YJT Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Linda Bracken Maclachlan

1. "I am going to lay all the negative comments to rest."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply put... Y-J-T Rocks!!! There is one goal here at YJT... to be the BEST...24/7!

Is it hard to be the BEST…? You better believe it. Everyone has their own perspective on what that means. Different levels of maturity, experiences, self-motivation and awareness all play a part in in this. I have been a Y-J-T’er from day one, ever since I met the team. There is something BIG going on here. Not everyone has what it takes to see it, understand it or be a part of it. I will say for sure, there are many employee’s, my colleagues, that do. Day after day I witness dedication beyond belief and sacrifices of time and good energy to no end. The result is extremely successful accomplishments in the work we do for all of our clients and in personal/professional growth within the team. In the one year of my employment I have seen the gradual development of YJT in becoming a truly exceptional MSP in the people that have defined their own paths. That is the opportunity available at YJT. There is constant change and progress. What value you put forth is the value returned at YJT.

Cons

None applicable from my point of view.

Advice to Management

Surround yourself with positive people who are going to push YJT toward greatness!

Feb 6, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your great comments. I always say this in interviews, and it is true -- this company is NOT for everyone, but for those people who are ambitious and "after it," I hope that they find ... More

2. "Great place to work but HIGHLY demanding"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been through a series of ups and downs with this organization, and I can say that there are a lot of great things about working here, but it is a very demanding environment. You will be challenged every single day, asked to manage multiple tasks, projects, and deliverables simultaneously, and there will be times where you feel overwhelmed. You will need to prioritize and lean on your coworkers for help on a regular basis.

I want to address some of the negative feedback from previous employees. I think they unfairly characterize the state of the company as well as the CEO. While there are plenty of true statements, there are also statements which suggest to me that that person would be better suited to a different environment. This environment is not for everybody.

Upon hiring you will be put to work within your first two or three days here. This is a very fast paced environment, and you will gain exposure to technologies that you would never have the opportunity to touch or see in a single business. You will have the opportunity to work with customers, networks, and systems ranging from very small to very large. You will learn quickly. For people looking for a challenge, and looking to grow quickly, this is a huge asset. Even if you come here and only stick around for a year, you will greatly advance your knowledge and career prospects.

There are plenty of opportunities for growth. The CEO strongly prefers to promote from within, and I have seen a number of our Engineers start as a level one analyst, and work their way up to senior level positions.

This organization rewards and respects employees who are willing to address issues and work to find a solution. Employees who will sit and stew instead of saying "I need help" or "It would really help if we did this" will not be successful here.

While it is a demanding environment, please don't misunderstand that to mean that perfection is a requirement. Quite the opposite, this environment can be more forgiving than you might expect, especially if you quickly admit to your mistakes, and work hard to fix them. If you try to cover issues up and they blow up later, you're gonna have a bad time.

Cons

There is a culture here of "we do what we must to get the job done" but the motivation is that we want our clients to say "Wow!" or we want to ease the burden on our coworkers. It is almost familial. The goal is to make our clients happy, and we work hard to do it, but it can definitely take a toll on your personal life and your family life.

You will be asked to work weekends or after-hours periodically. You will have to be on-call as an engineer, and you will almost definitely receive a wake up call at least once or twice during your rotation. There seems to be a general expectation that you still show up to work at 8 am the next day even if you have a rough night on call, and this expectation has rarely been addressed by management. Maybe they aren't aware, or maybe they are silently agreeing with it. There is a small stipend/bonus for being on call.

Likewise, you will be asked to work long hours, though not always directly. Sometimes it is implied, other times volunteers are requested, and you may feel like volunteering is a requirement. If you have something else going on or you have a personal matter to attend to, do not volunteer. The team here has always been respectful of making arrangements to cover for others when needed. All that is requested is that you do the same to make life easier on your coworkers when you can.

You are encouraged to take the time off that you need, but on the other hand, there is always so much to do that it seems you can't realistically take the time away. There is no accrued vacation time policy. I think the change to this policy may have backfired somewhat. People seem to fear taking time off, worrying what their coworkers who are working equally hard will think, and there is no accrued time to "give permission" to take the time off . I think the true intent of this policy was that management doesn't want you to worry about whether you have enough days saved up, just take the time you need when the timing is appropriate, and don't come to work sick just because you're out of sick days (within reason).

You have to be your own advocate in this environment, and if you truly need the time, plan it out, make arrangements, and take the time. The company will respect that, and I have never received push back for taking the vacation time that I need.

The company is growing fast, and there have been a lot of growing pains. That isn't going to change any time soon, but the right people are starting to fall into place to help correct the problems, and steer the company in a better direction. It is going to take some time, but things have improved in many ways over the last couple years.

YJT offers a very high end service and we have demanding customers. We can't simply close on holidays, and this is a major source of frustration for those who are asked to work. It is an unfortunate reality of the business that we are in. The company works to bonus employees on holidays generously, and schedule around family events or needs as much as possible.

Advice to Management

Anybody who characterizes the management here as "not caring" has really missed the mark, but I genuinely understand the sentiment. It is easy to feel frustrated and alone, and because employees aren't being communicated with constantly (you're expected to manage yourself to a high degree), or because they feel that their voices are not being heard, they will leave with the impression that management doesn't care. Linda absolutely cares about her employees, and anybody who says otherwise has not gotten to know her. She is wildly passionate about making this company strong, and continuing the growth that we have seen recently. She absolutely understands the need for a strong workforce to accomplish those goals - including morale.

There are quarterly outings, catered lunch on Fridays, a kitchen that is constantly stocked with beverages (coffees, teas, sodas, and even beer although those are strictly and obviously reserved for after-hours). We are encouraged to wrap up our work and take some time to relax with coworkers after 4:00pm on Fridays. Some weeks there is too much going on for that to happen, other weeks it is a great opportunity to blow off some steam.

I have NEVER been asked to skip lunch, and I think any manager here would be appalled at the suggestion. There are rare occasions when you are assigned to a critical issue and it is difficult to step away. I guarantee you if that is the case, and you mention it to your manager, they will order lunch for you.

Yes, the CEO has asked people to leave honest glassdoor reviews, and she has also asked that employees come to her first if they cannot leave a positive review. She wants to know what the issues are, and wants to fix them if possible. She can't know everything in a growing company with 50+ employees, so you have to be willing to speak up if you have a problem.

Linda can be difficult to read at times, and will get so caught up on an issue that she will sometimes miss other aspects of the problem at hand - including the "human" element. Her passion is 100% doing right by our clients. Though I haven't always agreed with her methodology or decisions, I know she is motivated by the right things. She will accept constructive feedback, though she may not always agree, and I would expect no different.

Linda's passion and attitudes can be intimidating to newer employees who fear that they might not be living up to her very high expectations. My advice would be to solicit feedback, and perhaps to force the issue by meeting one-on-one periodically with employees, or through other means. I know it can be difficult to arrange one-on-one meetings with employees constantly, especially as we grow, but I think the feedback would be invaluable. A blanket "come talk to me if you have any issues" really puts the employee on the spot, and may not be appropriate for all personalities.

Feb 6, 2017 – CEO

I want to deeply thank whoever left this review. I learned a lot from what you said, and as a result of this review and other similar feedback I have a goal for our first quarter of having lunches ... More

"Don't believe the Over-Hype"

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time

Pros

You get exposure to a ton of different technology. This is place is a good stepping stone but there is no way to make an actual career out of it.

Cons

Work Life Balance, Unreasonable Expectations, Fake Attitudes
    Make sure you read the negative reviews and then read the positive reviews. All the positive reviews feel really scripted to make it look like things are more positive.I wish I would have considered that.

Advice to Management

More Transparency....

Feb 6, 2017 – CEO

I had 6 people of varying levels independently tell me that they do not believe this is a current employee who left this review. I wasn't going to respond but am doing so for their sakes. If you ... More

"Not recommended if you have a family or a social life"

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot in short time period. You will be given access to things early on that most employers won't be willing to give for a while. There are some knowledgeable people there to help you work through problems if they have time to do so. I did learn a lot during my time spent at YJT but I am much happier since moving on.

