Xanterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Xanterra Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Literally get to know the national park so well and hang out/work/party with people from all over the world (in 65 reviews)

• great learning experience, free room and board, (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The job is low pay and the hours are long (in 23 reviews)

• Employee dining room wasn't the best (in 7 reviews)

1. "PAD THE WALLS IN THIS NUTHOUSE!!! Stay AWAY!!!"

Current Employee - Bartender in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Current Employee - Bartender in Grand Canyon, AZ

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some Parks are AMAZING! They will HIRE Anybody!! If you are a person who likes to play with your defecation , you might love it! Working with the most Burnt out workwise people who are stuck in there ways, the fact that new ideas freaked them out, or the fact you have way more knowledge than them..basically seeing them squirm tends to entertain me. Glacier and Furnace Creek are Amazing!!

Cons

Working at the Grand Canyon SUCKS!!! They wont tell you or warn you..so here it is.. There is NO AIR CONDITIONING!!! ITS HOT!! ITS AZ!! They will hire anybody!! I mean they are some WEIRDOS in this place! I'm talking people who are escaping jailtime or a mental facility!! they are shot out! Never been sooo miserable in my life!! However I worked at other parks that I really liked, but couldn't finish out contract to return to the other parks because it is that bad!! Not only is Living Condition Horrible the work environment is horrible!! Almost like a 3rd world country! Ive been to prison and would pick prison over this place anyday! Previous employees warned me how bad it is, and still couldn't take it!!

Advice to Management

Just Quit, or realize that just because a person has been there for 30 years doesn't make them Your BOSS!! You are the BOSS!! Change the bar or dining room the way YOU see fit!! Who knows once they see the efficiency , they might open there BLIND EYES!!Don't be scared to fire people!!! Might change their attitude if they realize they can be fired!!

"Realities of the south rim"

I have been working at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Servers can make good money.

Cons

Restaurant and hotels are in poor conditions. Management is grossly incompetent. Nothing is done well. Oh, employee housing is dreadful as well.

Advice to Management

The culture of excellence has been dismantled. Own it. It's casual low end dining place now. El Tovar's best days are behind it.

3. "My time at Xanterra"

I worked at Xanterra part-time

Pros

It provides much experience with the working world and with nature. It is all in a safe environment that ensures tranquility. The workers are treated fairly and it provides exposure.

Cons

The job is low pay and the hours are long.

4. "No excellence to be found here"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding scenery, the Park is beautiful. Many nice people. Great outdoor recreational opportunities. Job had me out in the Park on a daily basis.

Cons

Extremely poor management at all levels. A few need to move out and make room for those with more commitment to excellence and professionalism.

Advice to Management

Place more value on productive, reliable and trustworthy employees.

5. "Strict corporate policies."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company works to be green and efficient.

Cons

Has high demands of employees, despite having lower wages, and poor housing.

Advice to Management

Be more lenient on employees. Especially hourly. Corporate rules make day to day difficult, especially when you live at your job.

6. "Almost Ruined Me"

Former Employee - Crew Member Retail in Estes Park, CO
    Former Employee - Crew Member Retail in Estes Park, CO

I worked at Xanterra part-time

Pros

When I think of a "pro" - if I ever do- I will share it.

Cons

It was the most horrible experience of my life. I needed work pretty badly. I had had a divorce, and had to move - this affected me being hired, so I really needed work. They promised they wanted my foreign language skills (which are good), and Customer Service - I would be a cashier. They did say there would be a LITTLE physical work - but not much - very minor. They took me up to 12,000 feet in altitude, and had me carry boxes up and down stairs until my left side went completely numb and I got very sick - 3 days in a row. They treated me very badly for it - like a child (I am 59 years old, so of course it angered me), and then 3 managers berated me for about 1/2 hour - I cried hard because they were so cruel. They fired me - since I had room/ board this meant I now had no place to stay. They said "what is that to us?" They were completely cruel and awful. I got off their premises with some help - they never processed me as an employee, so I will get no pay for the 3 days I worked until I dropped. I have never been treated so badly in my life - their pay wasn't very high anyway. It certainly was not worth the abuse. I risked everything just to get a job. I was sick, and after they upset me badly with 1/2 hour of berating, I had to call an ambulance for a "killer"headache. My blood pressure was 260/168, and since my left side had gone numb, the Emergency room feared I'd had a stroke. They determined I did not - but they did say nobody should be sent to 12,000 feet in altitude without acclimitization because it can kill you. Once I left them, with no place to go, the people I spoke to in Colorado were also horrible to me, and no help was available except help that was too hard for me, physically. I ended up trusting somebody I should not - going to another state - and now I'm extricating myself from the problems that the person I had to turn to, has caused. I am still not ok - thanks to Xanterrible (no thanks). This place is so terrible - I do not recommend them, especially if you really need a job!
    This NEEDS to be written. It is all exactly as I have said. There is no excuse for it.

Advice to Management

I literally do not know what to say, except that your employees are real people. Real people who need to be treated with respect - like real people. You accused me of no respect - yet you almost killed or made me incapacitated. I don't know what else to say. I am still in dire trouble - and I cannot believe the treatment I had. Something has to give. This should not be allowed by any company.

7. "I had a great experience at first but then I started to get the feeling that they we're Money hungry"

Pros

Great location lots of things to do friendly environment easy to make friends an experience I wouldn't trade for anything

Cons

I got fired for not calling out of work properly but I was never taught the correct way by any of the managers I felt they don't teach you how to have a reason to fire you

Advice to Management

Teach people proper call out procedure and be more understanding

8. "Cafe Manager"

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work in some of the most beautiful places in America. Fun working with international students.

Cons

Way understaffed at end of season. HR did not care about being understaffed.

Advice to Management

Spend more time hiring staff than trying to convince Managers they are not understaffed.

9. "Xanterra manager"

I have been working at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Good pay free room and board.

Cons

Very long hours and very busy

Advice to Management

More staff

"Come for the beautiful Scenery, Stay for the crippling burecracy"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful scenery - some of the most exotic locations in the United States.

You can live where you work and not drive anywhere if you want.

Decent 401k for full time employees

Cons

There are only a few locations you can be a full time employee - most jobs by nature are seasonal. So the 401k is basically useless to 80% of their workforce.

Communication - Nobody tells anybody anything, until it becomes a problem, then you should have already known. I almost got written up once for handling something the way I had been taught how in training because the rules had changed and nobody told either the trainer or anybody that was currently in the position.
    Employee housing is really run down and will not be fixed unless someone actually gets hurt.
    Impossible to move up in company past a certain level without being friends with higher ups.

Advice to Management

Please fix your housing - no one should have to fall down stairs for you to fix them when they had been reported for YEARS and even your safety guy was aware of them; or wait 7 months for a leaky toilet to be repaired in what took 5 minutes of actual work to do.

Reward Loyalty better than a pizza coupon every year or so. There is no incentive to do better.