Xcel Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Generous paid time off
    -No need to work 45 hours+
    -Larimer location (main Denver office) a great building to work in
    -Easy public transportation to Larimer office
    -Still have pension program

Cons

-Currently transitioning to a more competitive mindset, unsure what company culture will be when finished
    -As a utility, very slow to adapt new IT programs, technology
    -In Engineering, all engineers in MN and TX make the same as CO, which has a higher cost of living
    -Pay seems to be lower than maybe it should be (only from what I've heard, haven't done research)

2. "A wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Commercial Credit Specialist in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Credit Specialist in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very positive work environment, amazing people to work with, good incentives, home based eligible, and a safe place to be.

Cons

I really don't have anything to say that's bad about the company. It's an all around great place to work.

3. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - CSR2 in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actively pursuing avenues that will better our agents to assist our customers in having amazing service.

Cons

Not having enough people that are customer service minded and not thinking this is just a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a fantastic job

5. "Values are visible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I witness leaders and executives demonstrating the Xcel Energy Corporate Values on a regular basis.

Cons

Xcel Energy has a strong relationship based culture. This has both positives and negatives. For someone challenged by informal communication, this can be a very confusing environment to work in.

"Company loyalty"

Current Employee - Foreman in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Foreman in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck for 36 years.

Cons

High deductible health care, removing medical coverage for retirees even though ceo made 22 million and received a 25 percent raise. Plays favorites between departments. All problems laid on the workers backs.

Advice to Management

Quit the hypocrisy . Why do you need to eliminate the working class in this company and steal so much for your self? Why are you so much more valuable than us? I've been here 36 years and will leave stripped of ANY benefits. I heeded the call when YOU needed it , now where are you when the call goes the other way? The structure of this company was NOT set in place by management alone but by the employees that worked to build the gas and electric lines and maintain them.

7. "HP Gas Colorado - Horrific Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people in the lower ranks. That's about it.

Cons

I'm really surprised the PUC hasn't come down on the fraud and waste with Xcel HP Gas. I can honestly say I have never worked for more arrogant and under qualified management group ever. Believe it or not, you don't need a degree or even experience to be a Manager or Director here, although some may have one from an online university. I really don't know how to some of the incompetence that the management here shows, other than this place is perfect for someone who can't make it anywhere else. You'll get promoted at Xcel and to a high level. The only reason this is possible and does not hurt the company is because it just doesn't matter in the end. The industry is solid and the customers don't have a choice in who supplies their electric and gas. Therefore, no accountability is needed with the management. I think there are better parts of Xcel Energy, but the High Pressure Gas department is seriously messed up. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Advice to Management

Cut management by 3/4 and make sure those that are left over have actual experience and education. Most don't have a clue and just make up work to stay busy. Wastes a lot of money on not only their salary, but more importantly, everyone else's time as they are under these moron's.

8. "Business Intern"

Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Xcel Energy while they were implementing SAP. They were on the last leg of the project and had a lot of catching up to do. The people at Xcel Energy are great and were always willing to help. I learned a lot from my internship with Xcel.

Cons

Honestly, none. Excellent company and people.

Advice to Management

Interns are given so many opportunities to learn about the company and network with interns from different departments. Keep up the good work, I only have good things to say about this company.

"Worst company culture I've ever experienced"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Stable job in a regulated industry.
    + Decent 401k & pension packages for Full-time employees.

Cons

Xcel Energy will forever stand out to me as a traditional top-down, shareholder/executive, suit held company with its bottom line always being it's ROI—not the environment, customers, or our communities as they'd like to have you believe via their public facade. As others have mentioned, the corporate culture here is hostile, negative and incredibly stale; This has been a known issue internally for a while now as the company itself was undergoing a corporate "culture change initiative" during my time there.

There's a huge problem with nepotism and hierarchies embedded within the company. To be promoted and to retain your position once you're hired you need to appease and align yourself with the ‘right people’ even if they're completely inept or unlikable. Promotions aren't frequent, and there is limited advancement as most positions are reserved for someone's relative or friend regardless of their abilities, skills or educational background. Because of this, some people get by doing less than others with the same title/position/compensation while others are forced to do all the work out of fear of losing their job. There's absolutely no correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities.

- Slow and bureaucratic through and through. Adapting very poorly to millennials work environment.

- Disingenuous leadership. Senior leaders give the pretense of cooperation but are generally unwilling to work together.

- Management is there solely for the advancement of their own careers. They are egomaniacs and couldn’t care less about lower level representative, assistant, or associate employees. Most spent their workdays in pointless meetings in private offices trying to politically outmaneuver one another to capture as much corporate real estate as they could.

- Teams/Departments are competitive rather than collaborative. There is very poor cross-departmental communication and little respect for each department's role. Contractors are viewed and treated as being inferior to full-time employees and are not given benefits, sick days, or holidays off.

- Speaking of sick days, Xcel offers its full-time employees a horrible high deductible healthcare coverage through Medica with prescriptions through Express Scripts. You better be saving in your HSA because you’ll need it.

- IT and the Business Systems department is 5-10 years behind the times. Computers and internal networks are incredibly slow. Business processes don't make any sense. The company headquarters didn't even have employee Wi-Fi until the relocation to the new HQ in 2016, something standard pretty much everywhere else almost a decade ago.

Advice to Management

1. Recognize and take care of the notable talent that lies below your management level. Provide career opportunities to the younger generation, give them a reason to stay. I've kept in contact with all the skillful and bright young coworkers I developed professional relationships with while working at Xcel and all have since left for greener pastures.

2. Modernize and streamline your business processes and technology.

3. Have a more rigorous evaluation process for management. The company has too many incompetent, narcissistic people just riding out the same jobs they had for the past 5+ years that their senior staffed mother or aunt got them.

"Finance Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Financial stability of the company and job security (regulated industry)

Cons

Corporate culture is very negative and stale. Because of the pension (not applicable to new hires) mediocre performers stay in the company for their entire career stewing over decade-long conflicts. The company is insanely political - to be promoted and (most importantly) retain your ground one needs to be aligned with powerful advocates all the way up the chain. The political wind often change as the company go through at least one reorg per year in order to divvy up the empire based on the flavor of the day i.e. who are the most powerful favorites and their cronies. It is also very backward company in terms of technology, workforce diversity and promoting minorities. The fairy tales they tell you on their website are exactly what they are - fairly tales.

11. "More than a decade working at utilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a stable place to work, and you could probably hold onto a job indefinitely.

Cons

There was no movement in the division I worked in. The work was complex with plenty of challenges to work on, but most management was only interested in the status quo.

Advice to Management

Build teams and encourage cross-team collaboration. Try to look at the small arena you manage as a piece of a much larger puzzle and invite your team to understand how you believe the team can work together to make a larger impact.