Xero Reviews | Glassdoor

Xero CEO Rod Drury
Rod Drury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Still experiencing some growing pains, but none that it can't handle (in 11 reviews)

• Middle management is not inspiring and their attempts to motivate can sometimes feel fake (in 11 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Xero is the kind of company that, when you are willing to work hard, will always go the extra mile for you. I've had a few different situations, one of which was strictly personal, where Xero was willing to accomodate me and went out of their way to help me. I can approach an executive with an idea, and be listened to. Almost everyone at the company knows this is a team effort, just be respectful and people will help.

Cons

There isn't really much to say in terms of negatives. There is a little bit of the startup feel with the fast paced changes sometimes, but that's not really a negative, just good to know if you don't like that type of thing. The company isn't perfect, but I've worked for quite a few and this is about as close as it gets if you are respectful and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to people all the way down the chain, especially those at the bottom, don't get stuck in an echo chamber. This really hasn't been a problem so far, but it can happen quickly. Thank you for supporting your employees.

"Lots of potential!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment in SF and the PX/HR team really tries hard to make it a fun place to work.

Cons

Managers are untrained and don’t know how to really motivate and support their teams. The SF office also feels more like a satellite office and needs to feel important. Employee goals are pretty non-existent and don’t tie to overall company goals so your job can feel disconnected to what’s important at HQ. Middle management is not inspiring and their attempts to motivate can sometimes feel fake. So much turnover happened in SF in 2017, which really impacted morale.

Advice to Management

Need a stronger culture and management in SF to really motivate and inspire the teams to do the best job of their lives.

3. "Product Team"

Current Employee - Product Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Xero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people are smart, anyone who has been here for more than 2 years is considered to have a lifetime of institutional knowledge, great work life balance, interesting and complex product

Cons

there is no documented roadmap or strategy, the regional products are not in sync, the US product was severely under scoped, it's difficult to understand why certain work efforts/resources are allocated they way they are, there are serious employee retention issues, it's 90% male

Advice to Management

commit to a roadmap and a strategy, hire senior leaders who know how to manage and develop their people, develop a career path for the talent, make a significant effort to hire more women to balance out the gender gap

4. "Great culture!"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

Great culture, with fun, smart people.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth in all departments.

"Politics will kill Xero"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Xero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and the company has a great vision and great design. Rod carries the company forward beyond a lot of antiquated practices of tech companies in NZ and AU. Has a great chance of becoming the global accounting system most businesses will choose.

Cons

With HQ in NZ, most product work happening in AU, and forward operating offices in UK and US, there is a lack of communication and an air of animosity from those in the "mothership" region of NZ and AU. If you work in the US and try to get cooperation from your counterparts in NZ and AU, they are probably ignoring you, being snarky, and wondering why Xero is paying some idiot in the US who clearly doesn't know what they're doing. This is because in the NZ - AU region Xero has exploded and employees there have a huge sense of self importance. Meanwhile in the US Xero must strive to act as a startup and meet this market's needs with agility. The pattern is that the company keeps firing it's US teams for not delivering results while the root of the issue is that the teams in NZ and AU don't want to put any work into what will win the U.S. market. Classic innovators dilemma to reinvest in your big growing market, and let the much bigger, harder to crack market, languish. This is why I titled this review "Politics will kill Xero". If Xero can't figure this out they may not make headway in the U.S. and some other upstart will do the work necessary to win the U.S. There is no shortage of people ready to try.

Advice to Management

Advice would be to take a look at the entire corporate structure which is consolidating power in the hands of personalities who are ready to block good work being done. Give the U.S. their own product teams (without firing them after a year) and the U.S. employees need a clear path to growth rather than knowing they will just do a bit of work and then be unable to move up because promotions only go to those in AU NZ.

"Too much in flux"

I worked at Xero full-time

Pros

New Zealand and Australia product teams have positive attitudes and care about the customer experience.

Cons

Product teams in the US have a long way to go in terms of being customer first. They're too deadline driven and sacrifice a lot of what really matters because they don't want to disrupt timelines- this is a classic product development mistake to make. They need to wake up.

Advice to Management

Xero needs to spend resources on innovating and not trying to keep up with competitors. It's more important than ever to address your lack of diversity in leadership and management- women and people of color should be represented in every department. Address it and take action on how you can be better. Write blogs, sponsor meet ups and conferences to show you're one of the good ones in Silicon Valley.

Nov 22, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective and advice. It’s been our unyielding focus on our customers and commitment to be at the forefront of innovation that has led to our growth... More

7. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Xero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has family Oriented working environment.

Cons

No cons as of now.

"Fast paced, fun, collaborative and purposeful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career paths for performance and for those who take active management of their career - a growing company creates opportunity.
    Working with some amazing colleagues both in regional and global roles.
    Collaborative, limited hierarchy in how things get done - can mean ambiguity often, and if you can work with that you'll love it.
    So much potential as a company

Cons

It's not for everyone and it moves fast and things change - I love that but some people don't.

Nov 13, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience working at Xero. I agree, the work at Xero can be very fast-paced as we continue to grow and expand! We’re proud to create a workspace that allows... More

"decent company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero (Less than a year)

Pros

nice office, international of NZ company is evident. advocates are excited about the software.

Cons

NZ involvement slows adjustment to US market needs. too often selling the promise of a new release while being penalized by churn.

Advice to Management

none. good luck

"Sales Boot Camp"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced constantly changing environment gives you the opportunity to grow rapidly as a professional and get lots of experience. If you put your head down and work hard there's a nice career path in sales.

Cons

As in any fast-paced high-growth environment, there are lots of changes and turnover happens. This can create emotional lows and take a toll on culture, but it always goes back to normal in no time.

Advice to Management

Make hiring/firing decision faster and continue promoting collaboration and understanding between marketing and sales teams. Overall, management and C-level is doing a fine job.

Oct 30, 2017 – VP US People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to feedback! It's great to hear that there is a nice career path in sales, and that's proving true. I hear you, change and the pace of change here can be fast and our focus... More