XPRIZE Reviews | Glassdoor

XPRIZE Reviews

Updated May 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

"XPRIZE is ready to implode"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So many people that believe in this company and what we really are trying to accomplish. Every employee has the potential to change the world, and we ARE READY.

Cons

Its not just a handful of disgruntled employees that are unhappy, it is actually the majority (did you not see the results of the employee survey?) There is no trust, no fundamental changes after 6 months after the dismal employee engagement survey and no action from the board after all this time. So much money spent on consultants to change this company around, endless employee meetings that go nowhere, and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. We have no management. CEO - never in the office, doesn't run the company. President - May show up when finished with all personal issues he is dealing with. COO - Head not in the game and no strength in his ability to enforce what is right. The rest, powerless to make a difference and resigned. XPRIZE needs help now, any change can't come fast enough. In the meantime, the majority of the employees that want to make a difference in this world struggle daily to stay or go. The positive posts recently are just an example of the manipulation that exists in this company, there is no trust, no positive changes, we need action to turn this company around. The employees are screaming for it, and the donors and sponsors deserve it.

Advice to Management

Do something now! You have had 6 months to digest and fix what is wrong with this company. Fundamentally, nothing has changed, and you are still where you are when we took this survey, please do something, the employees have been begging for change, and don't wait until your sponsors and donors start begging too.

"Don"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work and subject matter no matter what department you're in.

Cons

They came across so great in the interview a couple of years ago. Positive, friendly, passionate. But the culture here is absolute poison. It's a blame culture where people get ahead by pointing the finger at others. There are many talented and great people at this company, unfortunately they are outnumbered by those who promote a hostile work environment. The communication style here is rude, aggressive and completely unprofessional. In addition they've been having a ton of all staff meetings, employee surveys and etc. but no changes are coming out of them. They go through a similar process every few years or so and continuously drop the ball instead of making improvements. Also hope you weren't looking for a future or career path, promotions and raises are far and few between and will likely be given to people playing politics instead of top performers.

Advice to Management

Completely re-vamp upper management in both extensive training and also dropping and replacing dead weight and negative individuals. Provide training to mid-level managers as well. Start really implementing all the changes talked about from the various teamwork meetings and all staffs. The culture here is broken and it needs to be addressed WAY faster than you're currently moving. People have almost lost all hope, and you're losing tons of employees due to this. I'm sick of seeing good people leave after being treated awfully.

"It is all about the TRUST, about the TRUST, about the TRUST!!!"

Current Employee - Associate in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly? New trash bins, clocks and utensils. Way to boost productivity!

Cons

It is true that Employee Engagement survey scores came very low. Especially a lots of comments around the TRUST- TRUST of HR department. HR betrayed the trust of employees.
    In fact it got worse after Employee Engagement survey. HR started identifying and targeting those employees who gave negative comments.
    Also, people who actively questioned the ability of senior management at All Staff meeting, were left off during Shaping our Future interviews. Yeah, that is what you get for messing with us.

HR got themselves fat bonuses and raises in hopes that nobody finds out. Way to go to build the TRUST.Kudos!
    They do anything to stray attention away from building the trust. Here we got you new utensils in the kitchen, here are new trash bins, clocks on the walls.. oh wow.

HR needs to be impartial. They take everything personally.HR lacks so much needed Emotional Intelligence… among other things.

The staff constantly suffers from mishandling of sensitive subjects in all areas of business, outward disdain towards staff members, breaching of confidentiality by gossiping about sensitive staff issues.
    HR is often times antisocial and moody.

They are creating hostile work environment. It is ineffective and counterproductive.

I worked in pretty bad places,but this is by far worst place. I feel threatened, I feel like I am about to blow out. Somebody needs too speak up!

Advice to Management

Have mercy on our souls and replace the whole HR department.TRUST me, we had it enough!

"I miss many of the people, but none of the dysfunction."

Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Culver City, CA

Pros

Some talented, inspiring and hard working folks can be found here. People you wish you could spend more time with. People who get your intellectual jokes and snarks because they're smart. People you learn from. People who care about making a difference in the world.
    The people you meet, particularly the Teams, are all amazing people.
    Decent benefits package and perks, good salaries.

Cons

To survive here and not be part of the massive turnover (just see how many people list this on linkedin) you need to find a way to keep your head down and minimize your interactions with senior management and marketing. Toeing the line is rewarded. To avoid being extremely frustrated by the double standards, questionable use of performance review tactics, unethical behavior by the leadership, tortuously slow marcom execution with huge budgets and the fact that many senior management don't actually have appropriate expertise or experience....just go into this knowing that these things are the norm. I know its tempting to think that you might be able to change it, because, holy moly, this organization could be incredible if a few people were removed and a few things changed....but that will lead to tears.

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside organization to do an independent workplace audit of the company. And when it tells you that there are management problems and provides recommendations, listen.

"Oh Come, Oh Come my Guardian Angel!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, don't see any perks.

