XTRA Lease Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2020

3.5
XTRA Lease President and CEO Bill Franz (no image)
Bill Franz
Pros
  • "Berkshire Hathaway company - resources of a large company with the relationships found in small business ((in 15 reviews)

• "Benefits, work/life balance, promotion structure(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible pay at branch level to save money to pay the region team and upper management which does not do anything I have to reiterate(in 10 reviews)

• "No one in operations can be promoted past an operations manager(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Building Managers"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been w/ Xtra Lease for about 8 months now. Quite a few pros, including work life balance, decent compensation plan, salary + car allowance + commissions + annual bonus. Xtra hires to build managers, the assistant positions, whether in sales or operations, are in place to prepare you to, one day, run a branch of your own and you have to be willing to relocate. It's not for everyone, but can be a great opportunity for the right person.

Cons

Some micro managing as an assistant, but given the responsibilities that come with running my own branch some day, it makes sense. Salary is slightly lower than current comparable sales jobs in the market, but once again, you take a position at Xtra Lease, not for what it means today, but for the opportunity that comes with a promotion.

XTRA Lease Response

May 14, 2020Director of HR

Thank you for your review - we appreciate your thoughts. It sounds like we are a good fit for what's important to you and your career goals - long term success, upward mobility, and gaining good general management skills along the way. I wish you the best in your career with XTRA!

"Best career move"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers, pay, yearly bonus, commission, branch locations, vacation/ paid time off. New trailers purchased each year to stay ahead of competition.

Cons

Some long hours but no matter where you are in sales you are expected to be by your phone/email.

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Clayton, MO

I worked at XTRA Lease full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In the home office you can stay for decades. It is like a government job. The new heads of the company are vibrant and smart. Lots of innovation.

Cons

When I left there were still vestiges of task master management. They were being fazed out though so I can't speak to if they are sill relevant.

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will be treated like a person, not just a number. Work/life balance is optimal, no weekends and branches are only open from 7am to 6pm on weekdays. The culture and people are great, the company truly invests in each individual, and there are significant opportunities for promotion.

Cons

I really wish I had some constructive criticism to share, but my 6 months here have been nothing short of fantastic.

Continue reading
  5. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, promotion structure

Cons

promotions can take time, waiting opportunities open up

"Glad I left!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at XTRA Lease full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quality equipment, good bonus if you get it. Steady paycheck. Good benefits.

Cons

Bureaucratic nightmare. Xtras way or the highway. Low base salary. Too much micromanaging. Area managers have nothing better to do than constantly visit the branches and look for issues that they can run back and tell the VP. Give your sales guys an expense account so they can take their customers to lunch, etc. I've NEVER worked for a company that had to get prior authorization to take a client to lunch.

Continue reading

"Good place to start, but be careful with management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant

I worked at XTRA Lease full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot of valuable skills in the transportation industy.

Cons

Management will fire you if you don't relocate where they want you to. They lock you in to 2 year contracts and send you to branches in the middle of nowhere Management doesn't care about employees. If you aren't in sales, your work will not be valued.

"Assistant Branch Manager"

1.0

I worked at XTRA Lease

Pros

The only pro is that I will not have to work for this company again.

Cons

The pay is horrendous with regards to the amount of work you do. Region Management are completely unprofessional at times. It is highly political when it comes to promotions. Each branch is understaffed. The list goes on.

"Fair Honest Work"

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good work/life balance -Fair compensation -Benefits are fair -Work isn't overly difficult -Really good product and the company is evolving with technology

Cons

-Minimal opportunity to advance -To advance, you'll have to move wherever they tell you to. -Not the most diverse company

"Results are rewarded"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at XTRA Lease full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company so far. They’re an industry leader and a technology leader and if you can sell value and get customers bought into the technology and superior specs, you will be very successful. At the sales level you will have a lot of freedom and need to be self motivated, disciplined, and resourceful. XTRA is run very lean, and though support is always available at the regional and corporate level, you will need to learn how to use the resources available to you.

Cons

Straight line pay model instead of offering compensation based off of the market your branch resides in. Some markets are more expensive than others and demand a higher salary in order to attract and retain the type of talent required to provide the level of service our customers expect.

Found 144 reviews