Xanterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

5.0
Andrew N Todd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Literally get to know the national park so well and hang out/work/party with people from all over the world (in 67 reviews)

• great learning experience, free room and board, (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is low pay and the hours are long (in 23 reviews)

• Employee dining room wasn't the best (in 7 reviews)

1. "Reservations Agent with Xanterra"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission, great managers, good communication and training.

Cons

Long shifts. Reservations was one of the better positions to work for, Xanterra on the other hand is not a good company. They take out an unreasonable amount from your paychecks for room and board. If working for Xanterra, I would recommend not applying for housekeeping or food and beverage.

2. "Great for what it is"

Former Employee - Lead Bartender in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Bartender in Grand Canyon, AZ

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-I worked at the Grand Canyon as a bartender for the better part of 10 years and only wished I had moved there sooner.
    -If you get bored working at one location, transferring to another department or park is simple. In fact, many individuals I knew would work at Yellowstone or Alaska during the summer and work at the Canyon during the winter.
    -They provide housing, and the pay is decent, but I would advise anyone to work in a tipping position. That is where you'll make a healthy living.
    -Overall the best part is you live a stone's throw from the GRAND CANYON!!

Cons

-The verticle movement (i.e., climbing the corporate ladder) is a long process, plus the only true incentive is for better housing. As a bartender, I easily made more than upper management.
    -You work in the service industry, so your personal vacations will be taken during low tourist season. No going home for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
    -Also, during peak tourist season, you can easily go nearly a month or two working six days in a row each week, but that is when you make great money.
    -While they do provide housing, you'll be put with a random person (and I've seen some pretty sketchy people), but you can also end up making some life long friends... total coin toss!
    -Lastly, you live in the middle of nowhere, so either bring a car or find someone who has a car, because you will get bored quickly if you spend your entire free time in the park.

Advice to Management

To Department Managers: Don't micromanage, allow Unit Managers to run the show.

3. "Seasonal Work At Xanterra Yellowstone"

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Gardiner, MT
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Gardiner, MT

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Living in Yellowstone
    Fun Work
    Room for rapid advancement
    Company puts its money where its mouth is on environmental issues
    Good management in my area - High standards and great training.
    Working for a company with ethics and standard.
    I sometimes hear complaints but when you get to the bottom of them most are from people who didn't understand that this is a real job, or from those who work in a particular department where they may have a bad manager.
    Great way to find a career and get the training you need to succeed here or elsewhere. Gave both me and my daugher careers.

Cons

Can't remember to use an X instead of a Z in the name :)
    Pay could be better but..... I was told what the pay was before I signed a contract so there is nothing I didn't agree to on my own. . They have paid me and treated me EXACTLY like their website and contracts indicate with no surprises

Advice to Management

Try to retain more good managers and employees, but I recognize how tough that is in a seasonal operation
    Keep up the environmental and sustainability programs

4. "Vacation?"

Current Employee - Reservation Specialist in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Current Employee - Reservation Specialist in Grand Canyon, AZ

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You may get to live at one of the natural wonders of the world!
    -Plenty of chances for advancement, if you bide your time and wait it out.
    -Cheap onsite housing.

Cons

-The pay is lackluster.
    -Advancement will take time. Either someone has to get fired or die for another position to open up.
    -Housing is cheap, but you're likely to get paired with a random roommate. I suggest applying along with a friend. You'll be placed in a dorm, apartment, or cabin with them.

Advice to Management

Give more incentive for advancement. So many employees there just gave up. No one should be content with staying a dishwasher for twenty years.

5. "Great job"

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Xanterra part-time

Pros

Exciting and fun industry to work in, entry level job.

Cons

Bonus program used to be stronger

6. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cody, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cody, WY

Pros

Great environment, friendly staff, employee centric.

Cons

No cons for this employer.

Advice to Management

None

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Opportunities, unlimited for those that want them

Cons

remote, but that's a good thing too

8. "Opportunies"

Current Employee - Engineering Training Specialist in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Training Specialist in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has many locations at National Parks all over the US. You can transfer park to park and see the country while enjoying Parks you could only visit not live.

Cons

It is difficult to maintain the same status when transferring to a new location and your salary will more than likely change.

Advice to Management

Candidates should be selected based on what they can offer and allowed to grow with the company. Remember not only is the company taking a chance with the candidate, but they are also taking a chance with the company. Employer employee relations goes a long way when developing positive experiences and loyalties.

9. "perp/ kitchen team member"

Former Employee - Prep Cook/Team Member in West Yellowstone, MT
    Former Employee - Prep Cook/Team Member in West Yellowstone, MT

Pros

Well I feel that I am good at perp cook also I have experience in doing so also I have my food handlers crad already so I can start asap

Cons

Sometimes it's boring cuz your alone or at least I was there was also a lot of responsibly was placed as I had to open the restaurant during peak season when we started serving breakfast.

10. "Expereince"

Former Employee - Laundry Attendant/Housekeeper in Springdale, UT
    Former Employee - Laundry Attendant/Housekeeper in Springdale, UT

I worked at Xanterra (Less than a year)

Pros

You can choose your position whether its housekeeping,front desk, maintenance, kitchen, waiter, hostess or lander keeper if available. You can live on the property in dormitory for employees. It is a good start for those that are young or old or any age who don't have much going for them in there life and want to save up money.

Cons

it is isolated. not much to do in the the town.if you are one that has to be in town or shopping everyday this will be a bothersome.