Xyratex Reviews | Glassdoor

Xyratex Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "work on production line,assembler,inspection."

Former Employee - Hangingclothing&Inspect in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Hangingclothing&Inspect in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits and friendly people.clean work and good management.

Cons

some time work seven day week.

2. "Great people and benefits, but no accountability for Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee's were willing to go above and beyond the daily necessities of business. As much over-time as one person could possible take. I made more in over-time than I did as a base salary.

Cons

Production would sometimes work weeks without a day off. Repetitive and meaningless motions for most of the employee's. Management would hide problems from UK. Customers wait extraordinary amounts of time for new projects. UK is slow to react to problems.

Advice to Management

Over-time is not also good if you are wanting to produce a great product. Planning was horrid and needed to be over seen by someone with more experience. Wty manger needs communication classes. Very rude individual. She could be a drill Sargent for the Army, with her attitude and total disregard for employees/co-workers.

"I worked there for many years."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, FL

I worked at Xyratex full-time

Pros

Pay was good - for certain people.

Cons

Incompetent upper management. Too many VPs with high pay who did very little but point fingers. No appreciation for the "worker bees". Had to be part of the clique to get ahead. Management very reactive, not proactive.

Advice to Management

Weed out the high paid dead wood.

"Most unloyal company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Production Operator in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Production Operator in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Xyratex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Great diversity in the culture. I was immersed in a diverse mix of all kinds of cultured individuals and it was a great experience as a result.
    +Good entry level wage

Cons

-No real potential to go from the general "Production Operator" title into any position with more responsiblity.
    -There was no real sense of appreciation for working hard and busting down deadlines.
    -Temp-to-Hire promise is a straight up lie. Co-workers who were temps had been employed for just shy of 5 years never had the opportunity to become a permanent.
    -Majority of the supervising staff did not communicate well with employees about work load and scheduling of overtime.
    -Was often required to work 64+ hours a week for 3 weeks straight. Meaning, there was no work/life balance. My social life was centered around work.
    -No real flexibility to those who are students looking to further their education.

Advice to Management

To management, the people below you, the ones out on the production floor, temp or permanent, are all equally as important as those in the front office. A sense of appreciation or maybe even a pat on the back once in a while goes a long way in the eyes of a young, hard working kid. Creating opportunities for those loyal to your company to move up is important for ensuring the future success of your business.

"Xyratex, Inc. not the best, but not the worst one"

Current Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Xyratex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good salaries. not the best company, but not the worst one either.

Cons

bad management, luck of communication or connection between management and employees, also between teams.

6. "Enjoyable company for some, not for others"

Current Employee - Production Planner in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Production Planner in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Xyratex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great location, great PTO vacation schedule, supportive management

Cons

Heavy workload for operators, imbalance if work and personal time, several layoffs.

"A real meat grinder environment"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free pizza. Free trips to Mexico.

Cons

Search madly to find great talent with know how and then demand you do it their sorry way.
    Abuse the temporary workforce and guest workers.
    Incompetent upper management that cover up their mistakes by blaming underlings
    Inconsistent pay practices: Pay some people far below market and others far above depending on their degree of desperation
    Unethical and mean-spirited
    Limited mobility opportunities for women unless they're willing to do unethical things
    Not really a tech company --- more of a tricky accounting firm
    Treat non UK employees like second class citizen
    Hire their own kids
    Lots of lying to the CEO

Advice to Management

Steve Barber, you've got a bloated Finance group who interfere with technology requirements and a lot of lazy back-stabber executives who fail to put in a full day's work. Several of them get in late, leave early, and hide their screw ups from you. You need an entirely new executive team. Wonder why they point their fingers at each other? Because they are all dead wood milking the company for all they can get. Your HR Department sucks and sits back watching you flounder.

"blind leading the weak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

One of the remaining manufacturing companies in Sacramento. Strong dedicated site boss looking after us. Company financial ok, make money for now. Good location, easy commute. Getting paid on time. Stupid boss let me do anything. Lots overtime is good.

Cons

A good old boys network. If you are an English white male, you have a bright future. Anybody else sit and wait. Evidence? Look no further than recent high level promotions in UK and Asia, young English white males. Blame my parents for wrong skin color.

UK is king and cannot do wrong. Local is junk and cannot do right.

Advice to Management

Big layoff is near. You take care either the right people, or they will vote with their foot. I can not count on CEO. I better search for new job now.

"Could be so much better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization.

Benefits are good compared to some places I have worked in the recent past.

Cons

The product road map is non-existent but we continue to move forward in spite of it (usually in crisis mode).

There are many processes in place but they are rarely utilized which adds to the chaos.

There are also missing processes that cause everyone to do critical items differently also adding to the chaos and a sense that we never do the same thing the same way 2 times in a row.

Advice to Management

Get control of the organization and the processes (define who does what to/with whom).

Set a product road map and communicate it to the masses.

"Awful Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

nothing positive about working for this company. Ok, it was good pay, but not worth it because of all the Cons. I couldn't get out fast enough.

Cons

I worked in the W. Sac office. Everyone was running scared, poor management, the worst I've ever experienced professionally. Overworked employees.

Advice to Management

Dump the VP/Senior management, dead wood.