the Foundation and one that is in a position to see a lot of the inter workings of the organization, I am continuously frustrated by the at times absolute inaccuracies I see people post on here about the organization. Is the XPRIZE perfect? No. Have we and will we continue to have growing pains? Yes. But please show me a company that is perfect. The key to building a successful organizational culture is the ability to know thy self and learn from your mistakes. I've worked in some of the biggest known organizations in the world and I can tell you, I've never seen a place like the XPRIZE is, that really wants to continue to evolve and succeed as a best place to work. But alas, on Glassdoor as in the newspapers, happy news doesn't sell. Negativity and lies do. I am proud to be part of an organization that believes in taking the higher road. A road in which we don't feel we need to address hurtful and outright untrue posts. We know who we are and we know we have an amazing organization. So for those who think that by spreading absolute untruths such as was recently posted about our incoming CEO's selection, please know, by posting such things, you are doing nothing but galvanizing our team to come together and support our culture and make it even stronger. So my advice to the management team? Keep up the good fight. For people interested in working for XPRIZE? If you want to be part of a band of innovators who are trying to change the world for the better, get on board because we want you!

"Not what I thought it would be."

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Great idea but poor execution.
    Nice benefits package (Dental, Medical, Vacation). Work from home.

Cons

Red tape, egos, mistreatment of subordinates, lack of promotion. Still trying to figure how some prizes benefit humanity. Overworked under paid.