YAI National Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

George Contos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing co-workers get to work with amazing people that we provide services to great benefits (in 12 reviews)

• well they have good benefits, this job is not for everybody (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for people doing tough work (in 18 reviews)

• Ever-changing state edicts and money (yes, even for a "non-profit) are their concerns (in 9 reviews)

"No room for growth"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of time off. People stay in their positions forever.

Cons

Management is led by educators and social workers with little to no management aptitude.

"No room for advancement of you are not a "yes man." Management picks favorites for promotions."

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers in general are friendly.

Cons

Poor salary. No raises. Management inept.

Advice to Management

Listen to people with experience and brains. Drop your own egos in the wastebasket.

"Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career"

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

The mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

Cons

My job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

4. "They will chew you up and spit you out with little regard or even a farewell!"

Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the Consumers are pleasant to work with and will place a smile on your face. Some of the training provided is useful and informative.

Cons

Some of the Consumers should not be in the setting they are in and can cause stress for the consumers who are more manageable.
    Some staff members who have been there for a long time are not open to suggestions and like to micro manage, often listening in on conversations from the next room, insisting the consumers "know" when they clearly don't.
    Some staff members are on a power trip and deny consumers things such as coffee or a cookie simply because they can. HR will lye and mislead you. Supervisors wont answer your calls.

Advice to Management

Over worked-under payed. Supervisors love to play favorites. My ex supervisor was so fake, it nauseated me. If you do not fit in with their ways then you are an outcast and they will get rid of you without a good bye. I was instructed to complete an application a specific way which caused me my job. After reaching out to the Supervisors on several occasions they never contacted me. I was left to fend for myself. I was very honest about a situation which may have resulted in my name being placed on a CPS list due to DV and yet I was still treated as if I did something wrong. I was never given the opportunity to defend myself as I was promised. It was an isolated incident, I did not hurt my children and I was acting in self defense. In addition I was not convicted and received an ACD. I do not have a criminal record. I also completed all necessary DV awareness and parenting classes. Yet, HR and my supervisor decided to label me violent and treated me like dirt.

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Mission driven culture, Great place to work.

Cons

Difficult financial environment for all non-profits.

Advice to Management

Provide training and keep investing in your employees

6. "Under payed, over worked"

Pros

Dealing with the families was much more eventfully

Cons

The administrators WILL throw you under the bus in a heart beat, especially if you don't belong to their "klick", supervisors definitly not professional, they yell and bang their fist to make sure you follow their commands, NO RAISE in 7 years, layoffs

7. "Ok"

Pros

Experience with individuals are the best part

Cons

Pay is low and needs to be increased

8. "counselor"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Salary is too low for part or full time

Advice to Management

E

9. "Direct Service Provider"

I have been working at YAI National Institute part-time

Pros

individuals, down time, OT available, fun

Cons

low salary, responsibility, no long term benefits for employees, no voice in upper management, extreme amount of gossip and nonsense

Advice to Management

give a crap about the employees not just the individuals. there is no insentive to stay at a job that does not invest in its employees

10. "Favoritism all over YAI"

Former Employee - AM DSP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - AM DSP in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Benefits are okay; work with an interesting population of IDD; opportunity to practice/gain professional skills; Working hours are flexible.

Cons

Favoritism in every department; low pay (even with a degree); company pay by the hour not salary; Your 2-week pay is not paid in full.

Advice to Management

YAI, get organized. Individuals' know they are not treated well.