Y Media Labs Employee Reviews about "great place"

Updated Jul 27, 2020

3.7
Y Media Labs CEO Ashish Toshniwal
Ashish Toshniwal
Pros
  • "A great place to fast-track your growth(in 17 reviews)

• "YML is an ambitious company that treats its employees with respect(in 8 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great place"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This year leadership proved to put people first. When Covid happened, the C-suite refused to let anyone go. And we still had our performance reviews/raises. Lots of flexibility around doing your work especially for working families. Bug plus for remote work. Good challenging projects and exposure to different clients. A great place to fast-track your growth.

Cons

My leader is often spread thin and we don’t get enough time together, but that’s the nature of working with many clients. I know there are efforts to improve this.

Continue reading
  2. "Company culture and talent is incomparable to others!"

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time

Pros

There is so much opportunity and room for growth. The team is transparent with business and everyone works together to get the project done. Not only is the talent and work amazing, but there is also a sense of pride working for a company that put their employee first and prioritizes culture and diversity! -Company culture and diversity is so important! -Always feel heard and supported -Employees come first -Positive culture all around -Transparency with all staff -Great place to grow!

Cons

There are no real cons for me.

"Proceed with Caution"

2.0

I worked at Y Media Labs full-time

Pros

- Coworkers are generally good people - Nice offices - Free parking - Stocked kitchen

Cons

If a friend of mine was considering working here, I would tell them this: Proceed with Caution. YML can be a good option if you're looking for somewhere to work for a year max, get some decent client names under your belt, and then move on. I would NOT consider this a great place if you're hoping to truly learn and grow. Several people have been fired simply because the company doesn't understand how to utilize their extensive knowledge. There's EXTREME favoritism. It is very obvious who is "liked" by leadership and who isn't. People have been expected to work nights and weekends instead of properly setting client expectations for a reasonable turn-around time. And worst of all, the company exists in its own delusion of grandeur. Those who turn a blind eye, walk the "YML is the best place on earth" walk, and do as their told are rewarded. Those who challenge, disagree, or see room for improvement are punished in one way or another. Whenever a pitch isn't won, they find a way to blame the client's budget. Its never, "We didn't do something right" because the almighty YML is never wrong. You can see evidence of this in all their rebuttals to the negative reviews. It's the employees fault for not "discussing with your manager." Many people have been leaving week after week for months and there's a reason for that...

Continue reading
  4. "Excellent learning place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Y Media Labs full-time

Pros

Great projects, great place and great people

Cons

I did not see any cons

5. "Overall Experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time

Pros

Great place to work in terms of knowledge base, you will get to learn a lot things and a hands on experience on trending technologies

Cons

Everything looks great, except for the office space which they are thinking of expanding.

"Awesome culture and brand exposure!"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Y Media is a great place to learn and grow within. The nature and quality of assignments has been improving year over year and we get to work with some of the top brands in the industry- solving mission critical challenges that have a huge impact. The culture of the company is very unique and home grown- inclusive, empathetic and energetic. People are hired for being a good cultural fit as much as for their skills and intellect. The management follows an open door policy allowing ideas to be shared and spread across the board. The overall hierarchy is fairly flat lending itself well to driving more collaboration across functions and roles. Despite the size, the company has done a great job at maintaining a start-up vibe internally that helps us be nimble in how we work.

Cons

The usual growing pains associated with a young company- not all the processes are well defined, sometimes people are expected to hustle, take on more responsibilities than their roles - stuff like that.

Continue reading

"Great place to work. Flexible Environment. Challenging. Extremely Talented Designers & Engineers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Laid back culture, but the teams know how to get work done. + Really focused on design excellence, especially CEO. + Catering on Mondays + House in Hawaii for employees to use. Although I haven't been to the Hawaii House, it's definitely a great perk. + Stacked Kitchen + People are nice, many of them are outgoing. The kitchen becomes a hangout. + Flexible about when you come and leave. No real guidelines, but probably because nobody has abused it. + Leadership are open to ideas and willing to assign budget to execute those ideas. + Company is growing at a solid pace, and new projects keep coming. Overall, the company is a great place to be. Leadership is on a mission to keep growing at a solid pace and it is working.

Cons

The designers and engineers are two totally different sets of people. Not a con to Y Media Labs, but the difference in culture between the groups is pretty big.

8. "Awesome"

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and work.

Cons

Work life balance is not so good

9. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training for freshers was stellar. Great place to pick up the basics of development. Plenty of opportunity to take ownership of tasks and learn leadership

Cons

Work life balance is impacted. Specially during release time. Company is not well known.

10. "I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Y Media Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place for kick-starting your career. you will get recognition for your work.

Cons

Sometimes because of hectic work, it becomes difficult to maintain work-life balance The food served during lunch is not good

Found 19 reviews