Cons

It's always ridiculously busy. The company is extremely understaffed. You will be asked to work extra, skip lunch, work from home if you have a lot of tickets. If you have a family and enjoy family life this company is probably not for you. You will work long hours, nights, weekends holidays, and again it's non stop busy. Management needs to figure out how to handle the workload in a better way. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and just pray for the day to end. They're desperate for good reviews, the Ceo actually asks employees regularly to go write a positive review.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing your employees. Get enough staff to be able to handle the workload. Close business on holidays except for on-call. Think of your employees families and home life.

Jan 17, 2017 – CEO

Hi from Linda, First of all, I am truly sorry you felt this way working at YJT. It does not sound like it was a fit for you, and I'm glad you have found a better fit somewhere else. As you likely ... More

6. "Support Engineer II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company was only there for a few months because I moved out of state, otherwise I would still be there. The company lives by excellence to their customers and expect the same from their employees. There is always something to do and you are constantly learning new technologies. You have to work hard and be dedicated but they will look out for you and try their best to help you whenever possible the core team was great at the time we were a small team but efficient and management will only expect the best, so you will always be challenged. This place is not for the weak only the strong survive.

Cons

24/7 Operation but then again not really a bad thing if you expect excellence then you should never stop trying to achieve it. Overall just work hard and be a team player and this is a great place to work at.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue to strive for excellence YJT sets the bar for MSP's

Feb 6, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for your comments and especially your great contributions towards making us better every day. I wish you the very best of luck in everything ahead! Linda

"Poor management"

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time

Pros

You gain experience in a high pressure environment

Cons

Management doesn't seem to really care about their employees

Advice to Management

reward your employees for their hard work

8. "Good Company, Good People"

Former Employee - Engineer Resident in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer Resident in Chicago, IL

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many good people at the firm. The CEO is truly dedicated to run the best company that she can. Everyone works at a very high capacity, and never settles for the status quo. You will make very good friends here. There are perks (yes, Fridays at 4 is a perk), but if you're entry level, you might have to earn your way up to earning it. The location is right in the heart of Chicago, which makes it easy to commute to. You will be shown a variety of platforms and tools for the various companies that YJT works with.

Cons

There is a high volume of work... so if you're looking to barely skate by, this is not the place for you. Everyone works hard, and you also need to work hard. The work is rewarding yet demanding. It is certainly possible at YJT to maintain a work/life balance, but there is a small learning curve attached to that.

Advice to Management

I know for a fact that these words will not fall on deaf ears. LM, you have a wonderful and talented group of people. Take them and mold them so that your company can flourish. Continue to focus on hiring the best and the brightest individuals in Chicago. Don't be afraid to regularly ask for feedback from your employees; some people just need to be given the opportunity for them to speak their mind.

Aug 3, 2016 – CEO

While you said a number of good things about YJT, the best thing was saying that your words would not fall on deaf ears. Thank you. I take employee feedback to heart, and many changes have been ... More

9. "A few good men..."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"It is infinitely better to have a few good men than many indifferent ones." -George Washington.

There's more than few big difference between small companies and large companies. Small companies must live and die by the principals of a few good men. Large companies can simply continue to throw more people and resources at something but at small companies everyone has to pull their weight and everyone matters. If you want to be someone that matters, if you want to be pivotal to your company, if you want to be heard then you want to work for a small company. That's a decision I made many years ago for myself after working for a very large corporation which I will not name. The only challenge for me was finding the right small company. I took a big gamble coming here but so far I do not regret it and I am not one who is easily pleased.

I'll just sum up a few of the good things:
    -They are a great bunch of people. Period. It won't take long to be treated like family and much like your family you recognize everyone is different but you still care for all of them.
    -There's a great air of teamwork. When you drop the ball someone will pick it up and run with it and they won't criticize you for it if you've given it your best or you just simply didn't have the time.
    -When you do put in the extra effort or slam dunk something there is nearly always someone there who sees it and comments on it. I'm not one who likes praise for simply working hard but on the other hand I can't say it isn't nice to see it noticed.
    -YJT is growing fast and the customers are beating our doors down so if you can grow with us you'll be such a pivotal player that within a year or two that you can be practically running the place.
    -You will not be pigeon-holed or held to a script or told to stay within your duties. This is not the kind of place where you'll have to say "that's not my department" very often. If you're in an entry level position you may have to get help but if you desire to learn you can work with them instead of just passing the ticket along. The senior engineers are more than happy to teach you.

Cons

I was actively recruited by YJT but I was being recruited by many sources and while some have complained about the "hard interviews", I would have walked away from any company that didn't take the time to poke and prod me enough to make sure I knew what I said I knew and was a fit for them. I didn't find the interviews to be hard at all, they were quite nice and professional about it. Frankly, if you get angry or frustrated at being asked a few technical questions and having to admit to not knowing some things then you really should move along. Ignorance is not the greatest sin in IT, it's pride. Ignorance can easily be overcome but pride gets in the way of all honest communications. If you're too proud to say "I don't know, can you tell me?" then move along please. If you want to be coddled and spoon fed and given a manual for everything because you can't handle the occasional frustration of a hard problem then move a long please. If helping people and problem solving is not your thing then move a long please. If the idea of working hard scares you then, again, move a long please. I don't wish to be crass or heartless, but successful small businesses are not staffed with the indifferent but with "a few good men". If that sounds inspiring to you then come join us. If not then there are many large corps that you'll be happier at.

Advice to Management

Maybe set aside a small amount of your time every month or every other month to have a heart to heart with each employee. No agenda required, just privately solicit their feelings and ambitions to make sure they are on the track they want to be.

Jul 14, 2016 – CEO

Reading this review brings me joy. What you have so beautifully articulated is exactly what we have tried so hard to create through these years. We are building a dream team here, and although I ... More

10. "Such a Great Place !"

Pros

Every professional in any industry knows that working for a small entrepreneurial business is very different from working for a large corporate. If wearing an employee badge with a shiny name is what you want in life, then you are in the wrong place for sure! YJT is a dynamic company, a company that managed to prove itself in a very competitive environment and was able to win major contracts and execute them on time and at a very high standard. The place is filled with passion for winning, the atmosphere is super friendly and the teams are in full harmony with one objective in mind … always provide the clients with more than they expect and keep rising the quality bar. The sheer amount of technologies that you deal with on daily basis, the different types of business that you are exposed to and the rapid pace that keeps on accelerating will make you feel that you’re developing by the hour. This is a place were successful people can continue their success, where ideas are welcomed, where ownership of tasks is a norm and after all, where reward and appreciation are guaranteed. Some of the reviews say that the management is very focused on revenue … not quite sure if there is a business that is not focused on revenue; to me, such statement just shows lack of business maturity. I can see YJT easily overachieving their goals and the last couple of years are a true evidence that whatever they’re doing, they’re definitely doing it damn right!

Cons

When it comes to small dynamic businesses, mistakes will be made along the way and strategies might need to change to adapt to clients’ needs, but that’s the nature of business, you make mistakes and you learn from them. The long hours can be a seen as a negative aspect but at the end, one should not forget that turbo-charging your career means putting the extra hours, and this goes for any industry.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing!

Jul 14, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for being a part of the success here!

11. "Crazy fast paced environment"

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at YJT as it was one of the fasted growing / moving companies I have ever worked for. They are continually updating and improving processes to make things run smoother and provide a better experience for the customers. There is a major focus on company culture and as such all hiring and firing is built around their core values. This is not something I have seen at other companies but have to say that I really liked it as you always knew exactly what the company expected of you.

Cons

As the company is growing so fast it is hard to keep up, new customers are coming online every month as well as new employees. This does create confusion and does often result in some disgruntled employees. Though these are usually the ones that don't quite fit and are likely on their way out.

Advice to Management

Keep it up as your are doing a great job, keep listening to your employees and changing course as required to meet your goals.