Cons

I don't even know where to start? Before coming to work for X Prize I heard a lot of great things about the company. This perception started quickly fading day after the day, since I started witnessing more and more anomalies and corruption. But, hey, wait we have HR to solve most of these issues, which sounds so assuring when you talk to them. In reality HR does not car!!!
    Many employees, including me heard HR saying(thinking out loud):"IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT HERE,THEY SHOULD GO FIND ANOTHER JOB". What a horrible unethical thing to say.

In my opinion it is simply fascism. People complain because first of all HR does not do anything to improve their condition. Hmmm...., maybe they don't know how to?

HR also asks employees to write positive reviews on glassdoor. Oh my God! How far and low they can go? Did I say UNPROFESSIONAL?

Add UNETHICAL to that!

Advice to Management

Resign immediately if you care about well being of employees.

"Cult of personalities hampers smart, dedicated personnel"

Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

This organization is full of bright, professional, hard-working people who are genuinely excited about their work, their mission, and the difference that XPRIZE can make. The subject matter we work with is varied and interesting, so there are many things to learn while working here. Some of the current competitions truly are inspiring in their far-reaching goal to benefit humanity.

Cons

THE BAD: Many of the bright, hard-working souls here are shackled by cumbersome, complex, bureaucratic processes that limit their efforts to move forward with truly meaningful initiatives. Or they’re forced to go on mercenary wild goose chases with half-baked ideas that fall short of XPRIZE’s lofty mission but guarantee funding by certain sponsors, whether or not it’s a natural fit. The organization generates some fascinating concepts and competitions, but a slow, stubborn Marketing Department, for example, impairs the vast potential of the projects they oversee.

THE REALLY BAD: Leadership. It is an iron throne of personality, formed around brilliant, charismatic, but managerially crippled leaders and their lieutenants. Collectively, they’re prone to knee-jerk decisions and combative office relations that destroy rather than build a sense of teamwork and encouragement to continue the long work hours. Ruling by intimidation, fear, and the occasional tantrum creates an environment that rewards criticism of others to shield ones’ self from harsh reprimands.

Advice to Management

Hire inspired, smart people (doing a decent job there), and then get out of their way (extremely poor job there). No matter how good the personnel is, bad management apples can ruin the sense of a collegial environment. The underlying culture of micromanagement, distrust, and intimidation comes from the top. Until that changes radically, this organization will continue to disappoint those seeking a fulfilling, professional workplace, and XPRIZE may sadly continue to struggle with its public identity as a result.

"Exciting concept, questionable execution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Great people, exposure to stimulating ideas and experiences, relaxed work environment. Most people seem very engaged and committed to their work. The organization is attempting to take on massive global issues and isnot afraid to "think big" or "outside the box"

Cons

Difficult and slow to execute on everything. Even the simplest tasks and processes require massive amounts of red tape. Leadership is split between two very different management philosophies which rarely coincide and create problems for trying to execute on objectives.

"Don't waste your life working her"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. This is a horrible place to work.

Cons

So many....this company is run by a bunch of amateurs with huge egos.

Advice to Management

Leave! You have no management skills.

"A Dream Job Come True"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with talented interesting people on projects that make the World a better place. I get to wear jeans to work every day and work in a relaxed and engaging atmosphere. I get a comfortable office and pleasant coworkers and I actually get paid to do things that I want to do. I get respect and autonomy without being overworked and every day is a new and exciting challenge. I'm happy.

Cons

In my wanderings around the office, I often encounter people who are doing even more interesting projects that I am, but I can't just drop what I'm doing and join their team. The ever-present supply of fruit, snacks, and beverages in the kitchen is making it difficult for me not to gain weight. I still haven't figured out how to get one of those cool XPRIZE jackets.

Advice to Management

Work on putting more efficient processes, technology and systems in place to make it easier for employees to get everything done more quickly. Need to work on orientation of new hires to make sure they get all the information and connections that they need right away.

"Making the Possible, Impossible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

- In its rawest concept, the X PRIZE Foundation is a great idea: think up some seemingly impossible task, and dangle a large cash prize to lure the best and the brightest to complete it.

- There are numerous employees who are brilliant, kind people.

Cons

- In actuality, the creativity is lacking. The prize ideas that get funded are completely within the realm of possibility currently, and are frequently things that have already been done.

- The brilliant, kind people get fired at Christmas time after devoting years of service.

- The approval process is dismal, and entirely too time consuming. Frequently, the people you need to approve things are not in the office (Senior management takes numerous vacations and unnecessary travel).

- Senior management and consultants are overpaid, and normally only in the office a maximum of 4 days a week.

- After securing a multi-million dollar donation for operations, two key workers were fired for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

- Streamline the approval process.

- Eliminate the ADP time tracking system - it's a colossal waste of time.

- Don't fire people around the holidays; it's bad for morale.

- When you do fire people, at least pretend to be remorseful.

- Listen to your employees; we can make this place run smoother. Also, as others have said, let people do their jobs.

- CEO needs to think bigger.