Xcel Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Xcel Energy Reviews

Updated July 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, excellent benefits, low cost and excellent health insurance (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "Okay"

Pros

Pay is good, High culture of Safety

Cons

PTO bank for salaried employees, Work Life balance not good, They expect very long hours

"Gave my life and soul to this company for 13 years."

Former Employee - Plant Superintendent in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Plant Superintendent in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started out great but then leadership changed.... When it was NSP, the company thrived. When the merger took place to form Xcel Energy, the jerks in Colorado tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Cons

Don't work for these jerks, they will not only suck the life out of you but your family as well. They are absolutely ruthless.

Advice to Management

You folks with golden umbrellas don't care about anyone or anything but yourselves. Your cronyism is stifling the company. Someday you will see the light.

"Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in the Union, the pay is descent, Have 401k plan & health plan now is an HSA plan..Public Service was a great company to work for

Cons

Management mid level & up are horrible.
    No one backs their employees & you will never see any recognition. It's all about the very large bonuses they get yearly after they have already gotten their by-monthly pay shacks.
    Working for Xcel Energy is turning into a night mare.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees
    .If you show your employees a little respect they will always do more than what was expected of them

4. "Talent management"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Friendly people yes no maybe

Cons

Hard to move up advancement

5. "Values are visible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I witness leaders and executives demonstrating the Xcel Energy Corporate Values on a regular basis.

Cons

Xcel Energy has a strong relationship based culture. This has both positives and negatives. For someone challenged by informal communication, this can be a very confusing environment to work in.

6. "Good Company to work for"

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Xcel Energy offers competitive pay

Cons

Feedback on performance still needs improvement

Advice to Management

Improve performance management

"Company loyalty"

Current Employee - Foreman in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Foreman in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck for 36 years.

Cons

High deductible health care, removing medical coverage for retirees even though ceo made 22 million and received a 25 percent raise. Plays favorites between departments. All problems laid on the workers backs.

Advice to Management

Quit the hypocrisy . Why do you need to eliminate the working class in this company and steal so much for your self? Why are you so much more valuable than us? I've been here 36 years and will leave stripped of ANY benefits. I heeded the call when YOU needed it , now where are you when the call goes the other way? The structure of this company was NOT set in place by management alone but by the employees that worked to build the gas and electric lines and maintain them.

8. "Great organization!"

Pros

opportunities to learn, challenging environment and content

Cons

no employee parking, bus pass encouraged

9. "Was a great company"

Current Employee - Senior Fitter
    Current Employee - Senior Fitter

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is nothing to complain about, and the benefits as of now are pretty great.

Cons

The future for working class employees, ie the ones keeping the gas and electricity on and flowing, fixing faults, outages, broken lines, gas leaks, etc. Is looking worse and worse with every contract negotiation. The CEO and other executives can make millions or even tens of millions a year, get ridiculous raises, and want even more! Now they are looking to get that money from the working class that keeps this company going! Even going as far as to take retirement health benefits from current and future employees! That's a real nice thank you for giving them 30-40 years of your life for their business! Terrible communication, and really behind the times compared to many other utility companies. Company leaves standards vague and puts ALL of the responsibility on the employees. Terrible at parting with their money to get employees the help or tools that we need. Bottom line is that not too long ago this was a great company that seemed to care about their employees more than their budget, however since Ben took over everyone seems to have forgotten how and who makes this company function/money. If things keep going this way they are going to end up losing many employees to better companies. They also run a high risk of ending up on the news in a bad way...its going to be tough for them to fix broken lines, outages, etc. after they've ran off all of their OQ qualified workers! I wonder if Ben or any executive for that matter knows the first thing about fixing an underground fault? Or how to how to tap and stop 3" PVC gas line when it's broke and blowing 60 PSI in the middle of the road? This company needs to wake up and take care of the people who take care if them!

Advice to Management

Wake up! Fight for your employees, and take care of the people who keep your company going. I give 40 hours a week minimum, lots of nights, weekends, holidays, time away from the family to come and take care of business for this company, just to watch them take, take, take. I guess 22 million in a year just isn't enough to make it on!? Pathetic.

"HP Gas Colorado - Horrific Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people in the lower ranks. That's about it.

Cons

I'm really surprised the PUC hasn't come down on the fraud and waste with Xcel HP Gas. I can honestly say I have never worked for more arrogant and under qualified management group ever. Believe it or not, you don't need a degree or even experience to be a Manager or Director here, although some may have one from an online university. I really don't know how to some of the incompetence that the management here shows, other than this place is perfect for someone who can't make it anywhere else. You'll get promoted at Xcel and to a high level. The only reason this is possible and does not hurt the company is because it just doesn't matter in the end. The industry is solid and the customers don't have a choice in who supplies their electric and gas. Therefore, no accountability is needed with the management. I think there are better parts of Xcel Energy, but the High Pressure Gas department is seriously messed up. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Advice to Management

Cut management by 3/4 and make sure those that are left over have actual experience and education. Most don't have a clue and just make up work to stay busy. Wastes a lot of money on not only their salary, but more importantly, everyone else's time as they are under these moron's.