Xcel Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 5 reviews)

1. "Stable, yes."

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable industry, great people, great location, good PTO and 401k packages. That's about it.....no real room to grow and they do reorganizations instead of fixing true problems.

Cons

Although stable, Xcel Energy is not competitive with their salary packages. I work full time, and can barely make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Take care of your talent, internally... hey will take care of you. Upper management gets all the salary percentages, while employees struggle to live.

2. "Growing Pains"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This is a unique industry that has a ton of opportunity moving forward. The day-to-day can be a bit mundane, but progressive thinking people will be allowed to create a new business environment.

Cons

People lack motivation to make changes. The regulated utility atmosphere removes incentives for employees to work really hard. As a contractor, most people treated me as inferior to their full-time employment status and made it quite difficult to work on projects with them. Don't think of contracting as getting your foot in the door. All organizations are in silos with little interest to work together, and leadership doesn't try too much to integrate.

Advice to Management

Communicate and share! I've never worked at a company so afraid to just sit down, talk, and provide feedback to their teams. You have such great, young minds joining and interested in making a difference. Allow them the opportunity to! Provide leadership opportunities! Rotational positions! Without a little risk, you'll never reap the huge upside rewards.

3. "Scheduler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Xcel Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people work there, okay online learning available but may not be allowed to take course if not in your work sphere.

Cons

Too many unappreciated Contractors working for company, none get paid time off or holidays though Interns do.

"Communications Consultant"

Pros

Benefits are great, pay is above average.

Cons

Long-term, strategic management is lacking which results in repeated reorganizations. Leadership for Corporate Communications is less than desirable.

Advice to Management

Evaluate performance of managers and directors and take action to reward actual productivity.

6. "Decent company"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, good location, fun environment

Cons

Shift work; poor management, too regulated

"It's not worth the stress"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They work with my school schedule I love my co workers

Cons

Healthcare premium is so high we cannot see a doctor, they micromanage,treat you like a computer, this place isn't for you if you have a family or any life outside of work oh and on calls 8-12 weeks a year I could go on. Oh and they took my pto when I was out on maternity leave because having a baby is a vacation I guess

Advice to Management

Care about your employees/ Dont be pompous jerks/ Stop playing favorites and actually make a change when we express our frustrations/ horrible communication and software

"Xcel Energy"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company pays well, great location, and tries to communicate to staff.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, unable to change/slow to change, staff afraid of managers. Organization structure is heavily built upon contractors which leads to very little incentive to create/participate in a healthy culture.

Advice to Management

Hire permanent employees and remove stagnant and dictator like managers.

"Substation Field Engineering (SFE)"

Former Employee - Substation Field Engineer in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Substation Field Engineer in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The members of this team are great. Knowledge, willing to teach and friendly.

Cons

The Supervisor of this group is the worst boss I've ever had. She only cares about getting herself ahead in the company. The lack of respect she has shown to her subordinates should be investigated by Human Resources. Her lack of leadership is destroying the morale of the team. I would not recommend joining this team while she is leading it.

Advice to Management

This team needs a leader that understands what this group is about and treats their employees with respect and dignity.I

10. "Engineer (Gas)"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

Stability and Benefits. Not much else

Cons

No communication, top down management, no training, under qualified management. More ladder climber than leaders. Good people leave... fast.

Advice to Management

You should be the principle of your group and the leader. Listen to you people, not just your bosses.

Xcel Energy Response

Oct 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. We are pleased you appreciate the company’s stability and benefits. If there is anything else you would like to share that may help us ... More

"No Longer Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the greatest benefits of being a full time employee at Xcel Energy is the paid time off you can take to volunteer for local non-profits and charitable organizations. This is a company that still offers a pension and a generous vacation package. It can offer interesting and complex work.

Cons

The utility industry is changing and Xcel Energy's executive leadership is running scared. They do not know what they want and as a result they are a thrashing, dysfunctional organization that pits it's employees against one another. It is a bloated and wasteful company where leadership speaks of "bending the cost curve", yet do business like it is 1999. Because the don't have competition to focus on, they eat their own and waste the talents of many top performers in endless turf battles and wars of egotistical supremacy. If you can disengage your brain, your conscience and your ethics, you can likely survive nicely in this environment.

Advice to Management

You slot leaders in key positions who do not have the background, knowledge or skills to move the business forward. Instead, these dinosaurs who grew up in the industry, maintain the status quo and hide behind smoke and mirrors (not to mention endless PowerPoint presentations that say nothing). Try hiring from the outside and put new blood into the business instead of moving ancient retreads from position to position. Then try supporting new people instead of putting them through the frat- house type of hazing that anybody with intelligence and vision receive when coming to work at Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Response

Aug 17, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share such thoughtful, candid feedback. We’re proud you shared your talents with us for over a decade and are pleased you found the work interesting and benefits ... More