Xcel Energy Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

3.8
Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, excellent benefits, low cost and excellent health insurance (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 6 reviews)

"???"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits, low cost and excellent health insurance.
    Company upper management is excellent and constantly reminds employees at all levels of responsibility to the customer.

Cons

Management seems determined to drive the company toward expensive and unreliable renewable electricity, They use government incentives to keep cost down, but don't seem to have a plan for the long term.

Advice to Management

Alter message to customers away from "clean energy" and toward safe, reliable, affordable electricity.

2. "Xcel"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, good training & compensation

Cons

Overly complicated systems makes day to day tasks difficult

"Gave my life and soul to this company for 13 years."

Former Employee - Plant Superintendent in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Plant Superintendent in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started out great but then leadership changed.... When it was NSP, the company thrived. When the merger took place to form Xcel Energy, the jerks in Colorado tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Cons

Don't work for these jerks, they will not only suck the life out of you but your family as well. They are absolutely ruthless.

Advice to Management

You folks with golden umbrellas don't care about anyone or anything but yourselves. Your cronyism is stifling the company. Someday you will see the light.

4. "Values are visible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I witness leaders and executives demonstrating the Xcel Energy Corporate Values on a regular basis.

Cons

Xcel Energy has a strong relationship based culture. This has both positives and negatives. For someone challenged by informal communication, this can be a very confusing environment to work in.

5. "Test Lead"

Current Contractor - Senior Test Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Senior Test Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company that keeps god talent. Opportunity for growth is very good and they treat their employees like family

Cons

Parking is very constrained downtown mpls and is fairly steep.

Advice to Management

When you have good consultants, keep them, if you convert them, do so. Make sure the dollars are comparable and make sense.

6. "Business Intern"

Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Xcel Energy while they were implementing SAP. They were on the last leg of the project and had a lot of catching up to do. The people at Xcel Energy are great and were always willing to help. I learned a lot from my internship with Xcel.

Cons

Honestly, none. Excellent company and people.

Advice to Management

Interns are given so many opportunities to learn about the company and network with interns from different departments. Keep up the good work, I only have good things to say about this company.

"Worst company culture I've ever experienced"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Stable job in a regulated industry.
    + Decent 401k & pension packages for Full-time employees.

Cons

Xcel Energy will forever stand out to me as a traditional top-down, shareholder/executive, suit held company with its bottom line always being it's ROI—not the environment, customers, or our communities as they'd like to have you believe via their public facade. As others have mentioned, the corporate culture here is hostile, negative and incredibly stale; This has been a known issue internally for a while now as the company itself was undergoing a corporate "culture change initiative" during my time there.

There's a huge problem with nepotism and hierarchies embedded within the company. To be promoted and to retain your position once you're hired you need to appease and align yourself with the ‘right people’ even if they're completely inept or unlikable. Promotions aren't frequent, and there is limited advancement as most positions are reserved for someone's relative or friend regardless of their abilities, skills or educational background. Because of this, some people get by doing less than others with the same title/position/compensation while others are forced to do all the work out of fear of losing their job. There's absolutely no correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities.

- Slow and bureaucratic through and through. Adapting very poorly to millennials work environment.

- Disingenuous leadership. Senior leaders give the pretense of cooperation but are generally unwilling to work together.

- Management is there solely for the advancement of their own careers. They are egomaniacs and couldn’t care less about lower level representative, assistant, or associate employees. Most spent their workdays in pointless meetings in private offices trying to politically outmaneuver one another to capture as much corporate real estate as they could.

- Teams/Departments are competitive rather than collaborative. There is very poor cross-departmental communication and little respect for each department's role. Contractors are viewed and treated as being inferior to full-time employees and are not given benefits, sick days, or holidays off.

- Speaking of sick days, Xcel offers its full-time employees a horrible high deductible healthcare coverage through Medica with prescriptions through Express Scripts. You better be saving in your HSA because you’ll need it.

- IT and the Business Systems department is 5-10 years behind the times. Computers and internal networks are incredibly slow. Business processes don't make any sense. The company headquarters didn't even have employee Wi-Fi until the relocation to the new HQ in 2016, something standard pretty much everywhere else almost a decade ago.

Advice to Management

1. Recognize and take care of the notable talent that lies below your management level. Provide career opportunities to the younger generation, give them a reason to stay. I've kept in contact with all the skillful and bright young coworkers I developed professional relationships with while working at Xcel and all have since left for greener pastures.

2. Modernize and streamline your business processes and technology.

3. Have a more rigorous evaluation process for management. The company has too many incompetent, narcissistic people just riding out the same jobs they had for the past 5+ years that their senior staffed mother or aunt got them.

"More than a decade working at utilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a stable place to work, and you could probably hold onto a job indefinitely.

Cons

There was no movement in the division I worked in. The work was complex with plenty of challenges to work on, but most management was only interested in the status quo.

Advice to Management

Build teams and encourage cross-team collaboration. Try to look at the small arena you manage as a piece of a much larger puzzle and invite your team to understand how you believe the team can work together to make a larger impact.

"I was fortunate to have 5 different roles, which gave me great experience and launched my career."

Former Employee - Finance Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The industry is very challenging and very dynamic, creating opportunities to be innovative and to learn and grow. Employees are bright and collaborative.

Cons

There is a glass ceiling for women; the senior leadership team is not collaborative but rather competitive; and the company is focused on hiring younger staff.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be more collaborative and supportive. Newer is not always better!

10. "Principal OD Consultant"

Current Employee - Principal OD Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Principal OD Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to apply leading edge OD practices

Cons

Minneapolis winters - Midwest location away from my east coast family

Advice to Management

Engage members of your organization down to the individual contributor level in order to access critical information, truly understand your organization's capacity, and maximize operational performance.