Xtivia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Robinson

1. "Great working at this company"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Xtivia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable work environment.
    Opportunity to learn new technologies.
    Great colleagues.

Cons

Not much vertical growth.
    Not enough salary increments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Xtivia - Development and Consulting at its Finest"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Portal Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Portal Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Xtivia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Xtivia for almost five years and all of them have been great. What could be better than doing consulting development, with the latest technologies, and getting to work with different clients! The clients look to you for the best advice and they take the information you provide seriously. Some projects will be less exciting than others but they always end and you're off to something new.

You have probably worked at a place with a lot of dead weight before. There will be developers that never can complete a task and for some reason never get fired. Not at Xtivia. You will have all the chances in the world to learn, work through issues and become a valuable team member. If you don't then eventually time will run out. I mention this because it is exciting to know that the people you will be working with know what they are doing and are also excited about the development they are working on.

Xtivia has a flexible work schedule, opportunity to work remotely, yearly bonuses, pays overtime and good heath benefits if you are single.

Cons

The expensive cost of family medical benefits is terrible compared to other companies I have worked for.

401k matching is not great at $500 a year (that's the total amount they will contribute).

Forced time off using at least one of your own vacation days between Christmas and New Years.

Advice to Management

Take a look at top 100 companies that have employees fighting to be employed there. See what benefits they are providing and then adjust accordingly. Without the right talent there is no way to be the best and you have to spend money to make money.

3. "Xtivia - Xtra Special"

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Oracle Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Xtivia (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, advanced, people, benefits, location, growth.

Cons

Clients can be snippy. The free snacks and drinks can be too tempting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the outstanding work!

"XTIVIA, Good Culture and Customer Investment"

Current Employee - Virtual Services Account Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Virtual Services Account Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Xtivia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you work 40 hours a week, your co-workers can become your roommates. Sometimes I feel like I see more of them than I do my girlfriend, but that situation happens anywhere you work full time. What makes XTIVIA great is the people they hire. In my management role, I get to work with many different teams spreading across all of our technology platforms, and everyone is enjoyable to work with. In the Colorado Springs and Denver offices (where most of the higher management is), I've never felt pressured by a boss or sensed a hostile environment from my co-workers.

XTIVIA took me on as an intern doing data entry back in 2010, and I've always had room to grow, and still do. I'm still in college, and they work well with my schedule.

Fortunately, most of the database administrators work either in the Colorado Springs or Denver offices, so I get to meet with them all in person to tackle challenges, as management in our Virtual-DBA service is my main role. Again, I still work with the other services, so the job can be different every day.

XTIVIA takes care of me financially. I truly feel blessed for what they can give me an hour, especially compared to other students I hear from.

From my view, some of the things we've done for our clients is amazing.
    We dropped the ball with communication with a client before. To fix it, we've offered to extend their consulting hours into a new term, or remove hours used from their term. Either way, it's free consulting for a client that results in us resolving the issue and providing additional services to apologize. This has taught me that consulting is an investment in your client rather than a product or service to sell. By taking care of the customer, even if it doesn't help our bottom line in the short run, means we're doing the right thing for everyone in the long run, and is the most likely reason we have clients that have been with us for over 10 years.

Cons

The teams are all allowed to work from home. I think that's great, but I also feel we could hone our craft better with more in-person communication. There are times when a quick but needed answer could have been given by walking down the hall instead of waiting for an email.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being more focused on how to resolve problems when they arise than on berating the people who messed up, that goes a long way with employee morale.
    I'd love to see more communication between database, business intelligence, portal and application server teams to identify more opportunities for existing clients who are only using one of our services.

"A sweat shop"

Former Employee - Remote Java Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Remote Java Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Xtivia (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work possible. The comradry with the employees.

Cons

Sales over sells every project. The result is death marches for every undertaking. They usually hire good guys. So you'll have plenty of people to talk with during the day. But not a reasonable career path.

Advice to Management

Be realistic.

