Xilinx Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Xilinx San Jose Reviews

Updated August 7, 2017

San Jose, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good corporate values and work/life balance for most organizations that I've observed (in 78 reviews)

• Good benefits, friendly people, interesting work (in 32 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Intern - Integrated Marketing Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - Integrated Marketing Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are super friendly, campus is nice

Cons

Not as collaborative as other caompanies are nowadays

"sr staff engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think one of the highest benefit of working in Xilinx is that the company are stable and it does not have a lot of organization changes. Salary and stock benefit are decent for semiconductor company.

Cons

I do not like the high pressure in the environment. A lot of directors and vice presidents and they come constantly monitor progress and ask to pull in schedule. Outsourcing constrains headcount they hires in the U.S. and organization in the US does not grow.

Advice to Management

I would advice management to hire more engineers to do the work itself and promote less directors and VPs. Stop the outsourcing, it is demoralizing people.

"Lost Souls"

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

Pros

Leading technology, strong execution of products and projects

Cons

Management has zero vision. The company has been struggling to grow even as they have a wealth of technology and customer relationships that they have no clue how to weave into momentum. Their key competitor Altera out-manueruverd them to partner with Intel and move into the data center one of the brightest opportunities for growth. Very little trust of top management who continues to line their own pockets while intimidating the staff

Advice to Management

Bring in someone new to run the company.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Compensation is in line with the market.
    -Great work/life balance, if you complete your tasks and responsibilities, you have a great amount of freedom to take appointments, days off, leave early, or work from home if you like. I suppose this depends on the manager, but from what I have seen, this is fairly consistent throughout the organization.
    -Although organization is your typical corporate structure, it is very common to interact with very high level executives on a regular basis.
    -With the exception of some, everyone seems to work extremely hard and care about each other.
    -I love working for Xilinx and with some truly brilliant people.
    -Medical benefits are good
    -The ESPP although fairly standard in tech is amazing.
    -RSUs are granted almost semi-annually it seems which is amazing. This is a great way to give employees a vested interest in the companies success.
    -Generous vacation time, anyone employed over 1 year receives 17 paid vacation days that's 3.5 weeks!
    -Cafeteria (at San Jose headquarters) although not free is subsidized and puts out some great food, and caters in sushi on Tuesdays and Indian on Thursdays.

Cons

-Any con I have would be nitpicking, I have worked at companies who do not treat their employees right and absolutely know what that is like. Xilinx treats their employees the right way.
    -A set promotion track would be nice. In my specific role I do not see much room to take on any more responsibilities than I currently have, and do not know what other steps or new roles I could transition to in the future without crippling my current department.
    -It is a bit concerning with all of the consolidation this past year in the semi-conductor industry not knowing whether or not Xilinx will be the next casualty, and if that happens the redundancies created are to be a concern for future employment.
    -Although pay is at market, my last promotion was rather small in terms of salary increase. So much in fact that I will be asking for another one less than a year after my last promotion. Not that I am not grateful to receive a promotion and a raise while I know others are not as fortunate.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Xilinx is a great place to work and I am fortunate to be a part of the team. I would recommend more career development talks with the staff to make sure everyone knows what lies ahead or at least their options for the future.

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Xilinx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and bonus are good, working environment is good, and the new gym is excellent. Products are the most advanced in FPGA area and have dominance in industry.

Cons

Some first level managers are insufficient in management skills and many employees would change positions due to poor management in small teams.

Advice to Management

To first-level management, company should improve their training to them or choose engineer managers with better management skills.

6. "good for stable job with decent pay"

Current Employee - Systems Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

nice people, not crazy hours (usually 50-60 hrs per week), stable work, decent pay, xilinx has been taking initiatives lately to improve conditions for workers such a increased/easy IT support, increased attention to talent management, new gym, etc

Cons

suffers from large corporate syndrome, lots of middle management, communication issues - the typical case of manager knows whats going on but doesnt communicate it clearly or in a timely manner to his team, they hire people into senior positions who are not qualified and they do not fire/demote incompetent people

Advice to Management

give new managers management training, often engineers are pushed into management positions who have 0 management experience or training, this leaves workers with incompetent management who would rather be bit banging anyways

7. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Everyone is genuinely kind and they want to help you be successful.

Cons

The leadership team is not very accessible. They also don't regularly share how we are progressing with regard to our vision and strategy.

Advice to Management

Share more information with us and let us play a more active role in supporting the company.

8. "Salary"

Current Employee - Staff Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good work cutting edge technology

Cons

salary sucks. work life balance is question

Advice to Management

Stop micro management

9. "Xilinx Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good salary and benefits compared to other silicon valley companies.

Cons

Lack of employee training, people have been at Xilinx for a long time and set in their ways.

10. "Accounts Payable Intern"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in San Jose, CA

I worked at Xilinx (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

No overtime pay. Hard to move up. Most of the company's finance unit is being out-sourced to singapore