Xero Reviews | Glassdoor

Xero CEO Steve Vamos
Steve Vamos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Overly middle management political" (in 14 reviews)

• "Still experiencing some growing pains, but none that it can't handle" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Xero is the kind of company that, when you are willing to work hard, will always go the extra mile for you. I've had a few different situations, one of which was strictly personal, where Xero was willing to accomodate me and went out of their way to help me. I can approach an executive with an idea, and be listened to. Almost everyone at the company knows this is a team effort, just be respectful and people will help.

Cons

There isn't really much to say in terms of negatives. There is a little bit of the startup feel with the fast paced changes sometimes, but that's not really a negative, just good to know if you don't like that type of thing. The company isn't perfect, but I've worked for quite a few and this is about as close as it gets if you are respectful and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to people all the way down the chain, especially those at the bottom, don't get stuck in an echo chamber. This really hasn't been a problem so far, but it can happen quickly. Thank you for supporting your employees.

Mar 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We strive to create an environment where employees are excited to come in work, feel empowered to share their ideas, and have great work/life balance. I’m so... More

2. "Exciting place to work, especially with all the investment in great leadership."

Pros

Great culture and creative, interesting and dynamic work.

Cons

None at the present moment

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the strategy and plans so we can be as engaged with the goals as possible

"Current Employee"

Pros

Growing company. Great culture. If you’re good with having to be adaptive this is the place to be!

Cons

Alignment at times is off.

Advice to Management

Ensure top down strategies align with bottom up goals.

"Age discrimination."

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, monthly birthday party.

Cons

Starting around early 2017 they seemed to systematically start getting rid of older employees who were good workers. 50 and above seems to be the target age. They’d then replace them with new hires in their mid 20s. Is it a cost savings move? I honestly don’t know for sure. It became obvious when a long time employee was fired for no apparent reason a month after their 50th birthday.

It’s like the movie Logan’s Run. Don’t even bother applying if you’re over 40. The CEO and founder even ‘resigned’ just around his 50th

Advice to Management

Learn to value wisdom and experience.

Jul 30, 2018

Thank you for your perspective. The data (the demographics of who is joining and leaving Xero) just doesn’t support your perception. Every role attracts a different type of person, with different... More

"CX group"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Lunch and breakfast once a week
    People
    Casual

Cons

No work from home, hard to grow if you don't want to move overseas

Advice to Management

Train and grow your employees more in the US

"Only New Zealand employees matter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, casual atmosphere. Snacks, drinks, lunches.

Cons

Environment changes quickly. Hasty decisions are made and US employees opinions are not taken seriously.

Advice to Management

You are wasting some excellent talent in the United States. Learn to appreciate their abilities.

"Good atmosphere, low pay and lacking some direction"

I have been working at Xero full-time

Pros

This is probably the most exciting company to work for if you want to be in the accounting or financial industry. Casual work environment and lots of cool stuff. However, it's a company that is certainly having issues growing here in the United States. It seems that the company is still incredibly focused on providing direction from New Zealand, which makes things a little difficult in the U.S. Almost all of the major players in the company are from New Zealand and Australia and it seems as if the U.S. is not a priority. Even the expense reports have to get approved in New Zealand!

However, the company culture is very inviting and everyone is friendly. The average age of the employees here is probably in the late 20s, so be careful if you're out of that age range. The company is still creating and trying to define roles, which means some people may have tons to do, while others are not that busy. There were times when I was so bored I had to ask for more work to keep busy.

If you're hired in other parts of the country, chances are you will get a company Mini-Cooper to drive. This only seems fair as the pay is much lower than similar jobs in this and other industries so it's a nice perk.

Cons

Lower pay than similar positions with other companies. Lacking directions

Advice to Management

It seems as if you keep trying new things, then pulling back on them when they haven't had time to work. What works in New Zealand isn't always going to transfer to the US.

May 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Xero! Glad to hear it’s been overall a positive one. We agree that the NZ, AU, UK and US markets are different. When we try best... More

"Great place to work if you live in Australia or New Zealand, not so good in the US"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Growing globally
    Great exec leadership in the US
    High potential for growth in the US although Intuit is the 800 pound gorilla.

Cons

Average salaries
    Growing slowly in the USA
    Poor engineering practices and system architecture
    No open t diverse work styles
    Overly middle management political
    Mediocre executive management
    Big company fiefdom building is a real problem that needs to be addressed
    Hiring practices leave a lot to be desired. Withdrawing offers and leaving great people hanging is not a good way to conduct business.

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity in work styles.
    Value the customer and good architecture and design needed to support them over politics.
    Encourage growth internally, but not at the expense of the customer.

"If you promote everyone to be a manager, who is left to do the work?"

Former Employee - Curriculum Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Curriculum Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, and I mean *fantastic* customers, which makes Xero. If you’re in the right team, collaboration and mutual respect is there and makes it a great, positive and productive working environment.

Cons

In my 2.5 years at Xero I saw a lot of structural change, which was always fine, because in the US we were trying (and they still are) to find footing in the market. But put a hold on layoffs, there are so many great people who were forced out... when they can’t performance review you out they make up something. It was sad to see such a negative change in working environment in the last year or so. The #human became a bunch of baloney and that’s sad, because for me at least, it was one of the best traits about Xero.

Advice to Management

Stop making everyone a manager. It’s not productive to talk things to death and end up with no actionable plan. You lose good people who believe in the product and the customers.

May 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on working at Xero. Promotions represent great opportunities for people to learn new skills, and stretch themselves. Sometimes this learning... More

10. "Customer service"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Great work experience, great leadership, great opportunities to advance. Great training experience.

Cons

Although it was a great training experience I feel as though they put you on the phone systems and expect you to be great right away and it wasn’t realistic.

Advice to Management

Doing mock calls and the real calls are nothing in the same.