Xcel Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Xcel Energy Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, excellent benefits, low cost and excellent health insurance (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 6 reviews)

"HP Gas Colorado - Horrific Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people in the lower ranks. That's about it.

Cons

I'm really surprised the PUC hasn't come down on the fraud and waste with Xcel HP Gas. I can honestly say I have never worked for more arrogant and under qualified management group ever. Believe it or not, you don't need a degree or even experience to be a Manager or Director here, although some may have one from an online university. I really don't know how to some of the incompetence that the management here shows, other than this place is perfect for someone who can't make it anywhere else. You'll get promoted at Xcel and to a high level. The only reason this is possible and does not hurt the company is because it just doesn't matter in the end. The industry is solid and the customers don't have a choice in who supplies their electric and gas. Therefore, no accountability is needed with the management. I think there are better parts of Xcel Energy, but the High Pressure Gas department is seriously messed up. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Advice to Management

Cut management by 3/4 and make sure those that are left over have actual experience and education. Most don't have a clue and just make up work to stay busy. Wastes a lot of money on not only their salary, but more importantly, everyone else's time as they are under these moron's.

2. "Business Intern"

Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Xcel Energy while they were implementing SAP. They were on the last leg of the project and had a lot of catching up to do. The people at Xcel Energy are great and were always willing to help. I learned a lot from my internship with Xcel.

Cons

Honestly, none. Excellent company and people.

Advice to Management

Interns are given so many opportunities to learn about the company and network with interns from different departments. Keep up the good work, I only have good things to say about this company.

"Worst company culture I've ever experienced"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Stable job in a regulated industry.
    + Decent 401k & pension packages for Full-time employees.

Cons

Xcel Energy will forever stand out to me as a traditional top-down, shareholder/executive, suit held company with its bottom line always being it's ROI—not the environment, customers, or our communities as they'd like to have you believe via their public facade. As others have mentioned, the corporate culture here is hostile, negative and incredibly stale; This has been a known issue internally for a while now as the company itself was undergoing a corporate "culture change initiative" during my time there.

There's a huge problem with nepotism and hierarchies embedded within the company. To be promoted and to retain your position once you're hired you need to appease and align yourself with the ‘right people’ even if they're completely inept or unlikable. Promotions aren't frequent, and there is limited advancement as most positions are reserved for someone's relative or friend regardless of their abilities, skills or educational background. Because of this, some people get by doing less than others with the same title/position/compensation while others are forced to do all the work out of fear of losing their job. There's absolutely no correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities.

- Slow and bureaucratic through and through. Adapting very poorly to millennials work environment.

- Disingenuous leadership. Senior leaders give the pretense of cooperation but are generally unwilling to work together.

- Management is there solely for the advancement of their own careers. They are egomaniacs and couldn’t care less about lower level representative, assistant, or associate employees. Most spent their workdays in pointless meetings in private offices trying to politically outmaneuver one another to capture as much corporate real estate as they could.

- Teams/Departments are competitive rather than collaborative. There is very poor cross-departmental communication and little respect for each department's role. Contractors are viewed and treated as being inferior to full-time employees and are not given benefits, sick days, or holidays off.

- Speaking of sick days, Xcel offers its full-time employees a horrible high deductible healthcare coverage through Medica with prescriptions through Express Scripts. You better be saving in your HSA because you’ll need it.

- IT and the Business Systems department is 5-10 years behind the times. Computers and internal networks are incredibly slow. Business processes don't make any sense. The company headquarters didn't even have employee Wi-Fi until the relocation to the new HQ in 2016, something standard pretty much everywhere else almost a decade ago.

Advice to Management

1. Recognize and take care of the notable talent that lies below your management level. Provide career opportunities to the younger generation, give them a reason to stay. I've kept in contact with all the skillful and bright young coworkers I developed professional relationships with while working at Xcel and all have since left for greener pastures.

2. Modernize and streamline your business processes and technology.

3. Have a more rigorous evaluation process for management. The company has too many incompetent, narcissistic people just riding out the same jobs they had for the past 5+ years that their senior staffed mother or aunt got them.

"Finance Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Financial stability of the company and job security (regulated industry)

Cons

Corporate culture is very negative and stale. Because of the pension (not applicable to new hires) mediocre performers stay in the company for their entire career stewing over decade-long conflicts. The company is insanely political - to be promoted and (most importantly) retain your ground one needs to be aligned with powerful advocates all the way up the chain. The political wind often change as the company go through at least one reorg per year in order to divvy up the empire based on the flavor of the day i.e. who are the most powerful favorites and their cronies. It is also very backward company in terms of technology, workforce diversity and promoting minorities. The fairy tales they tell you on their website are exactly what they are - fairly tales.

5. "Xcel Energy review"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Great benefits including a pension

Cons

Some departments have bad management

"More than a decade working at utilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a stable place to work, and you could probably hold onto a job indefinitely.

Cons

There was no movement in the division I worked in. The work was complex with plenty of challenges to work on, but most management was only interested in the status quo.

Advice to Management

Build teams and encourage cross-team collaboration. Try to look at the small arena you manage as a piece of a much larger puzzle and invite your team to understand how you believe the team can work together to make a larger impact.

7. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of room to advance, they notice and reward hard workers.

Cons

The hiring process is long and with so many retirements it leaves a lot of work on others.

Advice to Management

Change the hiring process, especially to make it go smoother internally.

"I was fortunate to have 5 different roles, which gave me great experience and launched my career."

Former Employee - Finance Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The industry is very challenging and very dynamic, creating opportunities to be innovative and to learn and grow. Employees are bright and collaborative.

Cons

There is a glass ceiling for women; the senior leadership team is not collaborative but rather competitive; and the company is focused on hiring younger staff.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to be more collaborative and supportive. Newer is not always better!

"Awful"

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Some good people to work with.

Cons

Nuclear is full of just plain awful managers. Xcel is recognized by the industry as being among the very worst performers nuclear operating companies. How bad the work environment is is recognized by the industry and is supposed to be improved... but management isn't really on board. Management is the problem and their desire to address issues is simply lip service.

Advice to Management

Quit. You are the problem.

"Decent place to work"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Positive working atmosphere, good people to work with, pays and benefits

Cons

limited advancement, big company and easy to get lost, poor management