Xero Reviews | Glassdoor

Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Middle management micromanaged sales team" (in 15 reviews)

• "Still experiencing some growing pains, but none that it can't handle" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Xero is the kind of company that, when you are willing to work hard, will always go the extra mile for you. I've had a few different situations, one of which was strictly personal, where Xero was willing to accomodate me and went out of their way to help me. I can approach an executive with an idea, and be listened to. Almost everyone at the company knows this is a team effort, just be respectful and people will help.

Cons

There isn't really much to say in terms of negatives. There is a little bit of the startup feel with the fast paced changes sometimes, but that's not really a negative, just good to know if you don't like that type of thing. The company isn't perfect, but I've worked for quite a few and this is about as close as it gets if you are respectful and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to people all the way down the chain, especially those at the bottom, don't get stuck in an echo chamber. This really hasn't been a problem so far, but it can happen quickly. Thank you for supporting your employees.

Mar 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We strive to create an environment where employees are excited to come in work, feel empowered to share their ideas, and have great work/life balance. I’m so... More

2. "The hardest part of my day is deciding which poke place to walk to"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment. Top notch office. Everyone is super laid back. Everyone’s nice. Tons of good talent and intelligent people all over the place. All the best tools to do your job. Super collaborative. And of course, free food.

Cons

It’s a growing company. You can get overwhelmed pretty easily by how much is changing and going on all at once. But all successful startups are like this at first. It’s never smooth but you can tell the trajectory is good.

Advice to Management

Acquiring and developing talent should be the biggest focus. Go out and get amazing people from all over instead of bringing in acquaintances from past roles. Keep promoting from within and develop talent internally. This will keep the culture in a good spot. You can tell the company is on cusp of something big so keep it going. Consistency.

Oct 15, 2018

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Our goal is always to give our employees the tools they need to do the best work of their lives, and I’m glad to hear this has reflected in your experience... More

3. "Enjoyable place to work"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work with genuinely good people; people who you can hang out with at and after work.

It hasn't been this way in the past, but the Denver office is growing in scope so I expect there to be lots of future opportunities for career growth within the company.

Cons

There are grumblings about Xero becoming too corporate-y. In my opinion, it's just a personal tolerance. Xero is becoming a mature company so if you want a super fast -paced "break things" type startup, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep building out the work scope of the Denver office; it will make for a more vibrant office.

"Was a great company to work for when they were smaller. They are no longer a startup, they are now corporate."

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people below management are absolutely the best thing about this company. So many great, smart and fun people working hard to keep things going.

Cons

Management has lost all sense of the values of the company. Especially the #human value.

Advice to Management

Stop touting a small start up vibe and stop slinging around the company values if you aren't going to follow them yourself. Too much deception which ruins your trustworthiness.

5. "Company Recently allowed an International Graduate Student With an infringe profile to settle"

Pros

Quick Hiring with Visa.

Cons

Not safe as a proper Background check not carried out of certain graduate students.

Advice to Management

Please be advised to do a proper background check on certain International Graduate students while recruiting.

Oct 3, 2018

Thank you for thoughts. Unfortunately, the information you’ve shared here isn’t accurate. We pride ourselves with hiring amazing people, and we use a thorough and consistent interview and background... More

"Product Manager"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, fun events, company is trying to provide additional benefits for employees like training etc.

Cons

environments is not very collaborative, top heavy, lack of autonomy, very political. your success depends on how well you know the people in New Zealand

7. "Aeful"

Pros

Benefits was really good to have

Cons

Communication is not the key here

"Current Employee"

Pros

Growing company. Great culture. If you’re good with having to be adaptive this is the place to be!

Cons

Alignment at times is off.

Advice to Management

Ensure top down strategies align with bottom up goals.

"Age discrimination."

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, monthly birthday party.

Cons

Starting around early 2017 they seemed to systematically start getting rid of older employees who were good workers. 50 and above seems to be the target age. They’d then replace them with new hires in their mid 20s. Is it a cost savings move? I honestly don’t know for sure. It became obvious when a long time employee was fired for no apparent reason a month after their 50th birthday.

It’s like the movie Logan’s Run. Don’t even bother applying if you’re over 40. The CEO and founder even ‘resigned’ just around his 50th

Advice to Management

Learn to value wisdom and experience.

Jul 30, 2018

Thank you for your perspective. The data (the demographics of who is joining and leaving Xero) just doesn’t support your perception. Every role attracts a different type of person, with different... More

"CX group"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Lunch and breakfast once a week
    People
    Casual

Cons

No work from home, hard to grow if you don't want to move overseas

Advice to Management

Train and grow your employees more in the US