XS Reviews | Glassdoor

XS Reviews

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fulton Breen

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at XS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heavy emphasis on culture and core values (Work Hard, Dream Big, Play Fair, Stay Sharp, Have Fun, Speak Out); the company spends significant time and money reinvesting in their employees career development; there are times when extra work is required, but company is very conscious of work/life balance; most thorough employee review process I've been exposed to; focus on employee satisfaction; lots of time spent on the interview process to hire top quality resources

Cons

Not much room for growth up the ladder if you are seeking leadership opportunities (due to company size and established leadership)

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees happy and help them grow in order to retain as many of them as possible!

2. "Great employees; fun place to work"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at XS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unusual amount of time and expense invested in personal development and team building.

Cons

Hard to see a clear career path in such a small company (~80+ employees )

Advice to Management

Keep the course!

"By far the best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at XS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at XSinc for over 7 years. I definitely recommend the company. They value their employees, and work hard to develop everyone to their potential. Most advancement is merit based, and not based on tenure. They spend a lot of effort to maintain a fun culture, and I trust and respect my peers here.

Benefits include 401K matching and 2 year's salary of life insurance which is great.

Cons

Raw salary isn't the most competitive in the area, but when you spend 9 hours a day at work, having a place you like to come to more than compensates.

"Best company I've had the pleasure of working for"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at XS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Unique, relaxed, and fun culture.
    - Friendly coworkers.
    - Fully embraces new technology.
    - Well balanced structure for a small company -- you know what is expected of you at all times and there are enough standards to stay efficient but not too many that you get bogged down in red tape.
    - Agile development principals are applied not only in software development but also other aspects of the work life.
    - Very open communication lines for employees to all levels of management.
    - Extremely bright staff; everybody who works here is top notch.
    - Employees are encouraged to "speak out" and challenge the status quo if they think there is a better way.
    - The personal development and employee review process is not just checking off a list -- everybody seems to buy in to it and it really helps everybody get better at what they do and grow as a person.

Cons

- Career advancement opportunities are limited compared to a larger corporation (trade off of working for a small company with a lot of type A personalities). However, if you stick it out for a few years, opportunities will most certainly present themselves.
    - Tight budgets

Advice to Management

Keep the communication lines open (important!) and doing a great job steering the ship.

"My experience was gratifying, taught me much and helped me grow professionally"

Current Employee - I T Developer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - I T Developer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at XS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is the primary focus of the company and where you get positioned for productivity and growth.
    Technically, they are very progressive and interested in providing growth both physically in the technologies their platforms are built upon, through hardware and software, but also in how they allow and support individuals to have professional growth through certification and mentoring.
    The company is very focused on its people and takes time to help them.
    The companies values are so truly ethical and I believe the Principals care about their employees.
    The compensation at the time I started contracting to hire was competitive...

Cons

Assets that an individual can demonstrate through intellect, growth and attitude are often overshadowed by the perceptions of others who decide "cultural fit" in the seniority or upper echelon of management.
    They don't really recognize a persons assets if they have any weaknesses or a "largely perceived" one.
    People who have the ability to move from team to team and can learn and do many things well over time on the fly are not valued as high as a static individual who can do only a few things very well.
    I was told there were not yearly increases when I started, but after a year or so I heard they do offer them.

Advice to Management

I think the framework for which you measure individuals through the review process, "Round Table Meetings" and documented goals that correspond to their Lominger competencies should rate higher on decision making processes then "hear-say" of others in seniority who help drive "cultural fit". In other words... if you rate a person poorly and grade them low on a communication competency for example...Wouldn't you think they should at least have gone "Red" on their review in the goal that corresponds to fixing communication?
    Instead develop a framework which completely outlines an individual in progress and growth otherwise the spirit and purpose of the Lominger competencies is lost when "hear-say" comes into the picture as being more of a motivating factor than actual documented changes.

"Developer"

I worked at XS full-time

Pros

Culture, friendly employees, intentional hiring for skill and social fit. Great upper management.

Cons

Typical small company cons: few career growth opportunities, occasion, employee drama but with awesome co-workers so it balances out.

"Good"

Pros

Culture. Sincere managment and flexible schedules. Constantly looking to improve work life for employees. Annual reviews very in depth for improvement in careers

Cons

Really not a ton. Pay is probably slightly below market average and there is not mich room to grow in terms of your position. But its a smaller compny so that can be expected

Advice to Management

Keep what youre doing. Strong mgmt team in place that runs the machine. Continue with company strengths of knowing industry and profitable software dev.

"XS Inc"

Pros

XS is a great place to work. I didn't meet a single person at the company that wasn't afraid to put in the long hours, but the unique culture at XS allowed everyone to have fun at the same time.

There is a lot of opportunity for a motivated person to grow at XS. There will always be new projects and volunteering for those projects is a great way to prove that you can be a valuable asset to your team.

Cons

Not a ton of room for upward movement, but the nature of the company allows you to grow your own brand and explore many different facts of a unique industry.

"Amazing Culture From The Top Down"

I worked at XS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Most talented co-workers I have ever worked with
    *No BS Open Door policy with Top Mgmt - they really ARE always available and do care about your personal and professional growth all at the same time
    *Fun/lively atmosphere with lots of non-salary benefits

Cons

Sorry, really struggling to come up with one