Xanterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Xanterra Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew N Todd

Pros
  • Literally get to know the national park so well and hang out/work/party with people from all over the world (in 59 reviews)

• Opportunity to work at organization with opportunities in some of the most beautiful places on earth (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • bad working conditions with very low pay (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours in management, no compensation for working the extra hours or going the extra mile (in 10 reviews)

1. "Interesting company, needs updating and refreshed management"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

National Parks, Adventure Travel, and Luxury Cruises are an interesting mix of products. Management is focused and always profitable. Low stress work environment.

Cons

Archaic - lack of process updates, needs to join the 21st century. Lousy vacation policy. The people in management will never leave, tough to get new ideas accepted. Low probability of career progression.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box. Hire younger generation and be open to change. Look at processes and see where improvements can be made, there are lots of opportunities.

2. "Employee dining room server"

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Cook in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Cook in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to live in and see Yellowstone National Park for the summer.
    Room and Board was 15 dollars a day and taken directly out of my check.

Cons

They weren't very organized. My check was never direct deposit even though I filled out the proper paperwork

3. "Variety"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the national park system is incredible.

Cons

The management started going downhill

5. "Awesome places, Corporate garbage"

Former Contractor - Server/Waiter SNOWLODGE in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Contractor - Server/Waiter SNOWLODGE in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to live next to Old Faithful geyser and make friends from all around the world. Made money and memories.

Cons

You are truly just a number to the company, everyone is replaceable, which shows in the high management turn over. Just not a great company.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and maybe they will work there longer

"Xanterra is a good spring board to a better job"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Living, working, and playing in a national park doesn't get much closer to paradise. I have met some of the most beautiful people in my life working for this company and gained confidence that I really can go anywhere and do anything. The resume experience was invaluable.

Cons

I really wish that I could work for this company in paradise for the rest of my life. This company is so concerned with squeezing every red cent out of their guests (external and internal: employees) that they turn away many, many bright and talented individuals.

Advice to Management

Work much harder to retail your managers and you would see a trickle-down effect of retention of line employees.

7. "Good experience. Motley crew of co-workers"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Denali Park, AK
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Denali Park, AK

I worked at Xanterra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was high volume restaurant due to the cruises that traveled by and high ticket prices for fine dining food fresh from the sea

Cons

It lacked cohesiveness between back of house and front of house. Preferred shifts were given based on popularity rather than competency

Advice to Management

Give better incentives for better employees. Improve employee housing conditions

"The parks are awesome. The employees are terrible."

Former Employee - Assistant Guest Services Manager in Babb, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Guest Services Manager in Babb, MT

I worked at Xanterra (Less than a year)

Pros

Play where you work. Hiking, boat rides, wild animals, all the things a national park has to offer. Free room and board for managers.

Cons

Most of the employees are not interested in working. They come to hike, drink and screw. As a result, prepare yourself to work with college-aged children who know nothing of the world, and care even less about the job. There is little to no communication between departments. The good workers will leave early, once they realize that upper management has no interest in discipline or good work ethic. Don't be surprised if you see an employee pocket cash in broad daylight; they know they can get away with it. No benefits, and no end-of-season bonus.

Advice to Management

See cons.

9. "xanterra"

Current Employee - Assistant Dining Room Manager in Mammoth Hot Springs, WY
    Current Employee - Assistant Dining Room Manager in Mammoth Hot Springs, WY

I have been working at Xanterra (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting awesome people from around the world and seeing some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Cons

Long hours in management, no compensation for working the extra hours or going the extra mile.

10. "Big corporation- Have little expectations"

Former Employee - Trail Guide/Wrangler in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Former Employee - Trail Guide/Wrangler in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Xanterra South Rim (boo Jellystone), we have a VERY diverse butt load of people working and visiting here. It's a great company to work for seasonally, and in some of the most beautiful places. You usually get to really bond with your group of people that you work with - a good sense of comradery. Not much more pros unfortunately although thanks to Obama minimum wage for concessions in the park is now just over $10!

Cons

Very little potential for advancement, unless you want to work there four years and years. The company is way too lenient in letting people get hired who should have never been hired, aka criminal background. If you have a drug addiction, although they do random testing, this is probably the place to get away with it... Favoritism and all. Don't even get me started on the second world of Phantom ranch. Have an issue? Good luck having any justice or problems resolved.

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to the managers on salary. They get away with doing nothing and going home and napping when they should be working! And actually solve problems instead of avoiding and forgetting about them. Fit a company that has SO much money, we definitely don't see any of it on an employee level.

11. "Hostess"

Current Employee - Hostess in Zion National Park, UT
    Current Employee - Hostess in Zion National Park, UT

I have been working at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Don't have to learn too much to get the hang of the job. You have pretty flexible hours and have time to do things after work if you are working the morning shift.

Cons

Trying to please the guests and the servers is a struggle. If you are working a mid shift, you are working a 10 hour day. Can be stressful at times when there are a lot of tours coming in.

Advice to Management

I would advice management to be more helpful at times and to have a more positive work environment that makes their employees was to work together and be happy at work.