Xcel Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "HP Gas Colorado - Horrific Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people in the lower ranks. That's about it.

Cons

I'm really surprised the PUC hasn't come down on the fraud and waste with Xcel HP Gas. I can honestly say I have never worked for more arrogant and under qualified management group ever. Believe it or not, you don't need a degree or even experience to be a Manager or Director here, although some may have one from an online university. I really don't know how to some of the incompetence that the management here shows, other than this place is perfect for someone who can't make it anywhere else. You'll get promoted at Xcel and to a high level. The only reason this is possible and does not hurt the company is because it just doesn't matter in the end. The industry is solid and the customers don't have a choice in who supplies their electric and gas. Therefore, no accountability is needed with the management. I think there are better parts of Xcel Energy, but the High Pressure Gas department is seriously messed up. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Advice to Management

Cut management by 3/4 and make sure those that are left over have actual experience and education. Most don't have a clue and just make up work to stay busy. Wastes a lot of money on not only their salary, but more importantly, everyone else's time as they are under these moron's.

"Worst company culture I've ever experienced"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Stable job in a regulated industry.
    + Decent 401k & pension packages for Full-time employees.

Cons

Xcel Energy will forever stand out to me as a traditional top-down, shareholder/executive, suit held company with its bottom line always being it's ROI—not the environment, customers, or our communities as they'd like to have you believe via their public facade. As others have mentioned, the corporate culture here is hostile, negative and incredibly stale; This has been a known issue internally for a while now as the company itself was undergoing a corporate "culture change initiative" during my time there.

There's a huge problem with nepotism and hierarchies embedded within the company. To be promoted and to retain your position once you're hired you need to appease and align yourself with the ‘right people’ even if they're completely inept or unlikable. Promotions aren't frequent, and there is limited advancement as most positions are reserved for someone's relative or friend regardless of their abilities, skills or educational background. Because of this, some people get by doing less than others with the same title/position/compensation while others are forced to do all the work out of fear of losing their job. There's absolutely no correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities.

- Slow and bureaucratic through and through. Adapting very poorly to millennials work environment.

- Disingenuous leadership. Senior leaders give the pretense of cooperation but are generally unwilling to work together.

- Management is there solely for the advancement of their own careers. They are egomaniacs and couldn’t care less about lower level representative, assistant, or associate employees. Most spent their workdays in pointless meetings in private offices trying to politically outmaneuver one another to capture as much corporate real estate as they could.

- Teams/Departments are competitive rather than collaborative. There is very poor cross-departmental communication and little respect for each department's role. Contractors are viewed and treated as being inferior to full-time employees and are not given benefits, sick days, or holidays off.

- Speaking of sick days, Xcel offers its full-time employees a horrible high deductible healthcare coverage through Medica with prescriptions through Express Scripts. You better be saving in your HSA because you’ll need it.

- IT and the Business Systems department is 5-10 years behind the times. Computers and internal networks are incredibly slow. Business processes don't make any sense. The company headquarters didn't even have employee Wi-Fi until the relocation to the new HQ in 2016, something standard pretty much everywhere else almost a decade ago.

Advice to Management

1. Recognize and take care of the notable talent that lies below your management level. Provide career opportunities to the younger generation, give them a reason to stay. I've kept in contact with all the skillful and bright young coworkers I developed professional relationships with while working at Xcel and all have since left for greener pastures.

2. Modernize and streamline your business processes and technology.

3. Have a more rigorous evaluation process for management. The company has too many incompetent, narcissistic people just riding out the same jobs they had for the past 5+ years that their senior staffed mother or aunt got them.

"What a Train wreck."

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE! No wonder our utilities are soooooo high.

Cons

Too many old white males that still have the "Good Ole Boys" club. Absolutely, shocked that this mentality still exists in corporate America! Alive and well at Xcel Energy

Advice to Management

Have your senior level employees retire because that are intentionally setting up the new employees for failure.

"Contractor heavy"

Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay scale,great divide between union and management

Cons

Poor health care benefits,catastrophic pretty much

Advice to Management

None

"Xcel Energy Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, positive work/life balance

Cons

Poor leadership, non collaborative working environment, fear-based culture, no knowledge of marketing communications and how marketing/brand efforts contribute to bottom line

"Contract Electrical Engineer"

Former Contractor - Contract Electrical Engineer in Amarillo, TX
    Former Contractor - Contract Electrical Engineer in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The work can involve the most modern electrical engineering techniques and design methods. The pay was moderately good.

Cons

The In-Fighting within the organization between employees at all levels creates a non-productive environment. You drag yourself to work every day - hating the fact that it is going to be the same BS as every previous day.

Advice to Management

Clean up the non-productive career dead weight who are at the heart of this problem. They know they do not have to be productive, so all they do every day is cause greater strife within the organization.

"Avoid Nuclear"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Benefits are ok, but not quite as good as other nuclear companies.

Cons

Prairie Island Nuclear has horrible management and is driving people out the door. The culture is awful and has created a revolving door. Probably 40% of people are new in the last couple years and most of them plan to leave as soon as there relocation repayment time is met. Management doesn't seem to have a clue that they are the problem. They just keep threatening employees to do better instead of solving problems so that employees can successfully do their jobs.

Advice to Management

You are the problem. Unfortunately the CEO hasn't recognized this. Replacing management is the way to make Prairie Island a decent place.

"From SPS to a mess"

Former Employee - Inst Journeyman in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Inst Journeyman in Amarillo, TX

Pros

None except for a lot lack time during unproductive meetings

Cons

Conflicting and inept management decisions based on accountants deciding where to spend money.
    The results major catastrophic failures at Harrington Station, and a dog and pony show that is still in play.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rump rangers that think they know it all and rely on those who have the experience, knowledge, and fix the problems properly. Maximo is not the answer, you have wrecked the entire maintenance system with software that slows work down. Upper management has been blinded by this lack to speak up against poor guidance by the board who cant make a sound decision based on the future of coal generation.

"Over all not a terrible company to work for in this west Texas area. The company has changed over the years."

Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX

Pros

The company benefits are good along with the salary for the panhandle of Texas. The company has a large coverage area.

Cons

Once you have reached management the company has drifted away from good work values. If you are a "YES SIR" person no matter the quality of work you put out, You can move up high in the company.
    That makes the company values in my eyes very low.
    The old saying "It NOT what you know but WHO you know" this is sad but true. 20 plus years of service.

Advice to Management

Review the company core values and revert back to where knowledge, productivity and respect are back in the picture and account for something instead of someone with NO knowledge but has the ability to say "YES SIR"

"Managers are allowed to carry firearms"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The building in LoDo is very nice.

Cons

Management works and promotes within the good ol boys club.
    A lot of contractors from IBM Global Services are used, and that is fine. But they often use the "you had better take this job or we will be forced to cut your contract off" method to entice you to take a full-time job for much less pay. I fell for it, and that was a mistake.
    The company had a "no firearms" policy when I was there. They even had a mandatory training on the subject.
    On several occasions, I witnessed my direct supervisor behaving erratically, which eventually escalated into a situation where the supervisor was bringing a firearm to work. I reported the situation, and the supervisor was removed for three weeks. At that time, I was told that he was no "cupcake" and that I needed to get over it. Unfortunately, I never felt comfortable with that, so I felt it was time to leave. I haven't regretted that decision.

Advice to Management

If you are a contractor, remain a contractor.