YMCA Reviews | Glassdoor

4,691 Employee Reviews

1. "Flexible Hours"

Former Employee - Membership Services Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Membership Services Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and management. Working alongside members wanting to achieve success. Very flexible schedule. Lots of room for advancement. Customer service experience.

Cons

Having to do member's dirty towel laundry. Even wearing sanitary gloves, this is a gross job handling someone's sweaty towels all day.

Advice to Management

Hire a 3rd party cleaning service for member's towels

2. "Front Desk Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandston, VA

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work enviroment, friendly members, fitness membership

Cons

Low pay, full time expectations for part time workers

3. "Great place"

Former Employee - Marketing in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Duluth, MN

I worked at YMCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and a nice work environment

Cons

There weren't any cons it was a great place to work

5. "Fitness instructor"

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people become more fit and bringing people together in fitness classes.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest but working for the community Y is very fulfilling.

6. "Perfect part time job"

Former Employee - YMCA Camp Counselor in Parkersburg, WV
    Former Employee - YMCA Camp Counselor in Parkersburg, WV

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They work well with your availability. Management is always available to assist in any way.

Cons

Would be nice to have a full time option for some positions.

7. "Lifeguard/swim instructor"

Former Employee - Lifeguard/Swim Instructor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard/Swim Instructor in Arlington, TX

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership, pleasant staff, fairly easy job, works with scheduling, you get to have fun, relax when you're not on stand

Cons

Outside all the time so be prepared with sunscreen and to get a tan. If you're uncomfortable going to people's homes this may not be the job for you

"Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - YMCA Summer Camp Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - YMCA Summer Camp Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Surrounded by great motivators and leaders
    - Commits to the core values

Cons

- Nothing negative to say about the company. The YMCA has provided me opportunities and has treated me well.

9. "Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off you a free membership to the YMCA, so you can go in and work out anytime you want. With all the work being done outside in the heat and running around you do lose some weight. Not to mention the tan. But the biggest pro to me is being a mentor to the campers enriching there lives with even the smallest lessons and experiences.

Cons

Your outside pretty much 80-90% of the time, so if you're not used or dislike to high temperatures, nature, sweat, etc this probably isn't the job for you. Kids can be difficult to handle in general, and some more than others. So you need to know how to properly identify, communicate, control, instruct and discipline anywhere between 1-20 (or more if groups are lumped together) children. With the children comes the parents. Chances are if the child isn't happy the parent(s) wont be either. Like the children, some parents are more difficult to communicate/deal with than others. None of these problems really made me want to quit but at times can make the job slightly challenging.

Advice to Management

Even though I always felt i could properly handle any situation handed to me, I did feel that other counselors felt overwhelmed with the jobs duties as the camp directors, assistant directors, and lead counselors would either be nowhere to be found, never assist the counselors, or neglect the fact that within theory they should be able to take on the role of a counselor when the time is necessary all at the same time complaining that the counselors aren't doing there jobs correctly. This is less prevalent when the people in those positions started out as regular counselors. Also in my experience as a counselor we received little to no support from branch staff outside of the day camp program. Just a little would be appreciated, such allowing us to have 2 small coolers of ice for the kids and camp staff that stay outside in the heat.

When scheduling staff try to be consistent on when counselors clock in and Clock out. The children need consistency in their lives, and this prevents children from being confused on who they'll with at a certain time as well as aiding with the flow of the days schedule/curriculum

Lastly, groups need to be consistent week to week. Strive to have the same kids in the same groups each. This prevents confusion among campers and counselors as to who they will be with. This also aids in the bond between the counselor and the children because as time goes on the counselors expectations will be instilled in the children and the counselor will be able to better handle his group as compared to having to learn new names each week (or even day). In addition to keeping the groups consistent week to week, I've found it beneficial in the same ways by separating the groups by gender AND age groups (5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12 [usually ends up a 9-12 group]).

10. "A really great organization that support you in work"

Former Employee - Case Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This organization provides so many services in all spectrums of life. It is a great organization to work for because it allows you to grow and expand in different areas of the organization.

Cons

This is definitely a place that makes you feel comfortable which at times could make you not want to accept other opportunities that aren't from them.

Advice to Management

None

"Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great supporting place to work

Cons

none I can think of

Showing 4,691 of 4,857 reviews