Xero Reviews | Glassdoor

Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Overly middle management political (in 14 reviews)

• Still experiencing some growing pains, but none that it can't handle (in 11 reviews)

1. "Exciting place to work, especially with all the investment in great leadership."

Pros

Great culture and creative, interesting and dynamic work.

Cons

None at the present moment

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the strategy and plans so we can be as engaged with the goals as possible

2. "CX group"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Lunch and breakfast once a week
    People
    Casual

Cons

No work from home, hard to grow if you don't want to move overseas

Advice to Management

Train and grow your employees more in the US

"Only New Zealand employees matter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, casual atmosphere. Snacks, drinks, lunches.

Cons

Environment changes quickly. Hasty decisions are made and US employees opinions are not taken seriously.

Advice to Management

You are wasting some excellent talent in the United States. Learn to appreciate their abilities.

"Good atmosphere, low pay and lacking some direction"

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

This is probably the most exciting company to work for if you want to be in the accounting or financial industry. Casual work environment and lots of cool stuff. However, it's a company that is certainly having issues growing here in the United States. It seems that the company is still incredibly focused on providing direction from New Zealand, which makes things a little difficult in the U.S. Almost all of the major players in the company are from New Zealand and Australia and it seems as if the U.S. is not a priority. Even the expense reports have to get approved in New Zealand!

However, the company culture is very inviting and everyone is friendly. The average age of the employees here is probably in the late 20s, so be careful if you're out of that age range. The company is still creating and trying to define roles, which means some people may have tons to do, while others are not that busy. There were times when I was so bored I had to ask for more work to keep busy.

If you're hired in other parts of the country, chances are you will get a company Mini-Cooper to drive. This only seems fair as the pay is much lower than similar jobs in this and other industries so it's a nice perk.

Cons

Lower pay than similar positions with other companies. Lacking directions

Advice to Management

It seems as if you keep trying new things, then pulling back on them when they haven't had time to work. What works in New Zealand isn't always going to transfer to the US.

May 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Xero! Glad to hear it’s been overall a positive one. We agree that the NZ, AU, UK and US markets are different. When we try best... More

"Great place to work if you live in Australia or New Zealand, not so good in the US"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Growing globally
    Great exec leadership in the US
    High potential for growth in the US although Intuit is the 800 pound gorilla.

Cons

Average salaries
    Growing slowly in the USA
    Poor engineering practices and system architecture
    No open t diverse work styles
    Overly middle management political
    Mediocre executive management
    Big company fiefdom building is a real problem that needs to be addressed
    Hiring practices leave a lot to be desired. Withdrawing offers and leaving great people hanging is not a good way to conduct business.

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity in work styles.
    Value the customer and good architecture and design needed to support them over politics.
    Encourage growth internally, but not at the expense of the customer.

"If you promote everyone to be a manager, who is left to do the work?"

Former Employee - Curriculum Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Curriculum Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, and I mean *fantastic* customers, which makes Xero. If you’re in the right team, collaboration and mutual respect is there and makes it a great, positive and productive working environment.

Cons

In my 2.5 years at Xero I saw a lot of structural change, which was always fine, because in the US we were trying (and they still are) to find footing in the market. But put a hold on layoffs, there are so many great people who were forced out... when they can’t performance review you out they make up something. It was sad to see such a negative change in working environment in the last year or so. The #human became a bunch of baloney and that’s sad, because for me at least, it was one of the best traits about Xero.

Advice to Management

Stop making everyone a manager. It’s not productive to talk things to death and end up with no actionable plan. You lose good people who believe in the product and the customers.

May 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on working at Xero. Promotions represent great opportunities for people to learn new skills, and stretch themselves. Sometimes this learning... More

7. "Customer service"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Great work experience, great leadership, great opportunities to advance. Great training experience.

Cons

Although it was a great training experience I feel as though they put you on the phone systems and expect you to be great right away and it wasn’t realistic.

Advice to Management

Doing mock calls and the real calls are nothing in the same.

"Potential to be great but held back by cultural identity discrepancies and inability to accept change"

I worked at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people and huge talent. Company came from roots where culture is key and there are still remnants left but quickly evaporating.

Cons

Poor regional leadership that is a misfit for the brand and culture. Leadership not accessible to employees with new ideas. Leadership not fully open to change and progress.

Advice to Management

Playbook needs to change. You say you want to be nimble like a start-up and compete but you let bureaucracy and corporate culture hold you back.

"Good coworkers, uphill battle"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

New Zealand culture in an SF office; flexible work hours; ideas and innovation valued

Cons

US business managed from NZ/Australia - management unfamiliar with US market's needs

"Hypocrisy and favoritism at it's finest."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch once a week, that's about it. CEO Rod Drury has been great. Bottom level teammates that do the bulk of the actual work are mostly great people but unhappy with leadership.

Cons

Despite being a global company with over a million customers now and existing for 12 years they try to pass themselves off as a hip young startup, they are nothing of the sort. Company culture and morale in the Denver office has taken a noise dive the past 2 years, especially after the original CX manage left. Xero is beginning to feel like a corporate behemoth like Xerox.

They're really big on promoting the company values, but don't actual adhere to them. Favoritism and nepotism are abound. If you're not part of the 'in' crowd don't expect any advancement ever. I've seen numerous people leave over the years due to this unfair and uncalled behavior. Moral on the floor is at an all time low the past few months. Lots of negative gossip happens everyday and get's people down.

The 'Team Leads' in the customer service department are inexperienced and inept, it shows everyday. One in particular is on a bipolar emotional rollercoaster and makes me dread coming into work everyday. I've already been applying for employment elsewhere and hope to be gone soon. It was a great place when I started but the constant turnover and out of touch management has really ruined things. At this point it's just a boring repetitive office job and I don't see how it can be fixed.

If you're looking for customer service/support related work in Denver I'd suggest you look elsewhere, there's plenty of better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

Accept the fact you're no longer a hip energetic startup but a lumbering corporate beast. I don't think it can ever be fixed at this point.

May 15, 2018

I’m very sorry to hear that this has been your experience working at Xero. If you haven’t already, I would strongly encourage you to speak with me or your PX Business Partner regarding the... More