KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Xoom Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2021

Found 42 of over 43 reviews

3.8
Xoom President & CEO John Kunze (no image)
John Kunze

Former Employee, more than 3 years

System Administrator

Sep 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, especially after they were acquired by PayPal. Lots of knowledgeable people.

Cons

Some folks might not like being part of a huge corporation.

2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Sep 16, 2020 - Gas Station Attendant in McAllen, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free Upstanding Cola drinKs, eXceptional cOnsumer Opportunities,and great 'Management'

Cons

Working by yourself 95% of the time, even during rushes

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Okay company

Jan 7, 2020 - Customer Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits and decent pay

Cons

not enough support or resources not set up for success

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Culture, People, Technology

Sep 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This place is the best place I've ever worked. The culture is amazing, tons of smart talented people that are devoted to the mission of making money transfer faster, cheaper and more user friendly for the millions of people remitting funds back to friends and family. When I was here there were great perks, fully stocked kitchen, modern office space, free healthcare, travel and cell phone reimbursement for everyone. And of course the opportunity to learn, grow and have positive impact. One thing I really enjoyed were the all quarterly hands on deck meetings where the CEO brought everyone together, discussed challenges, achievements, introduced new hires and even answered (unproctored) tough questions from employees in an open transparent way. Its very rare to work for a company where the CEO does this, and I found it deeply meaningful and reflective of the the culture of transparency and keeping everyone on the same page. Also, my coworkers were some of the most genuine supportive people. I didnt encounter the kind of politics and infighting that I've seen at so many other places I've worked. Xoom is such a breath of fresh air.

Cons

My only cons are some groups dont have as much upward or cross departmental mobility, particularly in AUP & Compliance. Also the cost of living in the bay area is obsene. But other than that, this place is an amazing company.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Software Engineer

Sep 24, 2013 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Managers understand that employees are the most valuable asset to the company and treat them appropriately We striving to improve the life of immigrants in the US by providing the best service at the lowest price. We are breaking the monopoly of money transfers companies who charge ridiculous fees and it really feels like you are making the world a better place here Management proactively works to improve quality of work environment We work within an agile environment and have the capability to structure our process in a way that works for us good work life balance The company has been growing a lot, but it still feels like a smaller company. For example the CEO is on a first name basis with everyone. Previous reviews seem outdated and inaccurate. Our IT department is now a top notch outfit and engineers all work on a newly renovated floor with high celiings and lots of light. Mid level management strives to shield engineers from extra fluff so we can focus on work

Cons

need more paid vacation days could use an upgrade on the free food (too much hydrogenated/palm oil). Could use more fresh items stocked regularly no 401k matching policy

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

If you want to learn and improve your skills - don't even this about working here.

Feb 1, 2012 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good working hours - 9-5 job. That also is the reason why it the worst code base I have ever seen in my life along with the worst IT department I have ever worked with.

Cons

IT department is a joke, you can't touch the production boxes as a software engineer. The same people setting up your email on your work machine are taking care of production. The database is a complete mess, the code base is filled with bugs and takes hours to build. Worst of all you can not do anything without IT permission. They don't know basic unix / linux commands and do more harm then good. You will not really learn anything from engineering either as anyone with some talent will go elsewhere. As Sr. Mgmt has stated, "we are not a software company" .... and they are not lying. They don't know the first thing about software.

9 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far great experience

May 19, 2014 - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Xoom is a very open minded workplace. Your peers are all encouraging and helpful. Nice to have a mentality of helping each other rather than competing with each other.

Cons

The company has grown faster than it has been able to adjust itself to it. It's like being in a medium company with the mentality of a small one. Everybody wants to be involved in everything, even the CEO is involved in the smallest details. Just like if it still was a small start-up.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Place to Work with Wonderful people

Jun 25, 2015 - Legal & Compliance in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the purpose, the culture. The company is growing fast. The management's attitude of doing the right thing, the right way and with an amazing attitude is reflected throughout most of the employees. Excellent Benefits packages and a really cool place to work that is laid back but also challenging and open for growth!

Cons

Right now, just the normal growing pains of growing so quickly is happening. but I think it'll smooth out soon.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Good intentions, poor management

Feb 9, 2016 - N/A in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company and service, the company is thriving to do good and to provide a top of the line much needed service.

Cons

Priorities are messed up. There is no alignment between teams, and a lot of backstabbing to push each team's agenda forward disregarding the big picture. The executive team is passive and unprepared, many VPs are there due to tenure and not competence. Also, the executive team is a boy's club where the main goal is to please and look good in front of the CEO. Company has no culture, no fun, no engagement. You can spend more than a year here without meeting people from the team next to you. It's a quiet graveyard.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with great senior leaders

Feb 26, 2016 - California in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked in a role that directly interfaced with senior leaders at Xoom, and I have nothing but the most positive things to say about them. They granted me significant autonomy (which I loved) and genuinely cared about the direction of the business. I would 100% recommend them to anyone looking for an fun and exciting opportunity with a feel-good mission.

Cons

I feel lucky - I can't really think of any!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 Reviews