XpresSpa Reviews | Glassdoor

Ed Jankowski
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Also the way that upper management talks about their employees behind their back like they do not exist is horrible (in 9 reviews)

• The corporate office does not have a collaborative feel (in 8 reviews)

1. "Massage Therapist"

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

Great for variety of the job and meeting new and interesting people.

Cons

Favoritism; inconsistencies in policies; decline in moral because of the perception that management does the bare minimum and the employees suffer.

"Disgusting Management"

I worked at XpresSpa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility nothing else only that you could change schedule around

Cons

Incompetent Staff, low pay long hours, CEO doesn't look after all locations to see what is happening closely

3. "not for me"

I worked at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

meeting people at the airport

Cons

hectic and unorganized working in a small space

"Good job horrible managers"

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance Benefits if working full time.
    nice people to work with.
    Good money if there are not to many employees.

Cons

Currently they are mico managers. Worst people I have ever worked for. 8 hour shifs . can't sit down at all have to stand the whole day. They keep coming up with things to make the employees work more with giving noting back.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees not your manager's. Stop punishing everyone for what a fue people did. It looks tacky to have your employees standing in front of your store. Every spa in the world lets there employees sit between clients. If you make the environment fun you will make more money. Hire your manager s from your floor staff.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at XpresSpa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The spa employees are amazing and work their hands to the bone. I met a lot of great people there.

Cons

Coporate were some of the most arragant condescending people I have ever met. I was employed with this company for about 6 months constantly worried about being fired or screamed at, I was managing 4 stores in a busy airport and nothing was ever good enough. Days off were spent answering emails, text messages and phone calls and basically being verbally abused by upper management. The CEO is absolutely awful and the owners of the company back him 100% which is crazy to me. The idea of the company is great the execution not so much. I even dealt with payroll issues and employees just not getting paid at all. No one should ever dread coming to work and at this place I hated every second I was there.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and listen to them, they are the backbone of this company and are the ones putting food on your table. Never forget that.

"Don't waste your time going there"

Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XpresSpa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company and mainly its management who is stubborn and leading the company to accelerated bankruptcy, which is sad since the concept is rather nice.

Cons

Turnover is extremely high. The big majority of employees at the corporate office are there for less than a month. Everyone in this company is looking for a new job from day 1 of employment, they fill the opened positions with full of temp since no one wants to work there.

Benefits package is very bad and there is lot of favoritism.

I have never met with a more arrogant person than XpresSpa CEO. He really acts as if he was CEO of Amazon or Apple, although he should rather take example on them and be more humble and equally fair to all of your employees.

The offices are tiny, you literally sit on top of each other. The atmosphere is crappy...

The company is doing very poorly therefore there is any possibility for progression... To progress skip XpresSpa. This is one of the reason the employee turnover is so high, people acknowledge it from day 1 of joining.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees all without exception (spa & corporate and from all levels) they can teach you a lot... otherwise you will continue the loosing, know-how and all the best brains if they haven't already all escaped.

"Don't do it! You will regret it"

Former Employee - SPA Manager
    Former Employee - SPA Manager

I worked at XpresSpa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams working in the spas are amazing and extremely hard working!
    Fun atmosphere being in an airport
    Good pay with easy bonus potential

Cons

This is a horribly ran company. The NEW corporate team will come in to your locations and make changes without even knowing or wanting to try and learn the business. They are advertising "XpresSpa 2.0" which is a big joke! When you're in good with the upper management it’s GREAT but when you aren't, expect to be treated poorly and pushed out. If an issue comes up, they only take one side of the story. (That was conveyed to me by the CEO) Good luck calling HR because they won’t call you back, talk about one-sided story people. Once the new CEO came on board about half of the corporate team left and that’s when it all went downhill. The new corporate team is bringing on some of the shadiest people. They seem to only want to hear from them rather than the tenure team. There is 1 Area Manager that has had multiple online complaints but they believe her over everyone else. This person will make up stories and situations to make you look bad and her look great to her bosses. Once you leave they will slander you to everyone and tell the details of what happen and why they don’t work there anymore. Yes, sounds crazy but its true!

Advice to Management

Get to know you're teams instead of letting 1 person tell you their opinion of them and that will help a lot. Be able to take advice and hear your team’s opinions because as of right now everyone is scared to tell you the truth. Some of your people are master manipulators but you still seem to believe them. I absolutely loved my job and the teams that we created but the Senior Management doesn't look at the whole picture, they only look at a screen shot.

8. "Poor Management"

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

Great place to meet new people and the techs work hard.

Cons

Poor management and leadership.

Advice to Management

open to feed back and training

"The Worst Company Ever"

I worked at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

Beautiful store setups to attract customers.

Cons

A Façade of a company and extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

The epitome of workmanship! Management needs to have more trainings on professionalism as well as their trainers. They show favoritism to employees, they only care about the ones they like. The worst company I've ever worked for, apply at your own risk!

"Corporate employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Any pros to comment on

Cons

Management does not look after its employees, there is no development opportunity and employees turnover is high...

Advice to Management

Be humble