KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

XTRA Lease

Engaged Employer

XTRA Lease

Add a Review

XTRA Lease Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 28, 2020

Found 14 of over 166 reviews

3.3
XTRA Lease President and CEO Bill Franz (no image)
Bill Franz
Pros
  • "Berkshire Hathaway Company, endless resources to help you accomplish your goals(in 16 reviews)

• "Benefits, work/life balance, promotion structure(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Terrible pay at branch level to save money to pay the region team and upper management which does not do anything I have to reiterate(in 10 reviews)

• "No one in operations can be promoted past an operations manager(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great Company

Feb 28, 2020 - Operations Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will be treated like a person, not just a number. Work/life balance is optimal, no weekends and branches are only open from 7am to 6pm on weekdays. The culture and people are great, the company truly invests in each individual, and there are significant opportunities for promotion.

Cons

I really wish I had some constructive criticism to share, but my 6 months here have been nothing short of fantastic.

2. 4.0

Building Managers

Feb 24, 2020 - Assistant Branch Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been w/ Xtra Lease for about 8 months now. Quite a few pros, including work life balance, decent compensation plan, salary + car allowance + commissions + annual bonus. Xtra hires to build managers, the assistant positions, whether in sales or operations, are in place to prepare you to, one day, run a branch of your own and you have to be willing to relocate. It's not for everyone, but can be a great opportunity for the right person.

Cons

Some micro managing as an assistant, but given the responsibilities that come with running my own branch some day, it makes sense. Salary is slightly lower than current comparable sales jobs in the market, but once again, you take a position at Xtra Lease, not for what it means today, but for the opportunity that comes with a promotion.

XTRA Lease Response

Director of HR

Thank you for your review - we appreciate your thoughts. It sounds like we are a good fit for what's important to you and your career goals - long term success, upward mobility, and gaining good general management skills along the way. I wish you the best in your career with XTRA!

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Operations Manager Trainee- Fontana

Sep 1, 2019 - Operations Manager Trainee in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, supportive HR staff, 401k, PTO, work/life balance, positive people, autonomy, travel. Regional management team was great and always supportive in my growth as a professional. Despite the low salary, Xtra gave me the experience and training I needed to advance in my career. You are constantly learning new skills which translates well to other jobs. They support and stand by their employees when you need time off for medical/family reasons. 10 days of PTO, 10 sick days, 2 personal days.

Cons

Very low base salary. Extremely slow to promote (2-3 years for a promotion to Operations/Sales Manager). It’s not the most glamorous position, however, you will learn and it will help you get a better job.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Great Company to work for

Feb 25, 2020 - Operations Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, promotion structure

Cons

promotions can take time, waiting opportunities open up

5. 4.0

Fair Honest Work

Nov 14, 2019 - Operations Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Good work/life balance -Fair compensation -Benefits are fair -Work isn't overly difficult -Really good product and the company is evolving with technology

Cons

-Minimal opportunity to advance -To advance, you'll have to move wherever they tell you to. -Not the most diverse company

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't waste your time

Dec 17, 2018 - Operations Management Trainee in Fontana, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is great as you will be doing 40hrs/week, no weekends. You'll get lots of decision-making power fairly early on. Co-workers were great for the most part. The benefits aren't amazing but still very good.

Cons

Why bother? The Xtra Lease trainee program is severely lacking compared to other trainee positions within the industry: Penske, Ryder, ArcBest, etc all offer similar or better pay with actual, structured training programs and as far as I can tell, Xtra Lease is the only one that fires you if you hesitate to relocate across the US for promotion. More importantly, however, as Operations you'll have a 3-5 year life span with the company. Why bother? Why not just start with a company that you can actually make a career with? The compensation is not that competitive and heavily relies on the annual bonus. You'd be much better off seeking employment with a company that actually gives you room to grow and compensates you fairly for it.

5 people found this review helpful

XTRA Lease Response

Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your experience with XTRA. Sounds like it wasn't the right fit for you. We do have a promote-and-relo approach, which works well for us and many of our employees. Many new hires develop operational and branch management skills to earn promotions within XTRA; others work with us for a few years and gain very good experience which serve them well in their careers outside of XTRA, and we're happy to help them develop. Good luck in your future endeavors!

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

This Company Doesn’t Want to Win

Jul 31, 2019 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Independence, flexible scheduling, work-life balance, good comp (when you can sell)

Cons

Rigid, top-down management structure, lack of competitive drive, lack of effective business strategy or understanding of individual markets.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Operations assistant

Jun 18, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

So far the company has treated me quite well. After 90 days I received 2 weeks paid vacation, 5 sick days and 5 personal days along with a free health plan. They even give you $1000 a year to put into an HSA. The work life balance is great. I work 9am-6pm M-F. Fellow employees are almost family. The training consists of being under a current operations manager and learning as you go on the job. Regional management is a great resource if you need help. All the negative interviews on here are because of old employees that weren't following policy. The company over the past two years has recognized that things needed to change with branches that were not doing things not to company policy. If you work hard,follow policy, and are honest with management you can a very long and successful career here. I

Cons

Relocation.If you aren't open to relocation. Don't waste your time. They are very upfront about this in the interview.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great big small company

Jan 10, 2018 - Software Architect in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

For a large market company its has a smaller staff count than I would have thought and has a smaller shop feel to it. Most of the people there have been there 10,20,30+ years and its just not something you really see anymore. Work-life balance is amazing. Being in IT I cant remember the last time I got off on a regular 9-5 schedule and didn't have to work weekends. There is some older IT infrastructure to be replaced and unlike many companies they realize this and are on board with new ideas and solutions and want to innovate to deliver a better working environment for employees as well as a better experience for their customers. There are some fears of change from some of the employees because many of the them have been there since before everything was computerized but once you demonstrate the value they get on board pretty fast. Culturally this company seems more interested in doing the right thing than profiting and that really impressed me. I can see why they retain their staff for the length they do just based on that alone. They don't cut corners and don't look for loopholes they want all parties to be satisfied in all deals from what I have seen.

Cons

For me the only con is the commute. I was used to working remote so it took some adjusting to rush hour traffic.

10. 4.0

Operations Manager

Apr 27, 2017 - Operations Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent starting pay. Dependent on the area you start off as when you are an operations assistant. Hands on training with tenured staff that will show you what to look for. Bonus-able after becoming management with the company. Excellent benefits (Berkshire-Hathaway Company). Great work life balance (no weekends)

Cons

Micro management comes from top down. Sales staff constantly telling operations how to do their jobs. All senior management comes from sales side. No one in operations can be promoted past an operations manager. Responsibilities for position do not directly correlate with the pay.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews