YMCA Membership Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

YMCA CEO Kevin Washington
Kevin Washington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is a non-profit so the advantages that you would have with a cooperation you do not have with a YMCA (in 224 reviews)

• I was only part-time for a few months (in 221 reviews)

1. "Best working environment I've ever had, miss it. Only downside was the pay."

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Caldwell, ID

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was always positive, facilitated learning and growth everyday as opposed to profit. I got my first taste of the working world without having experience.

Cons

The pay was terrible, and there were so many office politics. People getting positions off of potential and friendships as opposed to performance.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep experienced staff.

"Ok starting job"

Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate Membership Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate Membership Sales Associate

I have been working at YMCA (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership good atmosphere

Cons

Be prepared to only work at maximum 30 hours a week but as little as seven hours a week

Advice to Management

Management is very poor at the branch I worked at

"Membership Sales"

Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Cumming, GA
    Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Cumming, GA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment. Good people. Room for growth.

Cons

Non-profit company, so the pay isn't great.

4. "Customer service associate"

Former Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Belmont, NC
    Former Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Belmont, NC

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours. Nice people. Hours are very good, I was able to select the hours I wanted to work. I worked evenings and 6 to 10pm, 2 nights a week no weekends.

Cons

Very low pay and for part time no benefits.

Advice to Management

A raise for employees that have been with the company for more then 2 years.

5. "The Y is a nice community service organization."

Current Employee - Membership Associate in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Membership Associate in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Membership is the only benefit as a part time employee. It is a good part-time retirement job.

Cons

They now require a part time person to work 12 hours a week / 3 days. Many people have quit because of that.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Train employees better. Create a training manual.

6. "Worked for YMCA of Greater Richmond for more than six years. Great company. Great customer service initiatives!"

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing executive level staff at the headquarters office. Great team mentality in membership sales. Simply the best choice in the wellness arena, hands down. Impressive operational execution by VP of Membership Sales in Richmond, VA. Couldn't find a much better leader when it comes to promoting healthy living by becoming a member of the YMCA.

Cons

Other branch staff leadership may not be qualified for leadership positions they serve in. The YMCA lacked leadership and management training (until advancing these programs over the last 24 months) and appeared clueless regarding conflict resolution for the entirety of my employment. Very limited opportunity for advancement; surprisingly, hardly no advancement opportunities available for internal staff. When there are leadership opportunities they are extremely competitive without internal staff being given any advantage beyond the public applicants. The winning candidates seemed to be chosen out of organizational politics much more often than by skill, commitment, or ability to perform the leadership role. There was no fair analysis of employee contribution, no success metrics or regular review of performance, and no ethics reviews or conflict resolution practices for employees who experience an unfair scenario while working for the YMCA.

Advice to Management

Offer advancement opportunities and clear and honest assessments of employee performance and value. Create programs advancing those employees who exemplify leadership skills based on success metrics / performance metrics rather than loose subjective references of performance rendered by mid to low level branch management. Create an executive mentor program for your employees who are dedicated and committed to furthering your mission and membership. Once an employee reaches a certain number of years of service, discuss their career plan with them and offer support toward reaching their goals. You will begin keeping good employees instead of losing them, or letting them go feeling like they wasted years hoping to be a part of the /big picture/ they served tirelessly day in and day out, promoting healthy living, building community, and securing members who will become lifetime patrons. When you recognize that your biggest assets are your long time employees, and invest in them as much as they invest in your company's mission statement and goals, you will carry the YMCA to the next level of success.

7. "Part-time wellness specialist, MOD & membership sales representative"

Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome customer service and core values exhibited by staff. Many community involvement opportunities and free/discounted employee gym membership (must use if part-time employee). The YMCA organization in larger cities offers multiple branches in close proximity.

Cons

Annual commitment for fitness and health membership (locked in for 1-year). No member wide nutritional programing or diet guideline.

Advice to Management

Not much room for professional growth and full-time staff/management struggle to communicate association advancement, although some directors are a pleasure to work for.

8. "I loved working here. Definitely a great place to work"

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Randolph, NJ
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Randolph, NJ

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The managers and coworkers were great to work with

Cons

Great place to work in high school and college but there is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Great community involvement"

Former Employee - Wellness Coach, Membership Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach, Membership Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The YMCA was my first job. It was a wonderful growth experience with the regular ability to develop relationships within my community.

Cons

Growth opportuntiies, pay, and benefits are limited due to the not-for-profit tax status. A center will close if membership is not regular. In a 4 year span, I received a 10 cent raise. I stayed the duration because of my fellow employees, members, and continuing education. Roll-over with teenage and young professionals was about 1 year due to pay and irregular hours.

Advice to Management

Retention of good young employees will only come with some form of incentive base to stay or future growth opportunties.

10. "Good place to work, in the short-run"

Current Employee - Membership Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free membership for you and your household
    Flexible bosses
    Relaxed environment

Cons

Can get frustrating
    Low hourly wage