Xcel Energy 247 Reviews | Glassdoor

Xcel Energy Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Slow to change until its a problem (in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 5 reviews)

1. "Control Specialist"

Former Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Very good total compensation benefit package. 401k and pension starts the day you are hired on as full time for non-exempt. Offers many opportunities to move up and around the company.

Cons

Due to high turnover at mid management, relations between laborers and supervisors is strained.

Advice to Management

Offer comparable compensation to attract and retain quality management!

2. "Senior network Architcure lead Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Network Architcure Lead Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Network Architcure Lead Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology wise are little behind

Cons

Planning to grow technology side in the future

3. "Great environment to work in"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Welch, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely inclusive environment. Everyone is friendly, and willing to help. There's a lot to learn, so I couldn't imagine it ever getting boring. And the company treats its employees so well.

Cons

There are a lot of differeny processes to learn and qualifications to get. It is a fun job, but be prepared to continue going to classes and taking tests

Advice to Management

None

5. "Good people, beaurocratic w/ expected corporate politics"

Pros

-Legit movement toward clean energy generation; they're an industry leader.
    -From my experience, there is no micromanaging
    -Flexible work schedules. Get the work done.
    -Good pay
    -Can move around between departments

Cons

-Slow moving bureaucracy
    -Siloed; everyone is focused on their independent goals and few see the bigger picture
    -meaningful work
    -Politics. But that's corporate america for you

Advice to Management

Better communication; don't be so hierarchical

"scheduler"

Former Employee - Project Scheduler in Northglenn, CO
    Former Employee - Project Scheduler in Northglenn, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

17 years - loved my job

Cons

New management did not try to work with existing employees. Choose to fire everyone and hire new. Bragged about doing this. Did not want to work for such mean people.

7. "Operations"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Pay scale is comparable to other companies and good benefits.

Cons

Shift work and turn over rates to other departments.

"Good pay, older culture"

Current Employee - Senior Communications Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy (More than a year)

Pros

It's stable, good pay guaranteed. The people that work here are also some of the nicest you'll meet in your life and will go out of their way to make you successful.

Cons

It's an older culture but that's because it's a utility...change is slow in the industry and that's reflected in the corporate culture.

9. "Call center rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid training, employee incentives to do better (i.e. gift cards, contests) The challenge of customer service if you're into that sort of thing, the supervisors and agents are wonderful in encouragement and will help you if you ask

Cons

Very stressful when it comes to talking to customers, impossible and often double standards when it comes to performance, for example agents are supposed to keep in control of the call so that it doesn't end up being long and drawn out but agents are told to let the caller rant on and if a caller interrupts the agent, it's the agent who has to shut up. The policies on how things are to be done keep changing. Although I was ranked among the top 50 agents from all 3 call centers, I still felt like a number or a trained monkey. They do try to show employee appreciation but those gestures were few and far between. Also you're supposed to get help with job stress on your own time but they expect you to work regardless of how you feel. To me jobs that cause so much stress that they can't keep their best people really need to do more in house when it comes to stress management. I could go on with the cons but call center work isn't for everyone. I gave it my best shot.

Advice to Management

Focus on more ways to make the job easier and less stressful for the agent. Incorporate stress management and relaxation tips not only into the new hire training but make it part of each agent's shift. Give more help when it comes to assertiveness and confidence training. Use your employees strengths and don't try to change them into someone they're not. So much effort is put into employee physical health in house in the form of exercise rooms but very little is done to help with emotional and mental health.

10. "Maintenance Supervisor"

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Super employer for veterans with great support for Reservist and guard.

Cons

Seems to be a lot of the good ol' boys club when it comes to upper management jobs. HORRENDOUS at posting jobs for vacated positions (retired, quit, etc...)

Advice to Management

Never leave a job open for over a year. And if you want your employees to remain loyal, make sure you over communicate with LEGITAMITE reasons why a posting has not gone up if it has been gapped for more than 3 months.

11. "Full time"

Former Employee - Engineering in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work with.

Cons

Too much work sometimes but easy.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities