Xero Reviews | Glassdoor

Xero CEO Rod Drury
Rod Drury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • With any company who is growing as fast as Xero there are growing pains but nothing that can't and won't get better and better (in 11 reviews)

• Insecure managers and unfortunate middle management is starting to creep in (in 9 reviews)

1. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Xero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has family Oriented working environment.

Cons

No cons as of now.

"Fast paced, fun, collaborative and purposeful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career paths for performance and for those who take active management of their career - a growing company creates opportunity.
    Working with some amazing colleagues both in regional and global roles.
    Collaborative, limited hierarchy in how things get done - can mean ambiguity often, and if you can work with that you'll love it.
    So much potential as a company

Cons

It's not for everyone and it moves fast and things change - I love that but some people don't.

Nov 13, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience working at Xero. I agree, the work at Xero can be very fast-paced as we continue to grow and expand! We’re proud to create a workspace that allows... More

3. "decent company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero (Less than a year)

Pros

nice office, international of NZ company is evident. advocates are excited about the software.

Cons

NZ involvement slows adjustment to US market needs. too often selling the promise of a new release while being penalized by churn.

Advice to Management

none. good luck

"Sales Boot Camp"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced constantly changing environment gives you the opportunity to grow rapidly as a professional and get lots of experience. If you put your head down and work hard there's a nice career path in sales.

Cons

As in any fast-paced high-growth environment, there are lots of changes and turnover happens. This can create emotional lows and take a toll on culture, but it always goes back to normal in no time.

Advice to Management

Make hiring/firing decision faster and continue promoting collaboration and understanding between marketing and sales teams. Overall, management and C-level is doing a fine job.

Oct 30, 2017 – VP US People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to feedback! It's great to hear that there is a nice career path in sales, and that's proving true. I hear you, change and the pace of change here can be fast and our focus... More

"Software Development Internship Review"

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xero (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture and work hours are great and very flexible. The employees love to talk to the interns and treat us the same. My manager was very attentive to my progress and would always be open to chat. You learn a lot about industry level software development and deployment.

Cons

Intern compensation is quite low compared to other companies in the Bay Area, would not recommend if you also need housing (there was no transportation or housing subsidy). The employees I reported to did not have well structured goals for the software interns at the beginning of the internship, but it got better later.

Advice to Management

Intern salary needs to be higher, or Xero will not be as competitive as other companies.

Nov 13, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Xero. We’re proud that Xero has such an inclusive culture, and managers who are actively involved in employee progress! We really appreciate... More

"Good environment. A few disgruntled employees."

Current Employee - Accounting Support Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accounting Support Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and perks. Catered meals twice a week, 3 weeks vacation, 401k and RSU options. Overall a great place to work with really awesome people. Very transparent leadership who are open to feedback and new ideas. Opportunities to grow laterally in other parts of the business.

Cons

This is specific to Customer Experience. Not much opportunity for growth within. Upper management sits on the other side of the planet and this causes confusion over how things are managed in the US. This causes issues for some employees and they share and spread this among others, makes for a bad environment that many have chosen to walk away from.

Never experienced any cons in regards to other parts of the company.

Advice to Management

Value your people and not your ever so slightly more and more corporate structure. Don't let people who care about their work and do a good job walk away. Create an environment where unhappy employees can be open about their issues, instead of one where they internalize and spew it over everyone else.

Nov 3, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback and it’s always good to hear about our the great culture, people, opportunities for growth, and perks at Xero. But it’s really important to us that all Xeros, no matter what... More

7. "Exciting place to work"

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growth company
    Great work environment. Take care of their staff. Actively encourage work life balance.

Cons

Lots of change as the company grows and sets up processes.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in growing your people and managers. The M@X (managing @ Xero) training is a great start.

Be more transparent in thinking around strategy.

Nov 3, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks very much for your feedback, particularly about the great working environment, feeling supported, and having a work life balance as these are really important to us. We are rapidly growing as... More

"Lots of hype, little substance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Xero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can cruise and no one seems to actually work here. Lots of just 'making work' but little that actually matters. So if you want to come along and get paid a lot to do a little you'd do well here.

Cons

No leadership. Leadership thinks that flying in and out and showing your face once in a while is leadership, no that's management.

Advice to Management

Bring in some real leaders, nothing is going to change with the current lot. Everyone is very 'nice' but no one has the bravery to stand up for the business in light of bad decisions being made at global.

Oct 18, 2017 – VP US People Operations

I am sorry that your experience at Xero was less than positive, we work really hard to create an environment where people can do the best work of their lives. As a fast growing company we take... More

9. "Support"

Current Employee - Support in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Support in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company prides itself on positive culture, meals every week, food, coffee, tea available all the time. Ping Pong table, friendly environment. CEO and US President rock!

Cons

rare ability to work from home

Advice to Management

Working from home from time to time would be nice

Nov 6, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience with Xero and our leadership team! Providing a healthy work-life balance for employees is very important to us. Due to the collaborative... More

"Once a great place to work, the recent turnover and lack of upper management support has left the moral extremely low."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Xero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Xero has a great office ambience, and catered breakfast/lunch two days a week. Upper management is also easily reached via email if needed.

Cons

Middle management within the organization have no leadership training, which is shown by their micromanaging, adolescent management style, and unfair treatment/favoritism.

Nov 7, 2017 – Talent Experience Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Xero. We are proud of our beautiful work spaces, and creating an environment that employees want to come into every day. We agree we could... More