YAI National Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
George Contos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing co-workers get to work with amazing people that we provide services to great benefits (in 11 reviews)

• well they have good benefits, this job is not for everybody (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for people doing tough work (in 18 reviews)

• Ever-changing state edicts and money (yes, even for a "non-profit) are their concerns (in 9 reviews)

1. "Fun for awhile"

Former Employee - CTS
    Former Employee - CTS

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture seems positive and comes off as encouraging. They have great training sessions and really push the field forward in the ways that employees should think and act when working with this population. Great benefits and the schedule can be flexible at times.

Cons

Very little room for growth, with people in the same positions for years. Some false promises and they appear to be cutting position rather than creating more for others to grow. Pay isn't great.

Advice to Management

Stop getting rid of positions and burdening hardworking employees with more tasks without rewarding them accordingly. Don't let good employees or loyal ones with 10+ years of experience walk away without providing opportunities for real growth. Address unrest or dissatisfaction among employees in a timely manner rather than let it fester.

2. "Executive Overhaul"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great mission, vision and long history of great community work. This is at the core of everything and somehow even felt through all the turmoil. Great potential for big things with this organization as the net is wide to cast for opportunity in YAI programs. The program models are good. Good promotional opportunities for long term employees.

Cons

Lots of executive turnover in the past few years has led to overworked employees and the remnants of poor executives. This has led to a lot of long term employee turnover at the director level and below - leaving the teams green, overworked and without solid leadership. The new CEO is learning through a series of mistakes that has cost him some good people.
    The core principles are iterated but not implemented and not felt throughout the organization. People feel confused, frustrated, shut down and exhausted.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff at all levels. Use collaborative decision making - not just verbalize this culture but put it into actionable steps. Answer the question... How does YAI make decisions and who is involved? This is key. It is not a content problem but one of process.

3. "14 years at yai"

Former Employee - Regional Medical Administrator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Medical Administrator in Bronx, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute (More than 10 years)

Pros

well organized, good training and programs, good path to advancement

Cons

large workload, poison pills among supervisors and coordinators

Advice to Management

more accountability of underperforming supervisors/staff

4. "Tough Job but you often work with great people"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with a lot of great people. You develop great relationships with your clients.

Cons

The salary and sometimes your clients are difficult.

Advice to Management

Most of my supervisors were great. However, there were supervisors who micromanaged and wouldn't treat their employees like adults. Let your staff step out and get food. You are not paying them enough to stay there all day.

"YAI has fallen a long way"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful work being done. Many dedicated staff. People w disabilities are well supported.

Cons

Over the last 2 years, YAI is bleeding talent. Incredible amount of turnover. Executive managment is horrendous. The current CEO is inexperienced, disconnected, and does not come out of his office. Every C level executive has been their 1 year or less (always a bad sign) and latest executive hires are just as disconnected as the CEO, and even more condescending(Comms Cheif, Program Chief, IT Cheif). If you work at or want to work atYAI, try to avoid Central Office- low moral.

Advice to Management

Come out of your offices and connect with the work that YAI does. It's hard to run a NFP when you are so disconnected from the staff and programs.

6. "YAI"

I worked at YAI National Institute part-time

Pros

A lot of hands on training, very helpful company.

Cons

A lot of things to do before you start, however they work with you.

7. "A flawed organization where the individuals that "we serve" are suffering"

Former Employee - DSP/CTS in New York, NY
    Former Employee - DSP/CTS in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with individuals who have developmental disabilities can be very rewarding. I worked in a Day Habilitation setting where I was responsible for teaching a variety of skills (traveling, working, communication, activities of daily living, etc) and had a large amount of autonomy in my teaching methods.

Cons

The management is very flawed from top to bottom. I worked there for 4 years and when I began I believed that I would be able to advance my career within the organization; I left because I realized that I was misled and there was nowhere for me to go. A lot of the supervisors had been in their positions for 15+ years and were very jaded by the population and the job. They were unprofessional in their approach to staff and often avoided actually doing their jobs and would instead pass along tasks to DSPs/CTSs (Direct Service Professionals/Community Training Specialists). There is a lot of staff drama that interferes with the personal growth of the individuals; they are often suffering due to lazy staff members who think of it as an easy job where they can hang out all day.
    The upper management may be worse. They're very out of touch and don't seem to care at all about the day-to-day.
    In addition to there not being any room for growth, the pay is dismal and there are no raises or bonuses offered to staff.

Advice to Management

Get it together!

8. "great training, but that's about it."

Pros

great training..prepared me well for my career in the field

Cons

as a staff you do not always receive the support you need to be successful

9. "Could do better"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional (DSP) in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional (DSP) in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours with a lot of opportunities to pick up more hours

Cons

- Favoritism
    - No raises unless promoted
    - You're not paid enough for what you do (UNDERPAID)!!!

10. "Residential Counselor"

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

Pay is decent if you

Cons

Pay is not worth what they ask

Advice to Management

None