Xtivia Response

Nov 19, 2015 – CEO

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review and feedback. I am sorry to hear about your experience with XTIVIA. We have worked hard to build a dynamic environment where we can ... More

7. "Great place to work for :)"

Former Employee - DB2 UDB Database Administrator in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - DB2 UDB Database Administrator in Edison, NJ

I worked at Xtivia (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. Worked there for 6 great years. Could not have asked for a better company to work for.
    People are nice, you get to work on complex client related issues, no business as usual tasks. Management is very transparent and nice. You can talk to the management anytime you like and give your opinion. You get the opportunity to work on new technologies.
    Flexible work schedule. They take care of employees like they are family.

Cons

Don't expect pay raises every year. It's a small company so there is not much in terms of promotions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but think about giving people regular increments so that it takes care of inflation.

"Great minds! Absolutely loved working here, Keep the good work!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Portal Programmer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Portal Programmer in Austin, TX

Pros

I worked in Xtivia as an Enterprise software programmer for 2 years, In Xtivia you get to work on very interesting projects, use cutting edge technologies, and meet some really smart architects and developers, There is no end to learning no matter how much experience you have, continuous knowledge sharing is a norm with the brown bag interactive sections, your work also gets to be appreciated. I do Highly recommended this company.

Cons

Work can be really fast paced as the clients are always a priority, which is not unheard of for most consulting companies out there

Advice to Management

Keep the good work!

"Best company I have ever worked for... hands down."

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

No company is perfect for everyone, though this friendly and sometimes fast paced environment has me hooked. It keeps you on your toes and there is always new challenges that await you around the corner. Though you can't be a slacker here and you need to be friendly, have a positive attitude, and have motivation to work through new challenges. The people here for the most part really care about each other and they are easy to get along with. We all do our best to cover each other when we need it and we BBQ every Thursday! :)

Cons

The benefits aren't awesome, though I have seen much worse and they are working on improving them. The busy times come and go and it can be stressful when you have a few fires to put out at once, Though that's why working well with a team helps out as you are there to help cover them as they are there to help cover you.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the business practices of trying to take care of your people as best you can. Keep an open mind, stay positive, and don't become too greedy. Take care of a few customers very well and not a lot of customers okay and we will be golden.

10. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Liferay Enterprise Portal Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Liferay Enterprise Portal Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Xtivia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and work-life balance are great. Management knows how to see that a project is successful without micromanaging.

Cons

The only cons are those that come with contract and consulting work - short timelines that sometimes require overtime and travel.

"Xtivia is the best place I've worked ever as a front-end developer..."

Current Employee - UI Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Xtivia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits now are basically comparable with anywhere else in the industry. There was some time when the healthcare costs got out of control for the insurance but the leadership has gone great lengths to alleviate those. As for the work/life balance I feel is actually quite good. I have a family and I'm able to take my kid to the doctor or class whenever she needs no questions asked. As long as I make sure the work is accounted for I'm usually fine. Plus there are many people who work from Home and are great at it.

To me the best thing about Xtivia is the crew I work with at the Austin office. Everyone is inclusive and there are no egos or feelings to be afraid of hurting. Everyone's set on their respective projects goals and making sure it's done the right way the first time. What more I haven't met someone yet that isn't eager to help me if they know how – which I find very refreshing. TLDR: The Culture is top notch.

Cons

Xtivia has drawn it's lines in the sand as being the leader in working on software most people don't want to or can't touch – Liferay Enterprise Portal. While we still do a lot of fun things in NodeJS, PhoneGap, Angular etc our bread and butter is Liferay. Big companies like HP, Avaya, and more love us because we're awesome at Liferay (2nd Year in a row partner of the year) So ergo If you don't like Java server side development then you will not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

More diverse work. We need to invest more UI work into Liferay and include other options beyond alloyUI/bootstrap to attract more topnotch UI Developers. I think we should have more potlucks too.