Xerox Reviews in Rochester, NY | Glassdoor

Xerox Rochester Reviews

Updated February 12, 2017

Rochester, NY

Pros
Cons
  • poor work/life balance for first line/middle managers, medium to low compensation compared to same level competitors (in 89 reviews)

• There are no raises even if you change positions (in 193 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, NY

Pros

Very flexible! Nice friend environment and employees. Ability to work from home. Lots of great experience and opportunity to be apart of business meetings and see what they are about.

Cons

Not enough direction! Sometimes thing were unclear and after you finished with a project is when you received direction and input for change.

Advice to Management

Provide interns with more direction and support.

"Time is an Extinction Level Event"

Former Employee - Vice President in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in Rochester, NY

I worked at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A rich historical tapestry, woven into the fabric of 20th century American popular culture - where even after years of decline, the mere mention of the name "Xerox" will evoke a nostalgic twinge of crisp white shirts, horned rimmed glasses and doing what it takes to win and retain customers.

Cons

But it's just vapor, a memory, like the smell of smoke in a room that's not seen a cigarette - nor a human occupant - for a decade. The "go getters" have long since retired and moved on to greener pastures - so the people who remain - who believe they are guardians of the legacy - are simply pretenders to the throne.
    Like the inhabitants of Europe in Medieval Times, they hold no loyalty to nation-Xerox - they've sworn blood oaths of allegiance to parochial chieftains, who’ve cobbled together primitive corporate tribes. Ruling with an iron fist wrapped in glove woven in equal parts fear and unpredictability, these “thought-leaders” envelope themselves in paper and pitiable process, insulating themselves from the realities of the outside world.
    Like medieval wanderers, their subjects sometimes happen across evidence of the great civilization that came before...a more advanced, incredibly strong people that vanished - and they are bemused as a Visigoth would be in front of the majesty of a vast Roman aqueduct.
    For like after the fall of the Roman Empire - where the knowledge to make concrete was lost for 1000 years - the inhabitants of the present-day Xerox have lost the knowledge to innovate, to create, to excel at what was once deemed improbable or even impossible. And I say "knowledge" not "ability" - as using the phrase "lost the ability" would infer that the ability was once a present to begin with.
    When walking through the cavernous, empty halls or deserted, dusty laboratories, one sometimes hears the whispers of those who came before emanating from someone who has vague recollections of a time period they never lived in but heard about. Speaking in a language something akin to "tongues", these unfortunate souls look at Xerox as it could be and ask "Why not?" Invariably, these holders of these mere strings of truth are quickly set upon by ravenous marauders, who beat into submission (with Six Sigma manuals and three hour internal non-customer facing process Webex meetings) these unfortunate souls whose only sin was to dare to dream of what once was and could be again.

Advice to Management

Can the patient be saved? There's no magic elixir for what ails Xerox. These infection has taken hold, has spread through the vitals and now resides in sinew and bone. Alas, what can save Xerox is the only thing it doesn't seem to possess - the will to live. Prove me wrong, Xerox...live!

3. "Sales Operations"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Rochester, NY

I worked at Xerox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, nice co workers.

Cons

Not much advancement opportunity. Data infrastructure is a mess. Stuck in their ways.

Advice to Management

Improve strategic alignment

5. "End of an Era"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Not many any more. Was a great company in the past with great leaders, who are all gone now. All we have is our strong name.

Cons

Xerox is so confused and has no direction because all management cares about is making the most money for themselves and maximizing their bonuses, which are not earned because they miss all of their targets.

Advice to Management

Management needs to assess strategy and direction of the company and reinvest in employees, minimize confusing and too complex processes, increase training, and stop the wholesale spread of jobs to Guatamela.

"Xerox Corporation"

Current Employee - Marketing Director, Workflow Automation Solutions in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, Leading Company in our field, respected Legacy

Cons

Company will be split into two, separate companies. We may not be able to successfully execute this new strategy...

Advice to Management

Integrate our Services and Document Technology businesses, instead of separating them

"Life as a Xeroid"

Current Employee - Quota, Coverage and Compensation Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Quota, Coverage and Compensation Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Xerox is very family friendly. I have had the flexibility to work in the office, work from home, and be there for my growing family anytime they need me.

Cons

The current state of the company has morale very low. We don't have the sense of job security, and many jobs have been off-shored, or eliminated, leaving many of my peers without a job.

Advice to Management

A business needs to be profitable, yes, but I truly feel that giving employees the stability and positive environment they need to work in, you will get GREAT RETURN!!!

8. "Audit Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Internal Audit in Rochester, NY

Pros

I have no pros to mention.

Cons

The audit projects selected by the CAE do not match the outcomes of the annual risk assessments, ERM, Legal, and do not add any real value to the business.

9. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Rochester, NY

I worked at Xerox (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start a career. Exposure to tools and technologies

Cons

Less compensation. May be good for starters but not for experienced.

10. "Great people, poor company vision"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rochester, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rochester, NY

I worked at Xerox as a contractor

Pros

A lot of the people I worked with were friendly, bright and helpful. Occasionally you ran across some bad apples.
    The work could be interesting at times and people always knew the company you worked for.

Cons

The Unionized plant had more bad apples than good.
    Corporate Leadership didn't believe in manufacturing as a long term strategy.

Advice to Management

Don't loose focus on your history

11. "Disappointing Consulting assignment....."

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Xerox as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Xerox is a long established company, with may integrated applications. I learned a lot working on the projects I did. There are so many great people working there! I was in a nice group - always willing to help those newbies if needed.

Cons

I was very excited when I was first hired by Xerox . But, my experience..

Software development lifecycle is ancient, flying in the face of the newer methodologies.
    Projects are very slow moving.
    Consultants are treated like second-class citizens, being moved from project to project; I had to fight to keep my morale up.
    Supervisors were not around much if you need to talk.

Advice to Management

Ditch the over-documentation laden software lifecycle and streamline down.

Treat consultants like one of the team - not like a pair of old shoes to be tossed in the corner. There were many talented consulants there when I was there!

Showing 205 of 5,288 reviews