Xilinx Reviews in Boulder, CO | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov
Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Good corporate values and work/life balance for most organizations that I've observed (in 78 reviews)

• Good benefits, friendly people, interesting work (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Mediocre pay, less transferable skills & poor work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• No career growth, no idea when senior management will close the site for another low cost center (in 27 reviews)

1. "Sr application engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While I was there, Flexible hours and good middle management. The profit sharing was also nice. Some cool technology and conference trips

Cons

While I was there no 401kmatch, they said no layoffs and then a month later there was a massive layoff which the savings where given to the executives as bonuses

Advice to Management

Things changed significantly when moshe became CEO, when I left things felt to be going in the wrong direction. The bottom line doesn't matter if you treat people badly

"Sr Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cool, leading-edge tech, engineering-centric culture, decent benefits, good & great coworkers, lots of smart folks, international teams.

Cons

Brain-dead policies of laying off well-rated & qualified people/teams after their projects are finished, specially targeting workers with long seniority and at remote sites. Usually followed by immediate openings for positions these people could have stepped into immediately. No hesitation moving jobs to Singapore and India to (questionably) save on software development costs.

Advice to Management

How about a simple cost-benefit analysis of laying-off engineers then finding and training new ones (often taking nearly a year to reach full productivity) vs. moving existing engineers to new projects.

3. "Wasn't qualified to work here"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Longmont, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They take care of their employees and everyone seems genuinely happy. Work load isn't overwhelming

Cons

You quickly become an assumed expert when you had zero training. I wasn't qualified to work here my background knowledge wasn't the correct fit for my roll.

Advice to Management

Vague interview questions will get you vague answers. The right interview questions need to be asked.

"Just a failure to communicate"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

Pros

Engaging work on hard problems virtually every day, and doing so for a company that always seemed poised for rapid growth.

Cons

Management believed that it needed to play things close to the vest, so changes in direction were unexpected, and often poorly informed by ground truth. As a result, there was much empire-building and turf-protection by middle management. There was rarely a perception by people in the bottom half of the company that everyone was on the same page (even when it was true!).

What was worst, though, was that much of the conflict seemed to be the result of false drama, created because the CEO, who had copies of the management classic "Who Moved My Cheese?" passed around after his arrival, seemed to take as his personal goal to "move people's cheese," not because it was necessary, but because he could.

Advice to Management

Imposed change is only useful when it solves a problem, or anticipates a problem successfully. Otherwise, constant disruption makes it impossible to plan more than a few weeks out. While this is "agile", agile only works if you start with a working product, and are clear at each step what changes in product behavior will result from the next iteration of expected behavior.

"Still Happy After All These Years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm one of the current employees who is exceptionally pleased since Moshe joined the company. We made difficult business decisions and cut a lot of cancer out of our midst. Some good ones were lost as collateral damage, too but what is left is a far more cohesive unit that is executing very well. Not perfect, but very well.

Exceptional technology
    Fantastic people

Cons

Driven by the bottom (financial) line - but then who isn't?
    We also need to really improve the career mobility and opportunities for lateral moves to keep things interesting. If you find and like your niche you are golden - but if you are the type of person that needs change regularly you will find that upward and lateral movement requires a good deal of drive and commitment on your own part to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Improve accuracy in sales forecasting for making investments and business decisions

"Not So Great Anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Pros

It was a company that was growing with lots of money in the bank, and was aggressively going after market share. FPGA is an in-demand product. Good customer support.

Cons

After Moshe Gavrielov became the CEO, Xilinx ceased to care about its employees. There were many layoffs, whereas with the former CEO, there were none. It became an unhealthy competitive environment pitting employee against employee.

Advice to Management

You don't need to create an environment of fear in order to motivate your employees.

"Very profitable company that is number one in a healthy industry"

Current Employee - Senior Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good mobility within company. Good salary and bonus. Good benefits. Flexible working hours

Cons

Layoffs sometimes appear not to be well thought out. Out sourcing is limiting some opportunity.

"Once very innovative, now very bureaucratic."

Former Employee - Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The technology is amazing, there are many challenges to face. They have good benefits, the stock purchase plan is excellent.

Cons

My boss was actually angry with me for doing something that would help the whole software group, because it was not on my goals. Goals are more important than productivity or innovation. They are cutting down on the ability to work from home, they want to be able to monitor you better.

Advice to Management

Consider the message you send with your endless paper pushing. Xilinx was once the leader in innovation. You can't fit innovation and your dead "measurable goals" into the same company. I was laid off, and I am VERY glad to be out. Unemployed is better than working at Xilinx!

9. "Great place to work !"

Current Employee - Embedded Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Embedded Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible! Competitive Salary! Great benefits! Challenging! Work/life balance! Dynamic!

Cons

Not many company events! Unexpected lay-offs!

10. "Software Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Mentor ship.Good work life balance.Beautiful campus.

Cons

Average Compensation.Need more challenging work. Stagnant growth.