Xanterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 11, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew N Todd

Pros
  • Literally get to know the national park so well and hang out/work/party with people from all over the world (in 58 reviews)

• Opportunity to work at organization with opportunities in some of the most beautiful places on earth (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • bad working conditions with very low pay (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours in management, no compensation for working the extra hours or going the extra mile (in 10 reviews)

1. "Leave yourself an out."

Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

You meet people from all over the world. A short list includes Ecuador, Check Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Ukraine, Turkey, South Africa, Jamaica,and Taiwan. The location is beautiful, and you get a up-close appreciation of wildlife.

Cons

The biggest joke from long-time employees for this section is "everything else" or "the company." I'll try to sum it up the best I can.

The first thing you'll notice after a week is that the food is terrible. I've had under-cooked where the middle was raw and overcooked to the point of jerky. On top of that, the food is tasteless or over spiced to hide the lack of flavor. There is no middle ground. A term you will get to know well is "EDRdia", a term for the gastrointestinal distress that comes regularly after eating employee food. The real kicker is even if you abandon the food for your stomach's sake, you still have to pay for it.

Just like the food, there is no middle ground on management. Between high turnover and possible favoritism, getting a good manager can be harder than winning the lottery. If you believe your manager is treating you badly, don't stay silent, but don't expect your job back, either. This includes if you think a manager is favoring employees and you think you'll get in trouble because a favorite doesn't like you.

The work-life balance balance nonexistent. Even when they talk about having a good work-life balance here, they refer to being sober enough to work the next morning. They rarely talk about taking a breather, getting out of the park, or destressing in a way that doesn't involve alcohol or drugs. Plus it feels like the company is always watching, even when you are off-duty. The people in charge of the dorms (RCs) look like they're running ragged or just don't care. Plus the room walls are thin enough to hear what your neighbor is watching on TV and anything else louder.

Advice to Management

I know you were trying to work on employee retention, but it felt like too little, too late. The truth is, Xanterra is not desirable as a long-term working position. Either deal with the fact that high standards is beyond your ability or bring up the standards in the employee's environment.

2. "Horrible. Honestly Terrifying, But I Would Go Back."

Former Employee - Pantry Cook
    Former Employee - Pantry Cook

I worked at Xanterra part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Adventure, Opportunities to Meet and Socialize with People from all over the World, I (Personally) had Over 40 Hoursof Work Every Week to stay busy (some may also consider this a con),

Cons

Sexual Harassment EVERYWHERE. working for dirt cheap 40+ hours a week isn't everyone's idea of a good summer. I was written up two days in a row because my manager told me the wrong time to be in and it was deemed my fault for trusting his word over the schedule I WAS NEVER EVEN SHOWED TO. No Justice,

Advice to Management

Don't regret a thing about my experience besides being treated like a disposable sack of meat by management. They promise an end of bonus incentive and will actually TRY to fire employees before they meet that bonus.

3. "Intern/server"

I worked at Xanterra part-time

Pros

Working in a natiaonl park is an amazing experience no matter the challenges and you'll make new friends and memories

Cons

Management is awful, not very professional and the scheduling is terrible. Very over worked

Advice to Management

Improve schedules so people can enjoy the park more

5. "Unique Experience, Wouldn't Go Back"

Former Employee - Assistant Dining Room Manager in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra full-time

Pros

I worked in Yellowstone National Park and the beauty of the park is incredible. I worked with people from all over the U.S. as well as with coworkers from Europe, Asia, and South America. You will have an easy time getting to know and building friendships with coworkers. This is a unique work experience and something you'll be proud to say you have done.

Cons

Xanterra has strict service standards and operates in a very "corporate" way. No changes can be made by local management, everything has to be approved by corporate and by NPS. The company will hire just about anyone, so it's easy to get job and easy to move up. On the reverse side of this you end up with employees with virtually no experience and incompetent management. Xanterra is not keeping up with the times. Spare yourself and limit your contract to 2 months or 2.5 at most!

Advice to Management

Change things up! Stop doing the same thing and providing the same exact services year after year.

6. "Needs a LOT of improvement!"

Former Contractor - Front of House Staff in Gardiner, MT
    Former Contractor - Front of House Staff in Gardiner, MT

I worked at Xanterra as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing location, great hiking opportunities, discounts from nearby retailers, on-site housing

Cons

Unfair compensation, poor work/life balance for entry level employees, poor treatment of international employees, favoritism among management and residence staff

Advice to Management

Focus on impartiality in treatment of employees

"Reviews are accurate"

Current Employee - AZ - Arizona in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Current Employee - AZ - Arizona in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

Pros

Views of the Canyon, meeting people from around the world.

Cons

Bed bugs, mice, poor management,
    Only 20-30 hours of work for full time employees.

Advice to Management

Training and more training on leading a team, not dictating.
    Honest, working conditions explained in the interview process

8. "Does not care about staff"

Former Intern - Intern in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Intern - Intern in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful locations where the company does business, a lot of great people work with you from different walks of life, great diversity

Cons

Low pay, long hours, poor housing, poor employee relations

Advice to Management

care about the employees more

9. "Housekeeper"

I worked at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Getting to work in unique places with people from all over the world

Cons

bad working conditions with very low pay. Don't respect employees and aren't afraid to let people go

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like real people and try to create a more positive work environment

10. "Front Desk Agent"

Pros

Discounted room rates at other Xanterra properties Free employee meal provided each shift.

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of responsibility and stress (at times) the job can entail. Health insurance is expensive.

"Doesn't care about employees"

I worked at Xanterra full-time

Pros

not too many pros that i can think of

Cons

corporate
    treats employees poorly